[comp.sys.amiga] But I can't ftp!

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (12/24/89)

In article <2816@zehntel.UUCP> donw@zehntel.zehntel.com (Don White) writes:
> >I would like to remind everybody that many sites (particularly overseas
> >as I am) cannot [ftp].
>
> I agree! FTP is getting to be a dirty word. Nyah nyah you can't get to
> all this neato stuff!

I haven't seen anyone blatently tease people who cannot ftp.  However,
if you feel that our posting of ftp announcements is teasing you,
well, it's not intended that way.  There are persons here who
appreciate such announcements, even if you don't.

> wouldn't it be lovely if someone could write a program to allow
> people with just an amiga and a modem to access these sites?

Oh, but what if someone doesn't have a modem?
``Nyah nyah, you can't even dial in!''

Yet such a service would be useful to many others...

> Of course it's COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE ...

Not really.  The archive site would have to (1) have modems, (1a) let
them be monopolized by non-work related callers, (2) carefully set the
owner and modes of everything in their archive (to prevent tampering),
and (3) provide a ``safe'' shell for the login (same).

Often #1 is the problem (as it is here).

[ personal opinions follow ]
UUNET offers a nice service at a reasonable price.  UUNET subscribers
have access to files available via ftp.  If you're from a large site
(such as a corportation or university) and are not yet connected to
the Internet, you should consider UUNET.  It's what we did...
[ end personal opinions, I get no money from UUNET!  Honest! ]

	...tad