[comp.sys.amiga] Commodore Amiga Amix Unix

C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) (12/17/89)

Just seeking clarification here from the people at Commodore Amiga/Amix Dev.
My question: will AmigaDOS run concurrently with UNIX SVR4?  I know in the
past there were demos of Amix running with AmigaDOS and a PC Bridgeboard
at the same time (although maybe even that's not true since *I* wasn't at
the shows).  But has this changed?  I thought I heard that Amix would take
over the entire machine now.  So which is it:

A) Amix runs *with* AmigaDOS and PC emulation?
B) Amix runs in lieu of your other favorite OS?

Thanks and keep up the porting!  :-)

# Baird McIntosh (2nd yr CS/MATH) -- "Sure, *sue* me; you WON'T get Ami!" :-) #
# INTERNET: c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu <-or-> BITNET: c503719@umcvmb.bitnet  #
# "You can keep your toy soldiers to segregate the black and white, but when  #
#  the dust settles and the blood stops running, how do you sleep at night?"  #

ag@amix.commodore.com (Keith Gabryelski) (12/17/89)

In article <6301@nigel.udel.EDU> C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu
(Baird McIntosh) writes:
>I know in the past there were demos of Amix running with AmigaDOS and
>a PC Bridgeboard at the same time (although maybe even that's not
>true since *I* wasn't at the shows).

This has never happened.

>Amix runs *with* AmigaDOS and PC emulation?

No.

>Amix runs in lieu of your other favorite OS?

Amix is your favorite OS. :-)

Pax, Keith
--
ag@amix.commodore.com        Keith Gabryelski          ...!cbmvax!amix!ag

In article <211@amix.commodore.com> ag@amix.commodore.com (Keith Gabryelski)
writes:
>In article <6301@nigel.udel.EDU> C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu
>(Baird McIntosh) writes:
>>I know in the past there were demos of Amix running with AmigaDOS and
>>a PC Bridgeboard at the same time (although maybe even that's not
>>true since *I* wasn't at the shows).
>This has never happened.
>Amix is your favorite OS. :-)

On PC clones Microport Unix and AIX have DOSmerge, and Interactive has VP/IX
which allows you to run MSDOS sessions under Unix,

So when are we going to get an AmigaMerge to allow AmigaDOS sessions under
Amix? Unix is nice, but what good is paying for all that neato Amiga hardware
if you can't run all that neato amiga software without rebooting the entire
machine?

If I just want a unix machine, I would by a cheap PC 286 or 386 and run Unix
there and keep my Amiga for amiga stuff. Unix is one of those OS's that you
don't want to turn on and off constantly. Once it's up you tend to want to keep
it running. Shutdown and rebooting is a lengthy process. You can't just turn it
off or do a three finger salute like you can with AmigaDOS. So everytime I want
to play a game on my machine that has Amix, I have to run Shutdown, wait 5 to
10 minutes, then reboot with AmigaDOS. Blech!

WE WANT AMIGADOS UNDER AMIX!!!!!!!!!
Do you think this will be something that will be worked on in the future?

>Pax, Keith
>--
Pax? Wasn't that the name of the group of scientists in Genesis II? ;-)

(Don't take this posting as ungratefulness. I do appreciate your efforts into
Amix. It sounds great)

ag@amix.commodore.com (Keith Gabryelski) (12/27/89)

In article <1266@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
>WE WANT AMIGADOS UNDER AMIX!!!!!!!!!

So do I [we].

>Do you think this will be something that will be worked on in the
>future?

Yes.

Pax, Keith
--