[comp.sys.amiga] Software, etc.?

gaspar@stl-08sima.army.mil (Al Gaspar) (12/17/89)

Someone mentioned that Software, etc. was a good place to go to see the
Amiga demoes.  I was just wondering how they were doing.  We were
supposed to have one open at a mall here (Northwest Plaza for those in
St. Louis, MO) but it remains an empty storefront.  It's getting a
little late to capitalize on Christmas; so I got to wondering...  I was
hoping to do a little shopping there.

On a more general note, does anyone know how Commodore's ad campaign is
doing?  Is the push working?

Just curious--

Al

--
Al Gaspar	<gaspar@stl-08sima.army.mil>
(used to be <gaspar@almsa-1.arpa>)

monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) (12/20/89)

In article <6315@nigel.udel.EDU> gaspar@stl-08sima.army.mil (Al Gaspar) writes:

>Someone mentioned that Software, etc. was a good place to go to see the
>Amiga demoes.  I was just wondering how they were doing.  We were
                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't know about your area but the Software Etc. near hear only has
one rack of amiga software marked "clearance" and no hardware apparent!
    I hope that is not the case in other stores/areas.

    Monty Saine
    San Diego Ca.

sullivan@nssg.enet.dec.com (12/20/89)

"                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"    I don't know about your area but the Software Etc. near hear only has
"one rack of amiga software marked "clearance" and no hardware apparent!
"    I hope that is not the case in other stores/areas.

    In Worcester,MA at the Greendale mall they were at least friendly
about amigas. They has some sale items there. An A500 on display, and
a  case of A1010 drives at about $140 each. I got DPaintIII there for
$99 which was an unadvertized  special  and  the  sales  person  said
anything  I  don't  see  they  would  order.  They  even  had a WACUG
(Worcester Area Commodore Users Group) news letter with the Amiga SW.

	-Steve Sullivan

robin@sabre.uucp (Robin D. Wilson/1000000) (12/20/89)

In article <7011@shlump.nac.dec.com> sullivan@nssg.enet.dec.com writes:
>>                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>    I don't know about your area but the Software Etc. near hear only has
>>one rack of amiga software marked "clearance" and no hardware apparent!
>>    I hope that is not the case in other stores/areas.
>
>    In Worcester,MA at the Greendale mall they were at least friendly
>about amigas. They has some sale items there. An A500 on display, and
>a  case of A1010 drives at about $140 each. I got DPaintIII there for
>$99 which was an unadvertized  special  and  the  sales  person  said
>anything  I  don't  see  they  would  order.  They  even  had a WACUG
>(Worcester Area Commodore Users Group) news letter with the Amiga SW.
>
>	-Steve Sullivan

I second the motion FOR Software Etc.  I purchased my A500 from them, and they
have been most helpful.  I had to take back 2 (that's two, count 'em, two)
A500's and while most places would have made me send it off to get serviced
(or just taken a couple of days to service it in house) Software Etc. willingly
swapped the bad ones for new machines.  Even more important than that, when
I got mixed up (through a little mis-information) and took only part of the
machine back in (the part with the defect), they let me take a New system home
that day, and return the rest of my system the next day -- on faith alone.

The Software Etc.'s here in Austin have a limited selection of Software for
Amy, but they generally have a reasonable -- albeit not usually discounted
to the level of mail order -- prices; at least reasonable enough so that if
you want it quick, it's only $5 - $10 more than mail-order.

The Austin stores all have A500's setup and demoing software -- usually some
game -- but then that's what they demo on the PS/2 and IIgs and Mac SE there
as well.  Often times it is the same game -- which makes Amy standout like an
oasis in the desert (a clear favorite among the ooglers, "Wow, look at that
one!").

|The views expressed herein, are the sole responsibility of the typist at hand|
|USNail:                               UUCP:                                  |
|2323 Wells Branch Pkwy., #G107        cs.utexas.edu!romp!ibmchs!auschs\      |
|Austin, TX  78728                     !sabre.austin.ibm.com!robin            |
|Home: (512)251-6889                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^<-MUST BE INCLUDED|

nor1675@dsacg2.UUCP (Michael Figg) (12/21/89)

In article <6315@nigel.udel.EDU> gaspar@stl-08sima.army.mil (Al Gaspar) writes:

>Someone mentioned that Software, etc. was a good place to go to see the
>Amiga demoes.  I was just wondering how they were doing.  We were

Here in Columbus Software, etc. is looking like an outfit that isn't expecting
a real big future. They had two suburban area outlets that were fairly good
for books and general computer accessories, and had a basic game software
inventory for most computers including the Amiga. They have since closed both
of these stores and opened another in a new mall downtown. The new store has
most of the software and some of the accessories of the old stores, but the
book selection has really shrunk. They have a magazine section that was also
very good for computers in general, but this has also shrunk. The new store,
and for that matter the mall and downtown Columbus as a whole are alittle out
of the way, except for the people who work there.

--
"Hot Damn! Groat Cakes Again | Michael Figg  DSAC-FSD
Heavy on the thirty weight!" | DLA Systems Automation Center - Columbus,Oh

sasjtb@sas.UUCP (Jack Bulkley) (12/22/89)

The problem I have with Software, Etc. here in Raleigh, NC is the software
prices. They do have some non-games on the shelf and were willing to order
other things. Their prices seemed very close to list. I asked about ordering
Music-X and was told $289. The Go-Amigo price is $175 and I saw a mention of
Creative Systems having it for $150. I don't know what I am paying for by buying
from a local dealer if they have to order it anyway. I might be willing to  pay
an extra 10-20% if it meant I got to try out a program first. They do have a 500
setup but not enough software to be that can be demoed. They were also running
the all to common workbench hand "demo" when I was there. No one was paying any
attention to the machine. If what I saw was typical I don't see how they are ever
going to get enough business to continue carrying Amigas.

--
This posting was generated by a simlutator. Anything said that you did not
agree with was a bug and will be fixed in the next release.

akcs.dfrancis@tronsbox.UUCP (Dennis Francis Heffernan) (12/23/89)

     The Software, ETC up by me (Willowbrook Mall, Wayne, NJ) is ostensibly
the #1 store in the country, and they've got a pretty good setup.  They're
lagging a bit in Amiga software selection (and in getting the stuff before
their competetors in the mall), but the manager tells me that's likely to
change.  He's been selling Amy 500's at about 4-5 per day all season...he
sold 30 in the last six days alone.