[comp.sys.amiga] User Interfaces and Paradigms

kleonard@gvlv2.GVL.Unisys.COM (Ken Leonard) (12/21/89)

our tools just circling the target, and none of us really moving very fast
toward a solid hit?

In article <2468@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US> swan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joel Swan) writes:
> > > My main points are : The computer for the general users should not be
> > >			 command driven.
> > Menus and mice are great when you are first learning to use a system, but
> > they get in the way of experienced users.
---------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
--except when they are faster than keystrokes --unless they are slower
--except when they assist in infrequent things --unless an infrequent thing
maybe should not be assisted
--except when they feel easier --unless they feel clumsier
> > An ideal system should not
> > _force_ the user to use a mouse/menu system, just as an ideal system
> > should not _force_ the user to type commands. An ideal system should
> > allow the user to use _either_ the mouse or the keyboard, based on the
> > preference of the user. Neither the Mac nor the PC are even close to
> > ideal in this regard. .....
OK, OK. . . So this is all MOTHERHOOD, APPLE PIE and CHEVROLET. The REAL
question is (IMHO), "What system will let me have my choice?"
> Hmm. Sounds like an Amiga to me. Now's the time to take a closer look.
But, for me, Amiga is not an option. I'll spare the bureaucrappic/
administrivial gore, please just take my word for it. And understand
that there are a LOT of us in the same oarless boat--we have enough trouble
convincing those-who-hold-the-purse that we might have good use for _any_
"personal" computing tool. The only choices open to us, at all, are the
standard (chuckle?) MAC and IBMPClone types.

In article <4125@puff.cs.wisc.edu> schaut@cat9.cs.wisc.edu (Richard Schaut)
writes:
> In the midst of the flame war, Doug McDonald said something that, I think,
> touches on an idea that has been germinating in my head for the past few
> months:
> > [Intelligence] is the ability to solve complicated problems by
> > combining pieces of a solution, being able to see how to do a
> > given task by working with convenient pre-existing things. It is the
> > same kind of task that high schoolers learn (well, I did) in
> > geometry (proving theorems), that freshmen learn in calculus
> > class (doing a complicated integral by various tricks) and that I
> > do in my business, solving problems in theoretical physics.
And what I want on my desk is SOMETHING that will help me see the pieces
of the problem, let me look at the pieces from multiple viewpoints, keep
a wide range of tools within close reach, and facilitate the combination
and application of the tools.
> The current situation on both the Macs and the PCs is marked by the
> existence of monolithic/do-everythin-immaginable programs.
---------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
And I assume, maybe rashly, that Richard does _not_ mean just "integrated"
spreadsheet/database/wordmunger thingies and such. How much do I wish
that Microsoft Word could _pipe_ its output to a filter instead of
just a printer or printer-file! Could I use a three- or four-stage,
multi-output filter to sort incoming mail! Would I like to be able to
put any of the above in a can and hang it on a menu choice for routine
operations and still be able to invoke all (or part?) of it manually
modified for unusual needs? What about my umpteen-piece [proprietary
name deleted] something-analyzer process?
> Will the
> advent of multitasking/multithreading OS' on both machines result in
> a shift from the paradigm of the monolith to the paradigm of programs
> built from small building blocks that the user can piece together to
> fit his own needs?
Good Grief, I hope so.!.!
> If the interprocess communication facilities are
> simple yet quick enough, we could see another revolution in the personal
> computer industry.
> The chances of this are even more enhanced by the
> device independance built into both new systems.
Well, sort-of, so far. . . What we mostly have is the ability to put
image-like data (image of picture or image of text or image of graph or image
of ?) onto any of a number of image-mode devices. Or the ability to pass
the same set of text-stream-like data into any text-stream-input programs.
Or the ability of a document-formatting program to accept document-like
data from any of several document-oriented file formats.
What we _need_ is something closer to _device-class_independence_. So maybe
we can pipe a stream of numeric fields from a network simulation program
into a grep-like selector then to
a spreadsheet-like reducer then to a MSword-like formatter then to a page-
grabber to make frame images I can use in an overhead projector to present
a network load analysis to my client!
> The best thing about
> such a shift is that everybody wins, especially the user.
Well, eventually probably so. But in the interim, we're caught between the
PClone/MS folk who wouldn't be caught dead putting a picture of something on
the screen, and the AppleOrchardists who wouldn't be caught dead letting
us do something for which they haven't devised an excessively cute and
overly abstract icon.
----------------
Here's a scene I'd like to see...
--I've just finished using a table-oriented text-based editor to update the
parameters for a simulation run.
--I click on the NAMEPLATE of my network analyzer.
--The analyzer needs a model file, so it asks me which one and I just click
on the right one.
--And the analyzer needs a parameters file, so it asks me and I click on it.
--Then I click on th output-filter-munger.
--And now the analyzer has all the info it needs, so it starts to execute.
--And the filter-munger is set up to ask/confirm its selector parameters, so
it shows me the defaults and I just click because they're OK.
--Then I click on the documenter-formatter.
--And now the munger has all the info it needs so it starts to run with
input piped from the analyzer.
--Then I click on the page-grabber.
--And the formatter has all it needs, so it starts to run.
--Finally I click on the "new setup" option of the laserprinter icon.
--And the printhandler asks me for media parameters and shows me a list
of choices.
--And I click on "transparency sheets" and the printhandler starts spooling-
forming the output from the page grabber.
--And then I click on the "background" trigger and the whole thing gets out
of the way (and continues to run) while I read may latest netmail.
When I get a system that lets me do something mostly like that, I'll
feel like I'm making real progress.
regardz,
Ken