[comp.sys.amiga] A2000, HardFrame, SyQuest

rlcarr%athena.mit.edu@cunyvm.cuny.edu (12/06/89)

As it stands now, I will be buying a HardFrame/2000 and a 40 meg SyQuest
drive as soon as I have the cash.  Some questions:

[note: if you are not familiar with the SyQuest, then mentally substitute
``generic 5.25" half-height SCSI hard drive'' for SyQuest, as many of my
questions are more about 5.25" drives in general than specifically about the
SyQuest]

1) It would seem that it is easy enough to install the HardFrame itself.
Just gotta plug it into the bus.  Is this so?

2) I want to mount the SyQuest in the 5.25" drive bay in my A2000.  Will
it fit?  Do I have to buy a cable to connect the HardFrame to the SyQuest,
or does such a cable some with the SyQuest and/or HardFrame?

3) How hard is it to mount the SyQuest in the A2000 (assuming it fits)?
Assuming it is a 5.25" half-height drive, is the mounting standard, or
is there the chance that drilling and other evil things will have to be
done?  How do I power it from my A2000?  Does the A2000 power supply
have a plug for a hard drive, or does it have to be hacked around with.

4) Should I give up and just have my dealer install the thing (assuming he
would - which he might not because I am buying neither the SyQuest nor the
HardFrame from him - dealer is the Memory Location.  I bought my A2000,
SupraRAM, and 2nd floppy from them though - how is TML on cases like this
anyway?).

5) If I later (hopefully) get a second SyQuest, it will be put in an external
chassis.  How do I get connect the HardFrame to the external SyQuest
(HardFrame ad says it can drive 7 SCSI devices, so there must be a way to
do this)?

6) If this line of questioning suggests other important areas I am
oblivious to, please de-oblivi-ize me.  :-)

And since hard drives are a relatively common thing, the answers to this may
have general interest, so consider replying to amiga-ug@athena.mit.edu
rather than only me.

Thanks much!

--
Rich Carreiro - Most Biased Boston Celtics Fan!   "So long, farewell, and may
ARPA: rlcarr@space.mit.edu                         the forces of evil become

jdm@gryphon.COM (John Mesiavech) (12/07/89)

In article <5450@nigel.udel.EDU> rlcarr%athena.mit.edu@cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:

>As it stands now, I will be buying a HardFrame/2000 and a 40 meg SyQuest
>drive as soon as I have the cash.  Some questions:
>
>[note: if you are not familiar with the SyQuest, then mentally substitute
>``generic 5.25" half-height SCSI hard drive'' for SyQuest, as many of my
>questions are more about 5.25" drives in general than specifically about the
>SyQuest]

A Nota Bene brom John:

     I'm assuming that by "SyQuest" you mean the Syquest SQ555 44MB
removable platter drive.  If not, much of the below will still apply,
but I'll be talking specifically about the SQ555.  As a (very!) proud
owner of one, AND as a person who has 3 SCSI devices on the Hardframe's
bus, can perhaps help out.

>1) It would seem that it is easy enough to install the HardFrame itself.
>Just gotta plug it into the bus.  Is this so?

Yep, plug it in.  Don't put the cover back on just yet though, keep it
open through the formatting of the first cartridge.

There's an autoboot jumper that must be set once the first cart is
formatted, that allows the Hardframe to autoboot.  Otherwise it doesn't
even try.

>2) I want to mount the SyQuest in the 5.25" drive bay in my A2000.  Will
>it fit?  Do I have to buy a cable to connect the HardFrame to the SyQuest,
>or does such a cable some with the SyQuest and/or HardFrame?

It'll fit just fine, uses standard mounting screws.  The cable to connect
the FIRST SCSI device internally comes with the Hardframe, if you have
a 2630 or similar card it may be a bit short.  Since you're eventually
going to add a second device, you'll want a longer cable with two connectors.
Might as well do it at the start, since you'll have to do it later.

To make a SCSI cable, you need a 50-pin ribbon of the requisite length
(you'll have to figure out how long...know that from slot 1 to the
5.25" bay with no obstructions is 1ft, with a card in the way is 1.5ft.
) Six feet should do it, and is the max length of a interdevice cable anyway.
Crimp two IDC connectors onto this cable, making sure that they're all
oriented properly.  If this is all Greek to you, find someone with
cable-building experience or contact a cable company.

>3) How hard is it to mount the SyQuest in the A2000 (assuming it fits)?
>Assuming it is a 5.25" half-height drive, is the mounting standard, or
>is there the chance that drilling and other evil things will have to be
>done?  How do I power it from my A2000?  Does the A2000 power supply
>have a plug for a hard drive, or does it have to be hacked around with.

It's not hard.  THe A2000 5.25" bay has side-mount slots in the bay.
Just insert the drive into the bay, use the scres inthe side-mount holes,
and you're done.   No drilling or other nonsense required.  THe A2000
power supply has two taps for drives, of the standard 4-pin D type.

>4) Should I give up and just have my dealer install the thing (assuming he
>would - which he might not because I am buying neither the SyQuest nor the
>HardFrame from him - dealer is the Memory Location.  I bought my A2000,
>SupraRAM, and 2nd floppy from them though - how is TML on cases like this
>anyway?).

Dunno about TML, but if he has a problem with this, I'd stay away
from him in future.  If you're halfway mechanically competent,
the project is easy.  If not, there IS a possibility of scorching
the drive controller, the Hardframe, or the A2000 or combinations
thereof.

>5) If I later (hopefully) get a second SyQuest, it will be put in an external
>chassis.  How do I get connect the HardFrame to the external SyQuest
>(HardFrame ad says it can drive 7 SCSI devices, so there must be a way to
>do this)?

It's not hard (that's my setup), but you have to make sure that:
a) Both Syqyests have different device numbers (set by jumpers ont he back
b) Only the LAST drive ont he bus (in this case, the one in the
   external case) has the terminating resistors on it
c) THat both drives are connected to the Syquest byt the same cable.

Connect the cable to the external drive, then open up your Amiga
and remove the termination resistor packs from the back of the Syquest
insid the Amiga.  Set the drive int he chassis to a different
SCSI device number than the one in the Amiga, and off you go.

>6) If this line of questioning suggests other important areas I am
>oblivious to, please de-oblivi-ize me.  :-)
>
>And since hard drives are a relatively common thing, the answers to this may
>have general interest, so consider replying to amiga-ug@athena.mit.edu
>rather than only me.
>
>Thanks much!
>
>--
>Rich Carreiro - Most Biased Boston Celtics Fan!   "So long, farewell, and may
--
0-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-0
|   There once was a signature here, but I dunno where it went.   |
|        ------------------------------------------------         |
|    jdm@gryphon.COM     -- or--   <anywhere>!hplabs!gryphon!jdm   |
0-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-0

doug@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (douglas.sulpy) (12/08/89)

I opted to spend the extra money and get the GVP Impulse 2/2 with the
Syquest drive. The installation was surprisingly painless. The only
"trouble" I had was that the screws that had been holding the BridgeBoard
drive in the 5 1/4 slot were far too loose when used with the Syquest.
Using the screws that came with the Syquest cleared THAT up (bright
idea, huh?). The installation software couldn't have been friendlier.
It basically asked two questions: "Do you want to format your hard
drive now?", and "Do you want to check for errors?". I said "Yes" to
both, and a few minutes later the process was complete.
---
A few good words: I bought mine from Software Hut in Philadelphia.
I ordered it via credit card on Tuesday morning, and the unit
arrived THE NEXT DAY. Not only that, but the store called up GVP,
and had them 2nd Day Air me the latest auto-boot eproms. Not only
THAT, but they beat Briwall's price by $50.00, AND charged only
actual shipping.

And, yes, I think the drive is fantastic.

jdm%gryphon.com@cunyvm.cuny.edu (12/16/89)

visinfo@ethz.UUCP (VISINFO Moderators) (12/21/89)

In article <5450@nigel.udel.EDU> rlcarr%athena.mit.edu@cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:

>As it stands now, I will be buying a HardFrame/2000 and a 40 meg SyQuest
>drive as soon as I have the cash.  Some questions:
>
>1) It would seem that it is easy enough to install the HardFrame itself.
>Just gotta plug it into the bus.  Is this so?

The HardFrame is really easy to install. You have to plug in the card in
a slot, connect the SCSI cable to your drive and plug in the power connecter.
Then you have to install the software. The HF software is really user friendly.

>2) I want to mount the SyQuest in the 5.25" drive bay in my A2000.  Will
>it fit?  Do I have to buy a cable to connect the HardFrame to the SyQuest,
>or does such a cable some with the SyQuest and/or HardFrame?

The SyQuest will fit into the 5.25" drive bay in your 2000. The cable comes
with the HardFrame.

>3) How hard is it to mount the SyQuest in the A2000 (assuming it fits)?
>Assuming it is a 5.25" half-height drive, is the mounting standard, or
>is there the chance that drilling and other evil things will have to be
>done?  How do I power it from my A2000?  Does the A2000 power supply
>have a plug for a hard drive, or does it have to be hacked around with.

Probably the SCSI cable is a bit short, so you have to install the HF into
the first slot. The plug for the power is ready to connect.

>4) Should I give up and just have my dealer install the thing (assuming he
>would - which he might not because I am buying neither the SyQuest nor the
>HardFrame from him - dealer is the Memory Location.  I bought my A2000,
>SupraRAM, and 2nd floppy from them though - how is TML on cases like this
>anyway?).

I think nearly anyone can install this combination.

>5) If I later (hopefully) get a second SyQuest, it will be put in an external
>chassis.  How do I get connect the HardFrame to the external SyQuest
>(HardFrame ad says it can drive 7 SCSI devices, so there must be a way to
>do this)?

I have a SyQuest externally installed with a 2090 controller. You should buy
a external box with intergrated power supply, so you have only one cable from
the HardFrame to the SyQuest.
You also have to buy an external connection adapter for the HardFrame because
it doesn't support it as standard. Then you have to make or buy a cable with
a 25 PIN Mac compatible connecter on one side and a 50 PIN SCSI connector on
the other side.

Currently the HardFrame doesn't support automatic diskchange with the SyQuest,
but they told me at the AmiEXPO Cologne, that they want to add this feature as
soon as possible.
I Think the HardFrame/SyQuest combination is a very good hard drive system.
You will get a transfer rate of about 450Kbyte/sec. An the access time of about
25 ms is not bad either.

/* -------------------------- SG (Simeon Graphics) ---------------------- */
/* Peter Simeon,      UUCP: |       //                             //     */
/*  visinfo@bernina.ethz.ch |      //    Long live the AMIGA!     //      */
/* BIX:  hardwiz            |    \X/                            \X/       */
/* ---------------------------------------------------------------------- */

kfellens@Intrepid.ECE.UKans.EDU (Keith Fellenstein) (12/22/89)

Peter,

What magic are you using to use the Syquest to work with the 2090?
Does Diskchange do the trick?  I'd like to get one, but don't relish
the thought of replacing my controller right now.

Keith

slc@hoptoad.uucp (Steve Costa) (12/24/89)

In article <2916@ethz.UUCP> visinfo@bernina.ethz.ch.UUCP (VISINFO Moderators) writes:

>I have a SyQuest externally installed with a 2090 controller. You should buy
>a external box with intergrated power supply, so you have only one cable from
>the HardFrame to the SyQuest.

>/* Peter Simeon,      UUCP: |       //                             //     */
>/*  visinfo@bernina.ethz.ch |      //    Long live the AMIGA!     //      */
>/* BIX:  hardwiz            |    \X/                            \X/       */

I am also  using the Syquest with the 2090 controller. I have a 2000, rev
4.3. Diskchange doesn't work for me; the system locks up. CATS said it
seems to be a bug, but I neglected to ask whether it's in Diskchange
itself, the file system, or whatever.

Are you getting diskchange to work?