[comp.sys.amiga] Sears sells Ami!

tjf@lanl.gov (Tom J Farish) (12/20/89)

Hi...I was browsing the new Sears catalog and lo and behold....there
was an Amiga 500!  No software listed....
I went to my local Sears and the salespeople had never heard of the
Ami!  I wonder what the deal is?  I was in the Albuquerque Sears
and talked to the computer salesreptiles there and they said : 1) Yes,
Sears sells the ami500. 2) No, they don't have any in the store, only
by catalog sales. 3) No software...at all.

perley@graffiti (Donald P Perley) (12/21/89)

In article <39408@lanl.gov>, tjf@lanl (Tom J Farish) writes:

>Hi...I was browsing the new Sears catalog and lo and behold....there
>was an Amiga 500!  No software listed....
>I went to my local Sears and the salespeople had never heard of the
>Ami!  I wonder what the deal is?  I was in the Albuquerque Sears
>and talked to the computer salesreptiles there and they said : 1) Yes,
>Sears sells the ami500. 2) No, they don't have any in the store, only
>by catalog sales. 3) No software...at all.

Ahhhh Hahhh.  After all the noise about shutting down mail order
sales, they start associating with Sears, who will ONLY sell the amiga
by mail order.  Or is Sears one of those grey market dealers like
Montgomery Grant?

-don perley

perley@trub.crd.ge.com

madsax@maven.u.washington.edu (LIFE IS A BOWL OF 64TH NOTES) (12/21/89)

As far as I have heard via this newsgroup, the reason that
the Amiga is listed in the Sears catalog is because it was planned,
at a time, to have them sell the system.  Sears and Montgomery
Wards were both going to sell the system, thus providing needed
funds for Commodore's advertising program.  But it didn't pan out.
Evidently, the catalog was completed before the deal was trashed.

madsax@milton.u.washington.edu                      Mark A. DeLoura
            University of Washington, Seattle, Washington

kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (12/21/89)

   Ahhhh Hahhh.  After all the noise about shutting down mail order
   sales, they start associating with Sears, who will ONLY sell the amiga
   by mail order.  Or is Sears one of those grey market dealers like
   Montgomery Grant?

No, Sears is merely the largest mail-order firm in America, and the
second-largest general retailer.
--
Robert Jude Kudla  <kudla@pawl.rpi.edu>

"Famous? I'm not famous. People come up to me after a show and say
    'Hey, Steve!'"
                                -Jon Anderson

donw@zehntel.zehntel.com (Don White) (12/23/89)

In article <10429@vdsvax.crd.ge.com> perley@graffiti (Donald P Perley) writes:
>In article <39408@lanl.gov>, tjf@lanl (Tom J Farish) writes:
>
>>Hi...I was browsing the new Sears catalog and lo and behold....there
>
>sales, they start associating with Sears, who will ONLY sell the amiga
>by mail order.  Or is Sears one of those grey market dealers like

     Not just by mail order. The sears in Pleasant Hill California has them
  on display in the store!

     Don W.
     Box 271177 Concord CA. 94527-1177
     zehtnel!donw

jimb@faatcrl.UUCP (Jim Burwell) (12/24/89)

donw@zehntel.zehntel.com (Don White) writes:

>In article <10429@vdsvax.crd.ge.com> perley@graffiti (Donald P Perley) writes:
>>In article <39408@lanl.gov>, tjf@lanl (Tom J Farish) writes:
>>
>>>Hi...I was browsing the new Sears catalog and lo and behold....there
>>
>>sales, they start associating with Sears, who will ONLY sell the amiga
>>by mail order.  Or is Sears one of those grey market dealers like

>     Not just by mail order. The sears in Pleasant Hill California has them
>  on display in the store!

Speaking of large retailers selling Amigas, a chain of stores called "Boscovs"
sells them.  At least the one in Atlantic City.  Boscovs is kinda a cross between
Sears and Macy's.  They were actually running a Sculpt animation (the ray traced
rocking chair) on the A-500 on display.  Kinda made the PC-Klones look sick :-).

Bye,
Jim
--
James S. Burwell