[comp.sys.amiga] 323MB SCSI HardDrive for AMIGA

) (11/30/89)

>BTW the company also has MAXTOR XT-3280 (280MB/244MB formatted) 30 MS
>SCSI drives for $899.00 NEW.

Is the 3280 a 1/2 height drive (will it mount in an Amiga 2000)?

Mark Kaye		|		|				|
Box 172, Munster Hamlet	| 613-838-3580  | kaye@fscore.dec.com		|
Ontario, Canada K0A 3P0	|		| DEC fscore::kaye or kaye @kao	|

QP06%PACE.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (12/06/89)

Hello,

   I have found a 323 MB formatted SCSI drive with 17.5 MS seek for the
unbelievable price of $1,295.00. But before I buy it I have to make sure
that I can control it. I have a 2090, but I have had trouble using it
with non-standard SCSI drives, ie. Rodime 103 MB drives. It works fine
with normal drives ie. those supported directly through PREP. I want to
get theIVS Trumpcard (I know it's slower) because of the MAC partition
abilities. I also want an autobooting controller that can be shut-off
ie. If I don't want the drive It isn't there. I can't do this with my
2090 currently because my system locks. Is this normal? Any opinions?

BTW the company also has MAXTOR XT-3280 (280MB/244MB formatted) 30 MS
SCSI drives for $899.00 NEW.

The Company is IME in Boston (617) 254-0392.
P.S. Can anyone in USENET see this or is this distributed only through
BITNET????
Scott C. Kennedy (SCK @ YKTVMT)            |    (QP06000 @ PACE)
Graphics/Visualization/Image Systems       |  Computer Science Dept.
I.B.M. Thomas J. Watson Research Facilty   |      Pace University

%udacsvm.bitnet@clsepf51.bitnet, (12/07/89)

olson%uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu@cunyvm.cuny.edu (12/07/89)

>Is the 3280 a 1/2 height drive (will it mount in an Amiga 2000)?

No, I have one from IME and it is a full height 5.25 inch drive.  I am running
it with a Kronos controller (on my 2000) and I get Dperf2 results of about
300-400k for reads and writes.  The access time is 30ms and it formatted out
to 236.7 megs on my drive.  Hope this helps.
                      Todd Olson

olson@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

visinfo@ethz.UUCP (VISINFO Moderators) (12/21/89)

In article <5433@nigel.udel.EDU> QP06%PACE.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:
>Hello,
>
>   I have found a 323 MB formatted SCSI drive with 17.5 MS seek for the
>unbelievable price of $1,295.00.

Is this harddrive new or second hand? If it is new i'd like to know what
drive it is. I could also use 323 MB for a reasonable price.

>But before I buy it I have to make sure
>that I can control it. I have a 2090, but I have had trouble using it
>with non-standard SCSI drives, ie. Rodime 103 MB drives. It works fine
>with normal drives ie. those supported directly through PREP.

I don't think that you can control this drive with the 2090. We have tested
a WREN VI (661 MB) drive with the 2090 and it didn't work. The problem is
that there is a bug on the 2090 hddisk.device which reduces the maximum
size of a harddrive. The limit is 256MB. This is caused by cutting the
4 most significant bits of the SCSI block number (i'm not quite sure about
it, I can ask my friend if anyone want more info about that).
You can format this drive, BUT when you later work with your drive and it
gets fuller and wants to write the higher block numbers your files get lost.
You can also make a 256 MB partition or several smaller partitions, BUT
the total size of all partitions must be smaller than 256MB. The 2090 limits
not the size of a partition, it's the accessable range of the harddrive.
We found out that this bug is caused by the hddisk.device and not by the
hardware. We could access the whole harddrive from the UNIX Bootrom on the
A2620 card.

>I want to
>get theIVS Trumpcard (I know it's slower) because of the MAC partition
>abilities.

I heard a rumour that ReadySoft is working on a 2090 support for the A-MAX.
Has anyone else also heard this?
I don't recommend a Trumpcard controller for such a large drive. The bigger and
faster the drive is the the better the controller should be. The HardFrame is
currently the only controller that supports the full speed of a hard drive.
The speed is only limited by the drive itself. (We got 1.3 Meg/sec with the
WREN RUNNER).
The speed of a 2090 is limited by the controller. It's about 873 KBytes/sec
with WREN drives.

>I also want an autobooting controller that can be shut-off
>ie. If I don't want the drive It isn't there. I can't do this with my
>2090 currently because my system locks. Is this normal? Any opinions?

There is a possibility to Autoboot with FFS on all 2090 controllers. You also
can shut off the harddrive access by pressing the right mouse button while
booting. You can have all this and a lot of other utilities like noclick, anti
virus, fastmemfirst with the SCA Turbo Kickstart. We all have SCA Kickstarts
with 2090 now for months and it's really great. You can probably download it
from the FAUG BBS in San Francisco. If I get many requests I can post it.

>The Company is IME in Boston (617) 254-0392.
>P.S. Can anyone in USENET see this or is this distributed only through
>BITNET????

I am in Usenet. It is distributed here also.

/* Peter Simeon,      UUCP: |       //                             //     */
/*  visinfo@bernina.ethz.ch |      //    Long live the AMIGA!     //      */
/* BIX:  hardwiz            |    \X/                            \X/       */