[comp.sys.amiga] Reading MS/DOS Floppies

ml@ktibv.uucp (Marinko Laban) (12/19/89)

Hello, World

I've posted this before, but since I didn't get any response, I think it
got lost in the mists of the network. Here I go again.

I'm looking *DESPERATELY* for a program for my Amiga 1000 that can read
3.5 inch MS-DOS floppies on an Amiga drive. I've heard of a program called
Dos2Dos, but I don't know anything about it.

Please tell me all you know about such programs. Maybe there's a PD version
that does it ? Any other programs ?

Please answer me by e-mail ...

Thanx!

| Greetings, Marinko Laban                                              |
| E-mail to: hp4nl.nluug.nl!hp4nl!ktibv!ml                              |

jcfst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John C. Fossum) (12/23/89)

In article <1587@ktibv.uucp>, ml@ktibv.uucp (Marinko Laban) writes:

> I'm looking *DESPERATELY* for a program for my Amiga 1000 that can read
> 3.5 inch MS-DOS floppies on an Amiga drive. I've heard of a program called
> Dos2Dos, but I don't know anything about it.
> --
> +-----------------------------------------------------------------------+
> | Greetings, Marinko Laban                                              |
> | E-mail to: hp4nl.nluug.nl!hp4nl!ktibv!ml                              |
> +-----------------------------------------------------------------------+

     Fred Fish Disk 158 has a program on it called MSDos. The description
of it is:

       'A program to list the files written in standard MSDos or Atari
ST format. The files can then be copied to RAM and rewritten to disk
in Amiga DOS format.'

-Steve M. Suhy

bjc@pollux.UUCP (Betty J. Clay) (12/25/89)

In article <1587@ktibv.uucp> ml@ktibv.UUCP (Marinko Laban) writes:

>Hello, World
>
>I've posted this before, but since I didn't get any response, I think it
>got lost in the mists of the network. Here I go again.
>
>I'm looking *DESPERATELY* for a program for my Amiga 1000 that can read
>3.5 inch MS-DOS floppies on an Amiga drive. I've heard of a program called
>Dos2Dos, but I don't know anything about it.
>

>| Greetings, Marinko Laban                                              |

This is really a topic for comp.sys.amiga - not for comp.sys.amiga.tech you
know!

However - since it is virtually impossible for me to get mail out of this
system, here is your answer:  There are two commercial programs that let
you both read and write MS-DOS format on the Amiga drives.  The older one
is Dos-2-Dos, which you mentioned.  It comes from Central Coast Software,
is advertised in almost every Amiga magazine, and is available for about
$35 from the mailorder firms.  It works quite well.

The newer program is CROSSDOS from Consultron, and is also advertised and
sold by most dealers and mailorder firms - usually for about $20-25.  I
have used both, and I prefer CROSSDOS.  It works by installing an msdos.
device in your devs: drawer so that your drive literally becomes an MS-DOS
drive when used with that device and its handler.  If you address the drive
by its MS-DOS name, the drive responds as an ms-dos device; if you call
on it by its Amiga name, it responds as an Amiga drive.  You can use the
drives transparently and alternately without rebooting.  Great way to do
it!

Betty

Betty Clay                                       bjc@pollux.seas.smu.edu.UUCP
                                                 CompuServe    76702,337
Internet:  76702.337@compuserve.com

                                                 Internet  76702.337@
                                                 CompuServe       76702,337

jim@syteke.be (Jim Sanchez) (12/25/89)

I have both dos2dos and crossdos and would strongly suggest that CrossDOS is
by far the better way to go and cheaper to boot.  It is available in
a demo version - no I do not have it - or the regular version is only
about $30.  I bought mine at the recent Cologne AMIExpo for DM 65.  It
really turns the ms-dos floppy into a mountable device so anything you
can do with an amiga disk you can do with a ms-dos disk.  Really nice.
Too bad I cannot say the same thing about dos2dos.

--
Jim Sanchez  {sun,hplabs}!sytek!syteke!jim OR
Hughes LAN Systems, Brussels  uunet!prlb2!sunbim!syteke!jim