[comp.sys.amiga] User interface

kuo@boulder.Colorado.EDU (KUO ANDY Y) (12/18/89)

In article <1989Dec17.223025.6618@me.toronto.edu> yap@me.utoronto.ca (Davin Yap) writes:
>I wrote:
>>Why hasn't anyone sue the big blue for
>>- giving user the *ugly*, *unfriendly* text based interface from hell?
>>- shamelessly cheat the users for a actually not so good computer?
>>- rudely made many users' life miserable and waster users' time?

>[lines deleted]
>	Then again, my first summer job was writing assembly language
>	programs for these things back in '85 (aside: I didn't even know
                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^
>	what assembly language was, when I got the job :-) and I can see
>	how people who can't intuit the innards of DOS/Unix might have
>	a problem.

  I believe we are at the end of the 80's and almost into the 90's :-).

  Back in '85, people would "wow" at a application like MacPaint,
people would be happy if they can see a menu listing of commands.

  But today, you will probably want to use some high level language
and make some library/toolbox calls to draw windows, control the mouse,
make the interface "standard".
  Assembly language is fast and I have nothing against it, but it is
not practical to program a sophiscated application using it on today's
fast computers.

  My main points are : The computer for the general users should not be
                       command driven.
                       The real use for computers when *everyone* can
                       use it as a source for information/communication,
                       just like a telephone.

  To reduce the learning curve and be intuitive, standalized pull
down menus, mouse, window, dialogs is superior than purely command
driven.

  I believe the netters will agree with me that the success of UNIX is
not because of its command driven interface.  The power is in its system,
after so many fixes.
  Here is the point again, why are people building XWindow, *View..etc on
it?  If the innard of UNIX is so intuitive, why bother with these
windowing systems?

  After one spend enought time with a system, something that's not
so intuitive will become *nature* to him.  It is simply unfair
to say that system is "intuitive" to the *general users* when he
spend hours on it.
  I probably really have not "intuite the innards of DOS", I think
these GUIs have spoiled me -- and after I have seen what people
are going through with the DOS.

jacobs@cs.utah.edu (Steven R. Jacobs) (12/18/89)

In article <14969@boulder.Colorado.EDU> kuo@boulder.Colorado.EDU (KUO ANDY Y) writes:
>     My main points are : The computer for the general users should not be
>			  command driven.
>			  The real use for computers when *everyone* can
>			  use it as a source for information/communication,
>			  just like a telephone.
>
>     To reduce the learning curve and be intuitive, standalized pull
>   down menus, mouse, window, dialogs is superior than purely command
>   driven.

Menus and mice are great when you are first learning to use a system, but
they get in the way of experienced users.  An ideal system should not
_force_ the user to use a mouse/menu system, just as an ideal system
should not _force_ the user to type commands.  An ideal system should
allow the user to use _either_ the mouse or the keyboard, based on the
preference of the user.  Neither the Mac nor the PC are even close to
ideal in this regard.  Apple had a great opportunity to make an ideal
system with the Mac, but they blew it by forcing the mouse on everyone.
Sure, lots of applications will give you a choice in many commands, but
this is not part of the standard interface -- you can't even start up
the application without using the mouse.  This is a bug, not a feature.
It would have been better if everything could be done both ways.

>  I believe the netters will agree with me that the success of UNIX is
> not because of its command driven interface.  The power is in its system,
> after so many fixes.
>   Here is the point again, why are people building XWindow, *View..etc on
> it?  If the innard of UNIX is so intuitive, why bother with these
> windowing systems?

The point _isn't_ that mice/menus are bad.  The point is that being
*forced* to use the mouse is bad.  For many, it is much more efficient
to type in commands rather than drag the mouse through a bunch of
menus.  For others, it is much easier to use the menus.  The Mac
doesn't give the user much choice.  If keyboards are so evil, then
why do so many Mac applications have keystroke "shortcuts" for most
of their commands?  Again, giving the user a _choice_ is a better
solutions.

--
Steve Jacobs  ({bellcore,hplabs,uunet}!utah-cs!jacobs, jacobs@cs.utah.edu)

casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) (12/19/89)

In article <JACOBS.89Dec18090720@cmos.cs.utah.edu> jacobs@cs.utah.edu
(Steven R. Jacobs) writes:
> Menus and mice are great when you are first learning to use a system, but
> they get in the way of experienced users.

Sorry, but this is an absurd statement.  There are many thousands of
experienced users who are very happy with the Mac interface.

> ...An ideal system should
> allow the user to use _either_ the mouse or the keyboard, based on the
> preference of the user.

This may be so, but the expense of developing two user interfaces for one
system would be rather high.  The real benefit of a type-in user interface
comes in being able to write a script of many commands to be executed as a
batch, and in applications where this makes sense, the application
developers have provided macro facilities that serve the purpose.  For
programmers, Apple's own MPW offers a highly customizable interface that
give you just about as much type-in as you want, or as little.  There is
no real need to provide something as specialized as a type-in interface at
the system level, forcing everyone to pay for it.

> Neither the Mac nor the PC are even close to
> ideal in this regard.  Apple had a great opportunity to make an ideal
> system with the Mac, but they blew it by forcing the mouse on everyone.

There is nothing in the Mac that forces any application to use the mouse.
In the early days of the Mac, quite a few developers did quick ports of
their PC applications, with type-in interfaces, to the Mac.  Guess what?
Nobody would buy them.  SOMEBODY wants the mouse whole lot!

> Sure, lots of applications will give you a choice in many commands, but
> this is not part of the standard interface -- you can't even start up
> the application without using the mouse.  This is a bug, not a feature.

No, friend, this is a feature that you don't like.

> If keyboards are so evil, then
> why do so many Mac applications have keystroke "shortcuts" for most
> of their commands?

Because that is a standard part of the Mac user interface.

> Again, giving the user a _choice_ is a better solution.

Talk to the application developers.

David Casseres

Exclaimer:  Hey!

a218@mindlink.UUCP (Charlie Gibbs) (12/19/89)

In article <5828@internal.Apple.COM> casseres@apple.com (David Casseres)
writes:

>In article <JACOBS.89Dec18090720@cmos.cs.utah.edu> jacobs@cs.utah.edu
>(Steven R. Jacobs) writes:
>> Menus and mice are great when you are first learning to use a system, but
>> they get in the way of experienced users.
>
>Sorry, but this is an absurd statement.  There are many thousands of
>experienced users who are very happy with the Mac interface.

     There may be many thousands of experienced users who aren't,
and many more thousands who would like to choose one or the other
according to their needs or moods.  I'm sure I could find many
thousands of experienced users who are very happy with the IBM
interface; this doesn't justify calling a preference for mice and
menus "absurd".

>> ...An ideal system should
>> allow the user to use _either_ the mouse or the keyboard, based on the
>> preference of the user.
>
>This may be so, but the expense of developing two user interfaces for one
>system would be rather high.

     I could call this an "absurd statement" but I'll stay away
from such polemics.  :-)  In fact, writing a command interpreter
is easy enough to do that Commodore provides _two_ with the Amiga,
and a number of other people have written their own excellent
alternatives.

>                              The real benefit of a type-in user interface
>comes in being able to write a script of many commands to be executed as a
>batch, and in applications where this makes sense, the application
>developers have provided macro facilities that serve the purpose.

     This is _a_ real benefit.  Whether it's _the_ real benefit
depends on whether you want to use commands for anything else.

>                                                                   For
>programmers, Apple's own MPW offers a highly customizable interface that
>give you just about as much type-in as you want, or as little.
          ^^^^^^^^^^
     'Nuff said.

>                                                                There is
>no real need to provide something as specialized as a type-in interface at
>the system level, forcing everyone to pay for it.

     Specialized?  Ask a Unix user how specialized a command line
is.  As for "forcing everyone to pay for it", the Amiga's CLI
doesn't even appear unless you specifically ask for it.  If instead
you're referring to development costs again, I don't think the
Amiga costs so much more than a Mac that people will complain.  :-)

Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.UUCP
"I could never get the hang of ideology.  I do the rock, myself."
        -- Tim Curry

plouff@levers.enet.dec.com (12/19/89)

In article <5828@internal.Apple.COM>, casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) writes...
>In article <JACOBS.89Dec18090720@cmos.cs.utah.edu> jacobs@cs.utah.edu
>(Steven R. Jacobs) writes:
>> ...An ideal system should
>> allow the user to use _either_ the mouse or the keyboard, based on the
>> preference of the user.
>
>This may be so, but the expense of developing two user interfaces for one
>system would be rather high.  The real benefit of a type-in user interface
>comes in being able to write a script of many commands to be executed as a
>batch, and in applications where this makes sense, the application
>developers have provided macro facilities that serve the purpose.  For
>programmers, Apple's own MPW offers a highly customizable interface that
>give you just about as much type-in as you want, or as little.  There is
>no real need to provide something as specialized as a type-in interface at
>the system level, forcing everyone to pay for it.

Point of fact, since we're getting all this GUI war stuff in
comp.sys.amiga... _Every_ Amiga, from Day 1, has shipped with two user
interfaces, the desktop-ish Workbench and the line-oriented CLI.  There
are some differences requiring programs to know which UI invoked them,
but the startup code is pretty much pro forma.  With the next version of
the operating system, AmigaDOS 1.4 (shipping RSN), rumor has it that the
two interfaces will be brought closer together with default file icons
and text-oriented Workbench file list options, the latter similar to
Microsoft Windows.

So Amiga says "yes" to both camps.  Now can you move the debate
out of the Amiga newsgroup?

Wes Plouff
--
Wes Plouff, Digital Equipment Corp, Littleton, Mass.
plouff%levers.enet.dec@decwrl.dec.com

Networking bibliography:  _Islands in the Net_, by Bruce Sterling
			  _The Matrix_, by John S. Quarterman

swan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joel Swan) (12/19/89)

:
:Menus and mice are great when you are first learning to use a system, but
:they get in the way of experienced users.  An ideal system should not
:_force_ the user to use a mouse/menu system, just as an ideal system
:should not _force_ the user to type commands.  An ideal system should
:allow the user to use _either_ the mouse or the keyboard, based on the
:preference of the user.  Neither the Mac nor the PC are even close to
:ideal in this regard.  .....

Hmm.  Sounds like an Amiga to me.  Now's the time to take a closer look.

:
:--
:Steve Jacobs  ({bellcore,hplabs,uunet}!utah-cs!jacobs, jacobs@cs.utah.edu)

Joel Swan

bmacintyre@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Blair MacIntyre) (12/20/89)

swan@jolnet.UUCP (Joel Swan) writes:
>In article <JACOBS.89Dec18090720@cmos.cs.utah.edu> jacobs@cs.utah.edu (Steven R. Jacobs) writes:
>:
>:Menus and mice are great when you are first learning to use a system, but
>:they get in the way of experienced users.  An ideal system should not
>:_force_ the user to use a mouse/menu system, just as an ideal system
>:should not _force_ the user to type commands.  An ideal system should
>:allow the user to use _either_ the mouse or the keyboard, based on the
>:preference of the user.  Neither the Mac nor the PC are even close to
>:ideal in this regard.  .....
>
>Hmm.  Sounds like an Amiga to me.  Now's the time to take a closer look.

Sorry Joel, while I like the Amiga a lot, I'm forced to disagree.

What Steve is talking about is this ability _within_ programs.  The
Amiga WB/CLI combo qualifies, which is what I assume you were talking
about.

The Amiga as a whole system, however, doesn't cut it.

Programs for the Amiga display such a huge amount of inconsistency between
user-interfaces that it can't even claim to be an intuitive mouse system
half the time.  Not to even suggest what you claim.

I'm surprised no one has noticed what I consider the main reason the Amiga
hasn't, and may never, drive the Mac out of any of it's niches.  What I'm
talking about is inconsistency, which is caused by the very features that
make it a great machine.  For example, the variety of colours available,
which vary wildly from program to program, and don't seem to like _my_
preferences!  And little things, like a lack of clipboard (never really
was a hit, I'm not sure why) support.  And the lack of standard menus
( even though Commodore suggested a nice starting place with the
entries in the file menu ).

The Mac still wins hands down for professional appearance and user-interface
consistency.  For the "occasional" user, it is the easiest to learn, IMHO.

--
-- Blair MacIntyre, Professional Leech on Society ( aka CS Graduate Student )
-- bmacintyre@{watcgl, watdragon, violet}.{waterloo.edu, UWaterloo.ca}

robin@niksula.hut.fi (Jarto Tarpio) (12/20/89)

   (Steven R. Jacobs) writes:
   > Menus and mice are great when you are first learning to use a system, but
   > they get in the way of experienced users.

   Sorry, but this is an absurd statement.  There are many thousands of
   experienced users who are very happy with the Mac interface.

	I think, that they would be _more_ happy with a possibility to use
	it. I like the mouse and use icons etc., but I always have a small
	window in a corner, where I can run DOS. That's a feature.

   > ...An ideal system should
   > allow the user to use _either_ the mouse or the keyboard, based on the
   > preference of the user.

	Not either-or. Both simultaneously !

   > Neither the Mac nor the PC are even close to
   > ideal in this regard.  Apple had a great opportunity to make an ideal
   > system with the Mac, but they blew it by forcing the mouse on everyone.

   There is nothing in the Mac that forces any application to use the mouse.
   In the early days of the Mac, quite a few developers did quick ports of
   their PC applications, with type-in interfaces, to the Mac.  Guess what?
   Nobody would buy them.  SOMEBODY wants the mouse whole lot!

	You missed the point. Why use keyboard OR mouse, when it should be
	possible to use keyboard AND mouse. I have always liked systems,
	where you can freely choose the way you use it.

   > Sure, lots of applications will give you a choice in many commands, but
   > this is not part of the standard interface -- you can't even start up
   > the application without using the mouse.  This is a bug, not a feature.

   No, friend, this is a feature that you don't like.

	Is it a feature to leave something out ? I like to compile and run
	my proggies without a mouse, when I have to do it a lot.

   > If keyboards are so evil, then
   > why do so many Mac applications have keystroke "shortcuts" for most
   > of their commands?

   Because that is a standard part of the Mac user interface.

	Now I don't understand.

   > Again, giving the user a _choice_ is a better solution.

	RIGHT !

   Talk to the application developers.

	Talk to system-developers :)

PLEASE !

There are articles here concerning only PC and Mac. What do they do here ?
Please do not post such articles here.

   David Casseres

   Exclaimer:  Hey!

--
* Jarto Tarpio * robin@niksula.hut.fi  *       Helsinki      *     Place      *
*              * f36695h@taltta.hut.fi *     University of   *   Commercial   *

jmann@bigbootay (Jim Mann) (12/21/89)

>> Neither the Mac nor the PC are even close to
>> ideal in this regard.  Apple had a great opportunity to make an ideal
>> system with the Mac, but they blew it by forcing the mouse on everyone.

>There is nothing in the Mac that forces any application to use the mouse.
>In the early days of the Mac, quite a few developers did quick ports of
>their PC applications, with type-in interfaces, to the Mac.  Guess what?
>Nobody would buy them.  SOMEBODY wants the mouse whole lot!

But the MAC does force you to use the mouse from system level. While this
is nice much of the time, it would be nice in some cases to be able to
use the keyboard.

>> Sure, lots of applications will give you a choice in many commands, but
>> this is not part of the standard interface -- you can't even start up
>> the application without using the mouse.  This is a bug, not a feature.

>No, friend, this is a feature that you don't like.

How is the lack of a feature (lack of a command line interface) a feature?
It may not be a big negative but it certainly isn't a positive thing
to not allow users to do more stuff from the command line.

casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) (12/22/89)

In article <ROBIN.89Dec20104650@tko-sony-12.hut.fi> robin@niksula.hut.fi
(Jarto Tarpio) writes:
>         Not either-or. Both simultaneously !...
>
>         ...Why use keyboard OR mouse, when it should be
>         possible to use keyboard AND mouse. I have always liked systems,
>         where you can freely choose the way you use it.
>
>         ...I like to compile and run
>         my proggies without a mouse, when I have to do it a lot.

Please take a look at MPW.  You can customize it to provide exactly the
mix of mouse and keyboard control you personally prefer.

>    > If keyboards are so evil, then
>    > why do so many Mac applications have keystroke "shortcuts" for most
>    > of their commands?
>
>    Because that is a standard part of the Mac user interface.
>
>         Now I don't understand.

Take a look at Apple's documentation of Mac user interface guidelines.

David Casseres

Exclaimer:  Hey!

In article <502@lectroid.sw.stratus.com> jmann@bigbootay (Jim Mann) writes:
> But the MAC does force you to use the mouse from system level.

This is categorically false.  Anyone who believes this has not in fact
taken a close look at the Mac.

David Casseres

Exclaimer:  Hey!

In article <ROBIN.89Dec20104650@tko-sony-12.hut.fi> robin@niksula.hut.fi (Jarto Tarpio) writes:
>In article <5828@internal.Apple.COM> casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) writes:

>   In article <JACOBS.89Dec18090720@cmos.cs.utah.edu> jacobs@cs.utah.edu
>   (Steven R. Jacobs) writes:
>   > Menus and mice are great when you are first learning to use a system, but
>   > they get in the way of experienced users.

>   Sorry, but this is an absurd statement.  There are many thousands of
>   experienced users who are very happy with the Mac interface.

There are many experienced users happy with the MS-DOS, Lotus 1-2-3, and
Wordperfect 4.0 user intefaces.  That does not have thing one to do with
the quality of those interfaces in many cases, it simply means that thay
may have never had the choice or exposure to something better.

To pick a relatively neutral ground, I'm a rather heavy user of Mentor
software on an Apollo computer.  The software can be completely used via
a decent GUI with pop-up and pulldown menus (eg, in many cases faster
than the Mac's, since you don't have to move the mouse to get the menus
you use the most), and it can also be driven with a command language
and keyboard.  Everyone who first leans the system uses the mouse interface
exclusively, since you can lean it in a few hours.  However, most of the
power users use the keyboard for many things.  It's just plain faster for
invoking operations that aren't inherently mouse based.  I'd use a different
tool if I had to enter nets by specifying numeric coordinates; there is
and always will be a place for some kind of pointing device.  But a keyboard
is also very useful for entering commands, and I've found in using some
rather complex programs that do it both ways, a full command language is
better than single-character equivalents for mouse commands if you have
enough of a program to need the command language.  Just like the PC user
who may have never used a mouse driven program, the Mac user can't begin
to appreciate how much better some of their work can be done by command
language without experiencing it first hand.

>	Not either-or. Both simultaneously !

Well, that is exactly what you get in the Mentor software.

>   SOMEBODY wants the mouse whole lot!

Most any program will be easier to learn if it has a mouse driven interface.
That interface is basically a command sheet (like the one that comes with
Wordperfect) that the computer understands directly.  Of course users want
it.  If both interfaces are offered, though, power users will invariably
start using at least some of the command language, if it's available.  Just
what actually happens with the Mentor software and the Amiga system software
(though few Amiga applications actually offer both).

>   > Sure, lots of applications will give you a choice in many commands, but
>   > this is not part of the standard interface -- you can't even start up
>   > the application without using the mouse.  This is a bug, not a feature.

>   No, friend, this is a feature that you don't like.

You can't claim to favor a user interface that offers both options, then
claim that removing one option is actually a feature.  I don't think it's
a bug either, rather, a design flaw.  Unfortunately, bugs can usually be
fixed, design flaws often can't.

>* Jarto Tarpio * robin@niksula.hut.fi  *       Helsinki      *     Place      *

--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
                    Too much of everything is just enough