[comp.sys.amiga] DNET woes ...

Somebody a few posts ago was compliaing that
dnet would start ftem, exit, start it again and so on...

Matt and somebody else blamed it on the modem.

Well, I start dent -X -8 -b9600 on the amiga
There is a piece of wire between the amiga and the sun, nothing else.
I get to the login:  get logged in, and type dnet

Then the amiga says "DNET RUNNING", an FTERM comes up
and then goes away. UNtil recently then another FTERM window would
come up and so on.

Im not sure what I changed, but now after the FTERM goes away, the
DNET v2.01.10 window comes back with the suns name  in the window.

If i go over to the sun and try starting some dnet program, then wierd
chars appear in the amigas dnet window.

Any guesses?
Iv'e go over and over the dnet docs and im sure all my paths
are correct.
REAL NAME: Joe Porkka   jap@frith.cl.msu.edu

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (07/25/89)

In article <3906@cps3xx.UUCP> porkka@frith.UUCP (Joe Porkka) writes:
>Well, I start dent -X -8 -b9600 on the amiga

You might want to try:
Dnet -X -8 -h0 -b9600

The -h0 disables the auto-hangup feature for when DCD is not high.
I.e., without -h0, it will hangup after connecting when it sees that
DCD is not high. This appears to be what is happening in your case.

       Kent Polk - Southwest Research Institute
 {cs.utexas.edu, gatech!petro sun!texsun}!swrinde!kent
              kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
       "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing"

marc@cbmvax.UUCP (Marc Rifkin - CATS) (07/26/89)

When using DNET on a direct connect setup, I usually use the -h option
-it disables the feature that will "hang up" DNET if there is no
"carrier detect" where there is none when you're not on a telephone
hook up.
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong!
--
Marc Rifkin -- C. A. T. S.
{uunet|allegra|rutgers}!cbmvax!marc

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (07/26/89)

In article <19024@swrinde.nde.swri.edu> kent@swrinde.UUCP (Kent D. Polk) writes:
>In article <3906@cps3xx.UUCP> porkka@frith.UUCP (Joe Porkka) writes:
>>Well, I start dent -X -8 -b9600 on the amiga
>
>You might want to try:
>Dnet -X -8 -h0 -b9600

I was the original "complainer" on this ..

-h0 *does* work

Matt tells me that -h0 shouldn't be necessary and that if I have to use
that then my cable is probably wrong.

I haven't looked into the cabling yet.  Nor have I figured it all out
completely yet..  Haven't had enough time really.

I do like the software.
--
<- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david@ms.uky.edu>
<- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (07/27/89)

In article <12280@s.ms.uky.edu> david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) writes:
>In article <19024@swrinde.nde.swri.edu> kent@swrinde.UUCP (Kent D. Polk) writes:
>>Dnet -X -8 -h0 -b9600
[...]
>-h0 *does* work
>
>Matt tells me that -h0 shouldn't be necessary and that if I have to use
>that then my cable is probably wrong.
[...]

The -h0 is necessary for when one can't implement the control lines
(DCD in particular) as in my condition where my serial port cable goes
into a 9600 baud current loop converter and off into the nether regions
of the basement where lurks Swrinde - our monstrous Sun fileserver.
Two TX lines, two RX lines.  No handshake.

>I do like the software.

Yep. You know, Dnet is the second most useful piece of software I use.
I think it's about time I sent Matt a donation - I think I remember
him stating in his documentation that he wouldn't turn it down :^)

(Gotta add enough filler to get Postnews to accept this thingy)

mboen@nixpbe.UUCP (Martin Boening) (07/27/89)

usenet@cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner) writes:

> [some stuff about dnet on the amiga, which I won't include]

Are you sure that comp.os.minix, which after all is a newsgroup concerning
discussions about the MINIX operating system, was the right group to
include in a list of groups to crosspost to for a subject like that ? Is
there a dnet program for MINIX, perhaps ? Does MINIX run on your Amiga yet?

Probably the answers are all 'NO'. So please be careful about crosspostings.
Discussion of Amiga-specific stuff should only take place in comp.sys.amiga
or comp.sys.amiga.tech. Feel free to discuss MINIX on the Amiga in
comp.os.minix, however.

Martin

PS: This is NOT supposed to be a flame post (I sure hope it doesn't sound
like one).
--
Email: in the   USA ->  ...!uunet!philabs!linus!nixbur!mboening.pad
       outside  USA ->  {...!mcvax}!unido!nixpbe!mboening.pad

wayne@hcr.UUCP (Wayne Feick) (07/28/89)

Try adding the "-h" option.  I needed that to get my A500 to talk to
our Sun.

rtczegledi@crocus.waterloo.edu (Richard Czegledi) (08/07/89)

Wanted: New Aux: device or info on how to make one.

Hi.  If anyone could help me locate or would be willing to program
an aux: type device for reasonable $$ with the following features I would
be really happy:

The ability to 'not listen' to the serial port, and prevent any output from
the cli running through aux: to go through the CLI port.

The ability to inteligently change baud.
It would be nice if it didn't crash the machine when funny stuff happens
(the 1.3 aux: usualy crashes when someone picks up the phone on the other
end of the line).   Also, when I do a newcli aux: with the comm parameters
set for 2400 8N1, and someone calls, the modem answers, but the aux: device
usualy freezes, and won't give access to the cli.

Also, it would be great if it supported an Arexx port where I could command it to do certain things.  It should be able to filter a few nasty characters (^C
and ^D), as well as not hang when I do an echo >aux: "junk" (which sometimes
crashes the 1.3 aux: device).  It would be beneficial, as well if this aux:
device could also feature a 'tap' mode, where an external process of my own
device could view the session as if it were running localy (through a console
window).

That's an outline of what I need.  I'd be willing to hire someone to code it (preferably in C), but assembler would be OK).  There are a few other things that would have to be in it, but it shouldn't be too tough (the current aux: device
is only 2k).  If someone could supply code to the existing Aux: device, I
might be able to accomplish my goals my self.

Anything you can do would be great.  If you're interested in programming such
a beast for me, you can contact me at:

Spaghetti Western Words and Images
100 Kinzie Ave.
Kitchener, Ontario.
N2A 2J5   TelNum: (519)578-8525

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (08/11/89)

In article <15709@watdragon.waterloo.edu> rtczegledi@crocus.waterloo.edu (Richard Czegledi) writes:
>Wanted: New Aux: device or info on how to make one.
>(description of desired features)

The AUX: equivalent which we supply with the ASDG Dual Serial Board will
do much of what you want. For example: Command Line setting of serial
parameters.

(There's a lot more to having an expansion serial device then having the
hardware.)

pk

--
                        Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc.
ARPA: madnix!perry@cs.wisc.edu   {uunet|ncoast}!marque!

bmacintyre@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Blair MacIntyre) (12/13/89)

New and exciting problems in the wonderfull world of DNET.

I got the second newest version (Nov27th dates) and it worked, except
for the fact that there was no nfs-handler.  So when the newest version
came out (Dec2nd dates) I ftp'd it and got the nfs-handler.  But it
won't work!

So, I figured that something else must have changed, since the dnet
executable had been updated.  So, I moved it to my bin directories, too.
So, now I had the entire newest version installed.

And now nothing works ...

Anybody have the very newest version working???  I had the first posted
version of the 7bit version worked, but no more ...

Symptoms:

- I am using a Sytek network (fast 7bit packet network to hook multiple
  machines of different types to lots of terminals) to connect to our
  Vax with my Amiga.

- when I run the newest version, the Vax kicks me out!  No core file,
  no nothing.

  what I think might be happening is the dnet on the unix end is stoping.
  Whenever I stop in with a break, it dumps me out, so this would make
  sence.

Help!
--
-- Blair MacIntyre, Professional Leech on Society ( aka CS Graduate Student )
-- bmacintyre@{watcgl, watdragon, violet}.{waterloo.edu, UWaterloo.ca}

akl@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Rob Tillotson) (12/13/89)

In article <19234@watdragon.waterloo.edu> bmacintyre@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Blair MacIntyre) writes:
>New and exciting problems in the wonderfull world of DNET.
>
>So, I figured that something else must have changed, since the dnet
>executable had been updated.  So, I moved it to my bin directories, too.
>So, now I had the entire newest version installed.
>
>And now nothing works ...
>
>- when I run the newest version, the Vax kicks me out!  No core file,
>  no nothing.

     You know, this sounds very familiar.  When the first 7-bit version, it
worked fine for me, but of course the nfs-handler was not there.  Then, I
picked up the new version and installed the new dnet binary.  Much to my
surprise, as soon as it started up, it opened the fterm window, exchanged some
data, then disconnected me.  I put back the old dnet executable and tried
nfs-handler... upon mounting NF0: and cd'ing to it, a bunch of data is
exchanged (and a few things written to the NFS log file; I recompiled the
server with the DEBUG option on) but the Amiga end just hangs forever until
dnet is killed, at which time I get a typical "NF0: not found" message from cd.
An examination of the output of 'ps' shows that there are three processes
running on the Unix system, with no control terminals, that seem to be
associated with the NFS server.  I haven't had time to look into it further.
By the way, while the nfs-handler is hung the rest of dnet works just fine
so I can fterm, putfiles, and getfiles all day with no problem...

     By the way, I am running dnet on a Sequent Symmetry running Dynix
(pretty much 4.3bsd), and am connected by a dialup connection through an
AT&T Information Systems Network which gives a 7-bit even parity link with
XON/XOFF flow control...

G'day, eh?
--TS

--
Rob Tillotson                         Internet:  akl@mace.cc.purdue.edu
320 Brown St. #406                      BITNET:  ROBT@PURCCVM

jac@muslix.llnl.gov (James Crotinger) (12/14/89)

  Did you install the new DNET executables on both ends? When I went to
the newest version (w/nfs-handler included in the archive) I somehow
didn't get the newest dnet onto my Amiga and it wouldn't work. Once
I got all the newer versions installed, everything worked as I described
earlier (i.e. dnet works, amiga clients work, and UNIX clients work from
an fterm window, but not from the Sun).

  I've never been able to get nfs-handler to work. Anyone else?

  Jim

evgabb@sdrc.UUCP (Rob Gabbard) (12/14/89)

I've got DNET installed on a Sun 4/330 and my A2500. I can login to the Sun
from my Amiga, start up dnet (which fires up fterm) but anything I do from
there on says either "Unable to connect" or "DOpen: No such file or directory".
What gives ? I am dialing into an HP and then rlogin'ing into the Sun. Could
this be screwing it up ? My $DNETDIR is on the SUN's local disk. Also, what
significance does DNETHOST have ?

Rob Gabbard (uunet!sdrc!evgabb)                 _    /|
Workstation Systems Programmer                  \'o.O'
Structural Dynamics Research Corporation        =(___)=

himacdonald@grand.waterloo.edu (Hamish Macdonald) (12/16/89)

In article <41448@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> jac@muslix.UUCP (James Crotinger) writes:

>  Did you install the new DNET executables on both ends? When I went to
>the newest version (w/nfs-handler included in the archive) I somehow
>didn't get the newest dnet onto my Amiga and it wouldn't work. Once
>I got all the newer versions installed, everything worked as I described
>earlier (i.e. dnet works, amiga clients work, and UNIX clients work from
>an fterm window, but not from the Sun).
>
>  I've never been able to get nfs-handler to work. Anyone else?
>
>  Jim

Blair and I now have DNET working between his Amiga and Vaxen running
the Waterloo version of 4.3BSD.   The nfs-handler wouldn't work at first.
It hung while reading from the DNET connection.  Our debugging efforts
discovered a problem with structure alignment and stuff, not to mention
byte-ordering between the Amiga and the Vax.

I've hacked up the Unix side (snfs) as well as the nfs-handler on the
Amiga side to allow it to work (and work properly).  I haven't fixed
all the bugs yet, but it's basically working.

I changed the object locking/opening/examining/examining next code
to make it work better.

I haven't tried compiling and running the modified version on any other
version of Unix, so I don't know if it is portable.  I'm using the
internet byte ordering macros for communicating words and longs between
the Amiga and Vax, so it SHOULD work.

Hamish.
Hamish Macdonald.                          watmath!grand!himacdonald
                                      himacdonald@grand.waterloo.edu
"Guns seldom solve any problems; they merely decide whose will shall

bmacintyre@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Blair MacIntyre) (12/16/89)

akl@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Rob Tillotson) writes:
>In article <19234@watdragon.waterloo.edu> bmacintyre@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Blair MacIntyre) writes:
>>So, now I had the entire newest version installed.
>>And now nothing works ...
>>- when I run the newest version, the Vax kicks me out!  No core file,
>>  no nothing.
>
>     You know, this sounds very familiar.  When the first 7-bit version, it
>worked fine for me, but of course the nfs-handler was not there.  Then, I
>picked up the new version and installed the new dnet binary.  Much to my
>surprise, as soon as it started up, it opened the fterm window, exchanged some
>data, then disconnected me.

Ok, the problem for me was this:

	For some reason, starting dnet on the Amiga with
		"run dnet"  No args!
	worked.  When the new version fixed some bugs, I am now required
	to explicitely specify the protocol and parity

		"run dnet -P0 -Z2"

	Works!

>I put back the old dnet executable and tried
>nfs-handler... upon mounting NF0: and cd'ing to it, a bunch of data is
>exchanged (and a few things written to the NFS log file; I recompiled the
>server with the DEBUG option on) but the Amiga end just hangs forever until
>dnet is killed, at which time I get a typical "NF0: not found" message from cd.

Hamish (my officemate) describes the solution to this problem in another
article.  In a nutshell, byte ordering differences between the Vax and
the 68000 are the root of the problem.  He fixed it.  I'm too lazy. :-)

>     By the way, I am running dnet on a Sequent Symmetry running Dynix
>(pretty much 4.3bsd), and am connected by a dialup connection through an
>AT&T Information Systems Network which gives a 7-bit even parity link with
>XON/XOFF flow control...

Definately specify -P0 and -Z2 then ...

Blair, procrastinating from doing that essay!
--

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) (12/21/89)

>  Did you install the new DNET executables on both ends? When I went to
>the newest version (w/nfs-handler included in the archive) I somehow
>didn't get the newest dnet onto my Amiga and it wouldn't work. Once

BTW -- has anyone done a SYS V port of DNET yet ??

"Perfume and leather baby , you and me together baby,
  what good is living in paradise, if you don't let yourself once or twice."
 -Tiffany

 Kenneth J. Jamieson ---- THE BOSS at Xanadu Enterprises Inc.
      UUCP: tron1@tronsbox.UUCP  BEST PATH ---> uunet!tronsbox!tron1
      Sysop, The Penthouse ]I[ BBS - (201)759-8450 / (201)759-8568