[comp.sys.amiga] 2090 and 2090a

casebolt%esdc.span@fedex.msfc.nasa.gov (12/22/89)

I have a friend that has a 2090 controller on his A500 (yes that's right an
Amiga 500 via an expansion box.) His system is not auto bootable and he asked
me to post a question for him on the net...

		What is the difference in the 2090 vs the 2090a.
			BOOT ROMS only??
I told him I thought it was a boot rom only difference... anyone has any
other differences and if the difference is the rom set...I one were to replace
the roms with a new set from a 2090a would it make the system auto bootable??

As usual any help would be appreciated....

Richard Casebolt
205-544-2966

hammock@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Randy Hammock) (12/22/89)

In article <6661@nigel.udel.EDU> casebolt%esdc.span@fedex.msfc.nasa.gov writes:
>		What is the difference in the 2090 vs the 2090a.
>			BOOT ROMS only??
That is the major difference.  There is a slight difference in the driver code
the was a fix for screen glitches caused when the disk is accessed while an
overscanned screen is in use.

>I told him I thought it was a boot rom only difference... anyone has any
>other differences and if the difference is the rom set...I one were to replace
>the roms with a new set from a 2090a would it make the system auto bootable??

There are some hardware differences between the 2090 and the 2090a.  In fact,
there was talk at one time of a daughter board being produced for the 2090 to
convert into a 2090a (or at least compatable).  Another thing that is required
for AUTOBOOT is the presence of 1.3 Kickstart ROMs.  The system will not
AUTOBOOT, even with a 2090a, without the 1.3 (or later) ROMs being installed
in the system.
AMIGA /// |   randy@jato.jpl.nasa.gov  Telos - Jet Propulsion Laboratory - NASA
     ///  | hammock@mars.jpl.nasa.gov     ** GALILEO launch October 1989 **
  \XX/    | "If I wanted your opinions, I'd have given them to you!" - Mock