[comp.sys.amiga] installing 2nd internal floppy

todhor@auto-trol.UUCP (Tod Hornsby) (12/13/89)

Well I'm just about through installing the Chinon 3.5 internal
in my 2000.  Interestingly enougyh the original Commodore
3.5 is Made By Chinon (# 354 rev A) and though slightly
different it appears 'better' constructed than the Chinon
I just bought but alas it has no dust cover.  Anyway the
Chinon I bought (# 354 rev B) installed nicely.  I put it
on the right side (df1:) and moved the commodore over to the
left side(df0:).  i.e. reading left to right.  Everything
appears fine except for this:  When I access either drive
say to do a read or dir BOTH lights on both drives come on.
should this be?  It definitely recognizes the new drive
as df1: so they`re not both set to the same device, and in
the brief time that I played with them last night everything
appeared to work fine.  I just don't think both lights
should come
on when I access one drive.  Oh yeah they come on even if the
other drive has nothing in it!  Again this happens both ways
If anyone has similar experience explanation etc I'd be most
interested.

On an aside it would be very easy (just need drill and small
bit) to retrofit a dust cover door to the commodore drive.
The Chinon face (door etc) will NOT mount onto the Commodore
version of the drive they mount differently, However if
the holes are present the door definitely would. Unfortunetly
I doubt you could get the doors (& spring) from chinon
seperately but maybe it's worth a try.  The chinon also uses
an amber led instead of red.  No biggee to me but it's easy
to get to and replace with a red rectangular led.  The chinon
is also reasonably quiet.

Thanks in advance!        - Todd

In article <495@auto-trol.UUCP> todhor@auto-trol.COM () writes:
>Well I'm just about through installing the Chinon 3.5 internal
>appears fine except for this:  When I access either drive
>say to do a read or dir BOTH lights on both drives come on.

Two things need to be done:

1> set the drive select jumpers on the drives so that one is drive 0 and the
other is drive 1.

2> There is a jumper on the motherboard (I don't have the 2000 handbook with me
so I can't tell you the jumper number) Look in you handbook that came with the
2000 in the section that talks about jumpers. There is one that affects the
drive ID's. Something about it being closed so you can plug in an EXTERNAL
drive, and you have to open it if you are installing an INTERNAL drive.

A friend and I just installed an internal drive in his 2000 and that is what we
had to do. Until we set the jumper on the mother board both drives acted like
yours does. Now it works fine.

--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
:
I'm not as dumb as you look.

jbh@mibte.UUCP (James Harvey) (12/24/89)

In article <1262@corpane.UUCP>, sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
> In article <495@auto-trol.UUCP> todhor@auto-trol.COM () writes:
> >Well I'm just about through installing the Chinon 3.5 internal
> >appears fine except for this:  When I access either drive
> >say to do a read or dir BOTH lights on both drives come on.
>
> Two things need to be done:
>
> 1> set the drive select jumpers on the drives so that one is drive 0 and the
> other is drive 1.
>
> --
> John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
I recently bought a Chinon drive to replace the original df0:
that came in my 2000.  I got it from an International BM clone
dealer and it didn't have any drive select jumpers!  Apparently
they assume the drive doesn't need these since IBM always selects
drive zero.  I had to do a fast shuffle with my other internal
drive to get things to work normally.

--

Jim Harvey                        |      "Ask not for whom the bell
Michigan Bell Telephone           |      tolls and you will only pay

ulysses!gamma!mibte!jbh