[comp.sys.amiga] Miniscribe hard disk won't spin up

In <1513@utkcs2.cs.utk.edu>, mueller@alphard.cs.utk.edu (Carl Mueller) writes:
>---
>
>I have a Miniscribe 3012 10 meg hard disk.  I had it working fine with
>a Mac system for a bit, then tonight I reworked it to go with my Amiga.
>Before I attached it to anything, I tried powering just the drive up
>to make sure it was still okay.  It wasn't!

What is 'reworking it'?

>The drive will just produce a beep-like sound (sort of a high pitched
>buzzing) for about 3 seconds, make a slight click sound as if wanting
>to spin up but deciding not to, and then it will just flash its LED
>in a repeating pattern of short-long-short-long-pause.
>
>Does anyone know what this means?  Is it shot, or what?

Possibly the power supply you are using is insfficient, if you have changed the
power supply. A floppy supply, for example, just won't cut it.

It could be that it won't spin up because it needs some signals attached to the
interface. Try hooking it up to the Amiga and see if it works.

>p.s.  Yes, a 10-meg drive is tiny, but it was cheap!

Them's the best kind. :-)

-larry

--
" All I ask of my body is that it carry around my head."
         - Thomas Alva Edison -

mueller@alphard.cs.utk.edu (Carl Mueller) (12/18/89)

---

I have a Miniscribe 3012 10 meg hard disk.  I had it working fine with
a Mac system for a bit, then tonight I reworked it to go with my Amiga.
Before I attached it to anything, I tried powering just the drive up
to make sure it was still okay.  It wasn't!

The drive will just produce a beep-like sound (sort of a high pitched
buzzing) for about 3 seconds, make a slight click sound as if wanting
to spin up but deciding not to, and then it will just flash its LED
in a repeating pattern of short-long-short-long-pause.

Does anyone know what this means?  Is it shot, or what?

-Carl Mueller (mueller@alphard.cs.utk.edu)

p.s.  Yes, a 10-meg drive is tiny, but it was cheap!

mueller@alphard.cs.utk.edu (Carl Mueller) (12/21/89)

---

Thanks to all who responded.  I took the drive back to the place where I
bought it, hoping to get some help, and they traded it for a Rodime drive.
This was a pleasant surprise, and now I have a working SCSI hard disk drive
system (even if it's only 10 meg).

For the Amiga people I'd like to share my experiences with some mail-order
dealers.  I was looking for a SCSI controller for my A500 and decided upon
the Supra interface.  I called MCS since I had had a good experience ordering
some software from them earlier.  This time I was to be disappointed.

They told me that the controller plus the game I also ordered were in stock
and would be sent right away.  Nearly three weeks later, I call (on Monday)
to find out what happened.  They told me that the order had been out of stock
but was shipped last Friday.  Next week, with no package, I called again.
This time they said that they would get the controllers in a couple of days,
but that my game had been shipped already.  Next week, still no package, I
call again.  No controllers yet, they say, and my game should arrive any
time now.  I cancelled the order.

I placed a new order from Lightspeed.  They told me the controller would be
out of stock for five days, and asked whether I wanted the game shipped now
or with the controller.  I asked for the latter option, and in a little over
a week the order arrived.  I even got a better price than MCS had.

In short, MCS thumbs down; Lightspeed thumbs up.

Next question to ponder:  Who has the best price on a Mitsubishi DiamondScan?
(also, how many Diamondscan models are there, anyhow?)

-Carl Mueller (mueller@alphard.cs.utk.edu)