[comp.sys.amiga] Hard Drive Backup Software

brian@jtsv16.UUCP (Brian A. Jarvis) (12/07/89)

'Lo, folks!

A while back, I posted a query about A590 drives.  Well, the matter has
since become quite obsolete for me.  At the World of Commodore Show here
in Toronto on Sunday, I bought a 30 Mb SCSI SupraDrive Hard Disk and
Controller.  Ah, how sweet it is!  Beats the hell out of swapping floppies
constantly!

I've noticed that while downloading with a couple of comm programs directly
to the hard drive, the program reports block timing errors every 6 K or
so and eventually fails.  And then the programs lock up the machine with
a pretty impressive guru.  I neglected to jot down the exact guru message,
but I'll see about getting that together later.  Any ideas where I should
look?  For what its worth, I'm running a 500 with 1.3 Workbench and 1.2
ROMs.  I'll be getting the 1.3 ROMs sometime in the next week so I can
finally do away with my boot floppy.

The other query for the net is about backup software.  Does anyone have
any recommendations for a good backup program which:
1)  allows backing up and restoring specific files, as well as
    directories and drives;
2)  allows optional file compression;
3)  allows support for different media (ie floppies, SCSI tapes, etc.);
4)  works?

The last item is a reflection of a posting I noticed a couple of weeks
back about a person who went to restore his hard drive and found, to his
utter horror, that the "backup" floppies were all nulled.

So, any preferences?

Brian

--
Brian A. Jarvis,                        J.T.S. Computer Systems,
brian@jtsv16.jts.com,                   Downsview, Ontario

brian%jtsv16.uucp@cunyvm.cuny.edu (12/16/89)

[...]

hcmutt@hpcll31.HP.COM (Harry Muttart) (12/19/89)

I posted a longer response last week on this topic...

The executive summary is "Of the backup software that I tried, Quarterback is
the only thing that has been 100% dependable".

This commercial product does allow partial backups/restores, has a simple
interface, and provides access to other backup devices besides floppies."
(In all honesty, I have not tried with anything else except floppies.)

Harry Muttart

In <1768@unccvax.UUCP>, fwp@unccvax.UUCP (Rick Pasotto) writes:
>in article <1250010@hpcll31.HP.COM>, hcmutt@hpcll31.HP.COM (Harry Muttart) says:
>>
>> The executive summary is "Of the backup software that I tried, Quarterback is
>> the only thing that has been 100% dependable".
>>
>> Harry Muttart
>
>[ ... ]
> Their manual discusses this
>problem (except that they use the word 'occasionally') and their claim is
>that it is a trackdisk.device problem and "NOT A QUARTERBACK PROBLEM!!"
>(their emphasis).  I find it very difficult to believe that having had
>my Amiga for four years and never experiencing the problem that their
>software is not at fault.

Well, there _is_ a bug in trackdisk, and it affects A2000 machines with 1
internal and 1 or more external drives. If this is your configuration, then
that is likely the cause of the lockup.

I will mention however, that the same bug bit Glenn Neilsen when he developed
Express-Copy, but he wrote in a workaround to fix it.

-larry

--
" All I ask of my body is that it carry around my head."
         - Thomas Alva Edison -

fwp@unccvax.UUCP (Rick Pasotto) (12/22/89)

in article <1250010@hpcll31.HP.COM>, hcmutt@hpcll31.HP.COM (Harry Muttart) says:

> The executive summary is "Of the backup software that I tried, Quarterback is
> the only thing that has been 100% dependable".
>
> Harry Muttart

After reading several complimentary postings about Quarterback I decided to
buy it.  So far I have been totally unable to use it because it hangs the
machine while writing to the very first disk.  Their manual discusses this
problem (except that they use the word 'occasionally') and their claim is
that it is a trackdisk.device problem and "NOT A QUARTERBACK PROBLEM!!"
(their emphasis).  I find it very difficult to believe that having had
my Amiga for four years and never experiencing the problem that their
software is not at fault.

Rick Pasotto
mcnc!unccvax!fwp