[comp.sys.amiga] Splitting Up Comp.Sys.Amiga

peterson@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu (Eric J. Peterson) (12/14/89)

[Editor's Note:  Sorry if this message has been distributed several times
across the net, but I've had problems with the mail system here.  AGAIN,
here is a repost.]

--

Seems as though the talk about creating a Comp.Sys.Amiga.Games has subsided ...
and Amiga-Relay crashed right before my message about it went through!  So

After taking a look at the messages in here extensively for the past four weeks
or so since the messages first started appearing regarding C.S.A.Games, I've
noticed that relatively few of the messages pertain to games.  However, C.S.A
is one of the top groups in terms of number and size of messages that pass
through it daily.  There is just too much in C.S.A to keep up with if I miss
even a day, and even though I am an avid user of ^N and K, there are just too
many message threads to sift through ... (for instance, I've found that K
usually only deletes two or three messages AT THE MOST on the average ... this
means that there are approximately 30-50 individual threads going on in C.S.A
or more at any one time).

I've also noticed that most of the messages DO fall into a few individual
categories.  Since it is not necessarily easy to sift through all of the C.S.A
messages to pick out individual categories, why not break them up into a few
separate groups?  This makes sense ... that is what individual groups are for.
Here is a proposed division of the current C.S.A* group ...

   comp.sys.amiga -- For miscelaneous or other short postings and message
      threads that don't fit anywhere else.  I would also recommend that
      game messages go here, in Comp.Sys.Amiga.Questions, or in
      Rec.Misc.Games.

   comp.sys.amiga.tech -- Same as the current group, which is for highly
      technical postings regarding hardware and AmigaDOS (and Amix as
      well hopefully! 8-)

   comp.sys.amiga.hardware -- For all the messages related to attaching
      various peripherals to your Amiga, especially hard drives, expansion
      chassis' (sorry, I'm a poor A-500 owner ...), expansion cards, etc.

   comp.sys.amiga.art -- Covering all aspects of the Amiga in graphics and
      sound production software and hardware, including topics such as
      genlocks, MIDI, and animation.  (Originally I had thought of
      C.S.A.Graphics or C.S.A.Anim, but .Art seemed to cover it all better)

   comp.sys.amiga.questions -- Similar to comp.unix.questions (whereas
      C.S.A.Tech is similar to comp.unix.wizards).  An area for messages
      such as "What Fish Disk is Gdinglefidget Ver 1.4 on?" or "I've got
      a problem using VLT with my Bogus Brothers 2400 modem ..."

There are various other ideas that fall into the "It-Would-Be-Nice-But-There-
Ain't-Enough-Readership" category, such as C.S.A.Games, C.S.A.AmigaDOS (or
Comp.OS.AmigaDOS ... probably the first one is better), C.S.A.Dealers ...
finally C.S.A.[Insert Your Interest Here].  But I think the above five groups
are a good suggestion.  Suppose that the combined average of C.S.A. and
C.S.A.T is 125 messages per day.  Distributing them out over five groups brings
each group down to 25 message per day (again on average), and it is easier to
avoid articles that you have no interest in (using the above, I personally
would skim C.S.A and C.S.A.Art and thoroughly read C.S.A.Questions).

I will probably get flamed by comp.sys.amiga.readers.die-hard for suggesting
the creation of three new groups, much less one.  But think about it ... the
bandwidth is very high in this group and new groups would provide the mechanism
for evening out the traffic and making interest areas manageable.  Again, this
concept is based not on a spur-of-the-moment idea for group creation, but after
observing the message patterns on the net for several weeks (please note that
this is an informal observation, but I will be happy to verify it if challenged
on it).

In regard to some of the other suggestions ... putting "GAME" in the subject
line won't work -- people just won't follow that suggestion.  Besides, if
everyone ends up putting their keyword for their particular message in the
subject line, isn't this effectively the same as creating a new group?

DISCLAIMER:  The opinions and ideas expressed here are just that -- opinions
and ideas.  As with all other open-minded and non-omniscient and
non-omnipresent individuals, I'm prone to error in my views -- prove me wrong
before you flame me for my beliefs.

Whew!  Been wanting to say that for a while.

Eric

  . |~~        Eric J. Peterson ... peterson@{cs,{nu,fsucs}.cs}.fsu.edu
 _O_]
[ V     "You cannot really know anything." -- William Payne (wpayne@digi.UUCP)
_< >_         "How do you know?" -- Dan'l DanehyOakes (djo@PacBell.COM)

don@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Donald R Lloyd) (12/14/89)

    And of course, once Commodore's UNIX finally gets here, we'll
probably need a comp.unix.amix newsgroup.

--
  Gibberish             .sig for sale or lease.
  is spoken             Contact don@vax1.acs.udel.edu for more information.

ag@amix.commodore.com (Keith Gabryelski) (12/15/89)

This is mostly to set followups to news.groups so this discussion
won't float in comp.sys.amiga forever but I do have something to
contribute.

In article <6073@nigel.udel.EDU> peterson@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu
(Eric J. Peterson) writes:
>   comp.sys.amiga.tech -- Same as the current group, which is for highly
>      technical postings regarding hardware and AmigaDOS (and Amix as
>      well hopefully! 8-)

Personally, I think Amix should be set aside from AmigaDos (which
should be comp.os.amiga by all rights).  comp.unix.amix makes sense to
me.

Currently there are a lot of messages in comp.sys.amiga.  I have a
kill file that only keeps those messages with the words AMIX or UNIX
in them to save time myself a lot of grief.

I see:

	comp.sys.amiga				# The system noise group
	comp.sys.amiga.tech			# Hacking the system
	comp.os.amiga OR comp.os.amigados	# AmigaDos questions
	comp.unix.amix				# Amix questions

and remove crossposting rights between these three groups :-).

Pax, Keith
--
ag@amix.commodore.com        Keith Gabryelski          ...!cbmvax!amix!ag

filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (Bela Lubkin) (12/15/89)

In article <6073@nigel.udel.EDU> Eric J. Peterson writes:
>Here is a proposed division of the current C.S.A* group ...
>   comp.sys.amiga -- For miscelaneous or other short postings [...]
>   comp.sys.amiga.tech -- Same as the current group [...]
>   comp.sys.amiga.hardware -- [...]
>   comp.sys.amiga.art -- [...]
>   comp.sys.amiga.questions -- Similar to comp.unix.questions [...]

I don't think it's necessary to break the group up into that many
pieces, yet, and I think it would be fairly difficult and flame-festish
to get that many groups approved through the newsgroup creation
mechanism (voting by the net at large).

I read the last 100 articles locally spooled to comp.sys.amiga and
decided whether they would be more appropriate for a .hardware group, a
.games group, a .art group, or would not fit any of those categories.
The 100 articles totalled 183K.  24 articles totalling 56K would belong
in a .hardware group; 10 totalling 23K would fit .games, and 13
totalling 21K would fit .art:

  category   art  size  art%  size%
  ---------  ---  ----  ----  -----
  .hardware   24   56    24    31
  .games      10   23    10    12
  .art        13   21    13    11
  other       53   83    53    45

This makes comp.sys.amiga.hardware look like a very good idea --
offloading 30% of comp.sys.amiga's traffic.  A group combining games and
art (.rec?) would take another 20%.  Separate groups for games and art
don't appear justified at the moment.

Anyone want to sponsor a .hardware vote?

Bela Lubkin    * *    //  filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us  CI$: 73047,1112 (slow)
     @       * *     //  belal@sco.com  ..ucbvax!ucscc!{gorn!filbo,sco!belal}
R Pentomino    *   \X/  Filbo @ Pyrzqxgl +408-476-4633 and XBBS +408-476-4945

armhold@topaz.rutgers.edu (George Armhold) (12/16/89)

Yes, let's see a c.s.a.hardware happen.

-George

ms361@leah.Albany.Edu (Mark Steinberger) (12/16/89)

In article <Dec.15.18.02.38.1989.399@topaz.rutgers.edu>, armhold@topaz.rutgers.edu (George Armhold) writes:
> Yes, let's see a c.s.a.hardware happen.

Is anyone taking votes yet? If so, please add mine to a "yes" for
comp.sys.amiga.hardware.

--Mark

filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (Bela Lubkin) (12/17/89)

In article <2297@leah.Albany.Edu> Mark Steinberger writes:
>Is anyone taking votes yet? If so, please add mine to a "yes" for
>comp.sys.amiga.hardware.

No, this is not how it works.  Usenet rules require a formal discussion
period (which cannot yet be considered to have begun) of at least two
weeks, followed by formal voting.

Since nobody else seems to be doing so, and since there does not seem to
be any objection to the idea, I will make a formal call for discussion
of comp.sys.amiga.hardware later today, Sunday, or Monday.  Please do
NOT send votes at this time; the rules do not allow premature votes to
be counted.

donw@zehntel.zehntel.com (Don White) (12/19/89)

In article <103.filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us> filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (Bela Lubkin) writes:
>In article <6073@nigel.udel.EDU> Eric J. Peterson writes:
>>Here is a proposed division of the current C.S.A* group ...

     In case anyone is curious, of the last 400 articles at my site,
  there were 40 articles concerning splitting of comp.sys.amiga. There
  were 8 postings about games. In other words, we have created five times
  the problem by all this discussion.

     Maybe we could get better mileage with what we have by trying the
  KISS rule. (Keep It Short and Simple.  What were you thinking?)

     Don White
     Box 271177 Concord, CA. 94527-1177
     zehntel!donw

mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Mike Smithwick) (12/20/89)

[]

I'd be strongly in favor of comp.sys.amiga.mike myself. It has a nice
ring to it.

                                                      *** mike smithwick ***

"When I was 18 I joined the centrifigal Air-force"
[disclaimer : nope, I don't work for NASA, I take full blame for my ideas]

migh@cuuxb.ATT.COM (~XT6561110~Mike Hall~C24~M26a~6029~) (12/21/89)

 > I'd be strongly in favor of comp.sys.amiga.mike myself. It has a nice
 > ring to it.
 >                                                       *** mike smithwick ***

I'll second that motion.  Have a good holiday season, everyone! (Keep warm!)

Mike Hall	att!cuuxb!migh		migh@cuuxb.att.com