[comp.sys.amiga] Copper Demos...

ldonahue@dante.nmsu.EDU (Larry Donahue) (11/18/89)

Everyone keeps talking about the Copper Demos.  I assume they are
refering to that workbench-like demo, that has a message bouncing
around on the bottom of the screen, with alot of fancy music.

I'm surprised no one is talking about their other demos.  The
workbench-like one pales in comparison...  They have one that has
stars shooting at you, with a 3-D traced message floating, and
rotating, around the screen.  It's fantastic!  It's even complete with
a realistic shadow on the ground.  Everyone I show it to stares at it
in awe.  I think there's a disk circulating aroung the country that
has about 5 or 6 of their demos.  If you chance across it, copy it!!!

Just putting in my two cents...

Larry Donahue    (ldonahue@dante.nmsu.edu)
--
Larry Donahue    (ldonahue@nmsu.edu)

"If god gave us free will, why didn't he give us free education, or
knowledge...
It seems like a better way to make judgments about HIS existance..."

bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury) (11/27/89)

> I'm surprised no one is talking about their other demos.  The
> workbench-like one pales in comparison...  They have one that has
> stars shooting at you, with a 3-D traced message floating, and
> rotating, around the screen.  It's fantastic!  It's even complete with
> a realistic shadow on the ground.  Everyone I show it to stares at it
> in awe.  I think there's a disk circulating aroung the country that
> has about 5 or 6 of their demos.  If you chance across it, copy it!!!
>
> Just putting in my two cents...
>
> Larry Donahue    (ldonahue@dante.nmsu.edu)

The demo you are talking about is called Wild Copper and it's a PAL demo.  I
have the entire disk if anyone wants to download it from my system.  Phone
number is 201/469-0049.  If you have the new Agnus chip, you can connect a
toggle switch to jumper J102 and toggle between PAL and NTSC video (when
powered off) and view the demo in it's full glory.

This demo includes a fancy opening screen with music and ray traced blue
crystal balls then with a click of the mouse it loads a workbench with a
spinning cursor, crawling bouncing text in rainbow colors that cycle and full
shadows as well as music running.  You work the workbench (ha) just like a
normal workbench.  You have a selection of two music tracks and you have 2
demos.  One is the 3d stars one with the crawling text at the bottom and the
other is a roller type of demo with music also.  Both are very well done.
Also included is a funny guru screen for a joke.  All in all the demo is quite
interesting.  I also have several other demos available on my system for those
who are into graphics and sound.

-- Bob
_________________________ Pro-Graphics  201/469-0049 __________________________

InterNet: bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com          |       ProLine: bobl@pro-graphics
    UUCP: ..crash!pro-graphics!bobl          |        CServe: 70347,2344
ARPA/DDN: ..crash!pro-graphics!bobl@nosc.mil |  Amer. Online: Graphics3D
___________                                                        ____________
            Raven Enterprises - 25 Raven Ave. Piscataway, NJ 08854

mlelstv@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Michael van Elst ) (11/28/89)

bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury) writes:

>toggle switch to jumper J102 and toggle between PAL and NTSC video (when
>powered off) and view the demo in it's full glory.

Switching between PAL and NTSC while still *POWERED ON* successfully
D A M A G E S  the chip.

Just a warning.

				Michael van Elst

E-mail: UUCP: ...uunet!unido!fauern!immd4!mlelstv

unhd (Jason W Nyberg) (11/30/89)

>> I'm surprised no one is talking about their other demos.  The

I'm surprised no one is talking about other demos, period.

      My roomate & I just downloaded Animate's first demo. They said
it was good, but they didn't prepare us enough.  It totally blew us away!
using the blitter, it copies about 128 (a guess, i didn't count) 3d looking
balls on the screen and using simple mathematical formulas, an almost endless
variety of spinning, snakeing, pulsing, etc. 3d patterns can be formed.  There
are about 5 patterns when you first boot it, toggled with the mouse.  when we
warm booted, another series of patterns emerged automatically!  We didn't
figure out what a column of hex numbers were, untill I struck upon the idea
of using a mouse in port2. it changed it, but when we plugged in a joystick,
we found we could modify all of the paramaters of the formulas! (we were
quite satisfied with the defaults until we found out about joy2) The music
is short, repeating, but very nice, especially on a good stereo system.
When I leave my computer on (24 hrs a day now) and am not running anything,
this is what I leave on (its much nicer than a blocky hand holding a disk!)
    Its called Lollybobs, and I can post it or mail it if any interest
manifests itself in my mailbox. A guaranteed knockout, considering it takes
up almost no memory, and loads in seconds. If it only Multitasked!

Jason Nyberg

unhd%udacsvm.bitnet%CLSEPF51.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (12/07/89)

Chris_F_Chiesa@cup.portal.com (12/10/89)

> >> I'm surprised no one is talking about their other demos.  The
>
> I'm surprised no one is talking about other demos, period.
>
>       My roomate & I just downloaded Animate's first demo. They said
> it was good, but they didn't prepare us enough.  It totally blew us away!
> using the blitter, it copies about 128 (a guess, i didn't count) 3d looking
> balls on the screen and using simple mathematical formulas, an almost endless
> variety of spinning, snakeing, pulsing, etc. 3d patterns can be formed.
>
> [...more...]

This reminds me of a demo I'm trying to find.  Saw it in a computer store once,
and the proprietor said "bring in a disk and we'll let you copy it," but they
went out of business (horrors!) before I was able to...

The demo starts out sorta like the description above, EXCEPT that after a
few minutes the flying reflective balls transform into little wing-flapping
"demons!"  There's also a "control menu" that nobody at the store could get
into on purpose, but which two people (and me, once!) got into by accident!

If anybody knows where I could find this, or even what it's called, I'd
love to hear it.  E-mail please, as I don't get in here (news) very often.

Thanks in advance!
  Chris
   Chris_F_Chiesa@cup.portal.com

boottrax@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Boot Trax) (12/11/89)

  The demo is called DOCs New..

 I have it ina  crunched form...

   btw/ umm you guys are looking at a lot of demos, but did you ever realize
where a lot of these demos are coming from?

   When you see scrolling text at the bottom of the screen saying....

  Hey dudes!! Greets go out to AKC, ACC, Bamiga Sector One, Quartex, DefJam
Netherlands, Fairlight, France etc...

 Do you know what those are?.. you guys are looking at the productions of
genius 15 year old kids that also CRACK and PIRATE every ware out there..

 Not too bad for mindless pirates huh?  Hackers still ive.

heh

--
(( boottrax@csd4.csd.uwm.edu ))    My opinions are copyrighted to myself     ))
 )) "Undermine their pompous authority, reject their moral standards, make  ((

kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (12/12/89)

>Do you know what those are? You guys are looking at the productions of
>genius 15 year old kids that also CRACK and PIRATE every ware out
>there.  Not too bad for mindless pirates, huh?  Hackers still live.

Whether they're pirates or not, their demos are a lot better IMHO than
most American demos because they have cool music like Kraftwerk's
Boing boom Tschaak and Jarre's Mag-Fields II. The only non-pirate demo
I've found (actually, I should say non-European because a lot of the
demos I've seen don't have the horrible Thank-yous) that was cool to
just leave on the Amy and attract people was the rotating cat one with
YTV in the background, and even that was all.... well, brown.

Of course, Walker's not exactly dull, either.  But it doesn't run in a
meg....
--
Robert Jude Kudla  <kudla@pawl.rpi.edu>

"Famous? I'm not famous. People come up to me after a show and say
    "'Hey, Steve!'"
                                -Jon Anderson

olson@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Todd Olson) (12/12/89)

In article <24874@cup.portal.com> Chris_F_Chiesa@cup.portal.com writes:
>The demo starts out sorta like the description above, EXCEPT that after a
>few minutes the flying reflective balls transform into little wing-flapping
>"demons!"  There's also a "control menu" that nobody at the store could get
>into on purpose, but which two people (and me, once!) got into by accident!
>
>If anybody knows where I could find this, or even what it's called, I'd
>love to hear it.  E-mail please, as I don't get in here (news) very often.
>
>Thanks in advance!
>  Chris
The demo you speak of is called D.O.C. and it is also a pirate intro.
When running it upon a 2000 with the PAL mode enabled the scroll
text tells how to get into the "control menu".   I am at work now and
don't remember all the keys, but the main ones are as follows:
     ENTER = control menu
    F1-F10 = control various aspects of the animation, such as x & y
             speed, transform to balls or demons, etc.
If anybody is really interested I can write down the exact key function.
Hope this helps...

                                       Todd Olson

olson@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

a218@mindlink.UUCP (Charlie Gibbs) (12/13/89)

In article <5697@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> olson@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu
(Todd Olson) writes:

>The demo you speak of is called D.O.C. and it is also a pirate intro.

     I have a disk with some demos from German crackers, and this
sounds like the one in the file named "Crusade".  It consists of a
number of reflective balls moving in complex patterns on the screen;
sometimes the balls turn into winged demons.  The background consists
of a checkerboard plain continuously moving off toward the horizon,
and a backdrop of stars and the letters DOC in some sort of Old
English font.  At the top of the screen are four horizontal columns
rotating around each other; bands of colour move up and down them in
a way which suggests that they are reading out the sound level on
each of the four audio channels.  The music is really good.

>If anybody is really interested I can write down the exact key function.

     I have found no key combinations which have any effect (except
for control-Amiga-Amiga, of course :-).  This demo doesn't exit with
a click of the left mouse button like the other ones on the disk do
(with the exception of AckerLight, a Wild Copper demo which just
hangs when you press the left mouse button).  In fact, there's no
way out of it short of re-booting the machine.

     DOC/Crusade runs too fast on my 2500, and the animation becomes
jerky.  I was able to run it successfully by re-booting under the
68000 until I had my 1-meg Agnus installed.  Now it crashes while
coming up.  Bummer.

     Many of these demos need to be FixHunk'd.  Raven won't run
properly at all on machines with fast RAM; both picture and sound
are trashed.  There are some advantages to non-auto-config RAM.  :-)

Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.UUCP
"Bash 'em up, smash 'em up, if they won't let you pass
 Yo-ho-ho and a gallon of gas."  (a taxi song whose source I forget)

olson@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Todd Olson) (12/13/89)

>The demo you speak of is called D.O.C. and it is also a pirate intro.

And as of now, it is posted in the incoming/amiga of xanth.

I would appreciate it if anybody else could put some of the others up.

 					Thanx
           				Todd Olson
olson@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (12/13/89)

olson@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Todd Olson) writes:

|The demo you speak of is called D.O.C. and it is also a pirate intro.
|When running it upon a 2000 with the PAL mode enabled the scroll
|text tells how to get into the "control menu".   I am at work now and

Would *somebody* just upload the thing and let me ftp it? Puuuhhleeeaase?

Sean
--
***  Sean Casey          sean@ms.uky.edu, sean@ukma.bitnet, ukma!sean
***  Copyright 1989 by Sean Casey. Only non-profit redistribution permitted.

bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury) (12/13/89)

> This reminds me of a demo I'm trying to find.  Saw it in a computer store once,
> and the proprietor said "bring in a disk and we'll let you copy it," but they
> went out of business (horrors!) before I was able to...
>
> The demo starts out sorta like the description above, EXCEPT that after a
> few minutes the flying reflective balls transform into little wing-flapping
> "demons!"  There's also a "control menu" that nobody at the store could get
> into on purpose, but which two people (and me, once!) got into by accident!
>
> If anybody knows where I could find this, or even what it's called, I'd
> love to hear it.  E-mail please, as I don't get in here (news) very often.
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Chris
> Chris_F_Chiesa@cup.portal.com

That demo you are looking for is called Crusaders and I have it up on my
system in ARC format.  If you would like the demo, give my system a call at
the number in my signature below.  It is quite a nice demo.

The demo is basically a chain of red mirrored balls (or metal) snaking and
writhing around on a 3d background with full shadows cast on the ground.
Besides the balls doing all sorts of patterns and then chaninging into little
gargoyle type flapping deamons (with full shadows) a good soundtrack plays
throughout as well as some scroll text I believe.  Check it out if you get the
chance.

This demo is at least 1-2 years old and is by the Crusaders cracking team I
believe.  I don't socilize in those circles so I don't know for sure.

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (12/15/89)

In article <5706@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> olson@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Todd Olson) writes:
> >The demo you speak of is called D.O.C. and it is also a pirate intro.
>
> And as of now, it is posted in the incoming/amiga of xanth.

Thanks for providing it.  It's been moved to /amiga/demos/doc.zoo:

  -rw-r--r--  1 tadguy   public     131437 Jun 21  1988 doc.zoo

> I would appreciate it if anybody else could put some of the others up.

Someone (I don't have a name) uploaded the KEFRENDS/7-UP CREW
``helldemo'' which has some nice reflections on water.  However, they
didn't upload the text file that was supposed to come with it
(``kef-7up.txt''), so it only displays a small built-in text (mostly
asking where the real file is).

It's available from xanth.cs.odu.edu in /amiga/demos as:

  -rw-r--r--  1 tadguy   public      39917 Dec 14 16:31 helldemo.zoo

Some more have come in and will be moved soon...

	...tad

hill@evax.utarl.edu (Anthony Adam Hill) (12/18/89)

      To all of the people out there that have demos

  Tad would like to hear from people that have some demos. BE careful though!
  When you WARP a demo be sure to UNWARP and make sure it works. Some will not
  UNWARP correctly. And it goes without saying use BINARY mode when FTP'ing.

  [ this goes out to George Ribeau]

   Tad is interested in lollybobs. Please contact me or him and we caninst    instruct you on how to go about submitting the demo.

  Viva la graphics!

    adam hill

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (12/19/89)

In article <6367@nigel.udel.EDU> hill@evax.utarl.edu (Anthony Adam Hill) writes:
>   Tad would like to hear from people that have some demos. BE
>   careful though!  When you WARP a demo be sure to UNWARP and make
>   sure it works. Some will not UNWARP correctly. And it goes without
>   saying use BINARY mode when FTP'ing.

You make me sound like some kind of demo junkie.  :-)

Well, since the subject was brought up, there are a few new demos on
xanth.cs.odu.edu in /amiga/demos:

  -rw-r--r--  1 tadguy   public      39916 Dec 18 20:46 helldemo.zoo
helldemo.zoo	The KEFRENS/7UP CREW demo (cool reflections in water).
		[contributed by Earle Ake <fac2@dayton.saic.com>]

  -rw-r--r--  1 tadguy   public     299065 Dec 18 20:51 seven-sins.zoo
seven-sins.zoo	Scoopex's _Seven Sins-Demo_ (single file).
		[contributed by Karl-Gunnar Hultland <d87-khd@sm.luth.se>]

  -rw-r--r--  1 tadguy   public     223982 Dec 18 20:50 solar.zoo
solar.zoo	Sun with three Earth's orbiting in 3-space (single file).
		[contributed by Jonas A. Lehmann <jlehmann@wpi.wpi.edu>]

  -rw-r--r--  1 tadguy   public     148736 Dec 18 20:48 wildcopper.zoo
wildcopper.zoo	The ``Wild Copper'' demo (single file).
		[contributed by Tad Guy <tadguy@cs.odu.edu>]

All of these are ``executable file'' style demos (containing a program
to execute instead of a disk to unwarp), and all are fairly small.
(The helldemo above now contains the previously missing text file).

There are more coming...
	...tad

ggibeau@ucqais.uc.edu (AMOEBOID) (12/19/89)

In article <6367@nigel.udel.EDU>, hill@evax.utarl.edu (Anthony Adam Hill) writes:
>   [ this goes out to George Ribeau]
                              ^^^^^^
    that's Gibeau (GRIN)
>    Tad is interested in lollybobs. Please contact me or him and we caninst    instruct you on how to go about submitting the demo.
>     adam hill

I will try to send up a bunch of stuff before I leave for FLorida
for the holidays.

George

--
UUCP:  ucqais.uc.edu!ggibeau  BBS: (513) 721-7977  GT NODE: 006/005
US Snail-Dept of Biology ML 06, University of Cincinnati, Ohio 45221

Chris_F_Chiesa@cup.portal.com (12/24/89)

Whew!  The replies to my article about a demo...

>This reminds me of a demo I'm trying to find....
>
>The demo starts out sorta like the description above, EXCEPT that after a
>few minutes the flying reflective balls transform into little wing-flapping
>"demons!"  There's also a "control menu" that nobody at the store could get
>into on purpose, but which two people (and me, once!) got into by accident!
>
>If anybody knows where I could find this, or even what it's called, I'd
>love to hear it.  E-mail please, as I don't get in here (news) very often.

... have been both NUMEROUS and INFORMATIVE!  Thanks to all who responded
(listed at end); here's a summary.

  First, WHICH demo are we talking about?  People seem to have several
different names for it: "DOCdemo" (due to "the letters D O C at the top
of the screen," that being the name or initials of the hacker group that
created it), "Hell Demo", "Crusade".  It turns out to have been uploaded
long ago to Portal by the name "Crusade," so that's the one I'M going to
know it by... :-)

   Second: features.  Thyss@cup.portal.com pointed out that there are
"moving bars that go with the music" at the top of the screen -- I don't
remember these, but then, I don't remember the D O C up there either.  (So
much for graphics demos as a means of gaining "name recognition!" :-)  )
Todd Olson <olson@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> reported that it was "designed to
run on a PAL machine," but I first saw it on an NTSC machine and it seemed
to be doing just fine...

  Third, several people wrote to ask "if you find it, can you send me a
copy?"  Well, thanks to Thyss@cup.portal.com, I was able to locate it in
a few minutes, right here in Portal's Amiga SIG file area, but I can't do
UUencode or other niceties here on Portal so would have to download,
probably ZOO, UUencode, and re-upload, to get it out.  Check your local
Amiga BBSes first, and if you STILL can't find it, THEN write me again!

  Fourth, that mystical Control Panel!  A couple of people were excited to
learn of it for the first time; several people remembered it but asked me
how to get into it, and ludde@nada.kth.se (Erik Lundevall) told me that "The
control mode is enabled after the scrolltext has been shown, it takes about
ten minutes to reach that stage."  Thanks, Erik, but do *I* have to do any-
thing to get it to appear, or does it come up by itself?  I remember at
the store when I first saw it, I hit a few keys and POOF! there it was.
Could never repeat it, either, but I might not have waited long enough.
On a related issue, davidg@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (David Guntner) asked, once
you get into the control panel, "what can you do with it?"  As I recall,
you can affect the flying balls' speed, separation, and flight patterns.
(The patterns appear to be analogous to oscilloscope "Lissajous figures,"
created by imposing sine waves of differing frequency in the X and Y
directions of motion; the control panel appears to give you control over
the frequencies used.  By thinking Lissajous, I was able to create the
flight-paths I wanted...)

  That's the poop.  Thanks to all who wrote; in order as received:

 DEUTSCH <jon@vax1.acs.udel.edu>
 Thyss@cup.portal.com
 ludde@nada.kth.se (Erik Lundevall)
 gregory m stiegler <gfre@pawl.rpi.edu>
 Todd Olson  <olson@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu>
 sun!usc.edu!wdao%girtab.usc.edu (Walter Dao)
 hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Anthony Adam Hill)
 "JKT (814) 862-8630" <JKT100@PSUVM.PSU.EDU>  - Kurt Tappe
 ldonahue@NMSU.Edu -- Larry Donahue
 "Mike Santoro" <MJS108@PSUVM.PSU.EDU>
 davidg@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (David Guntner)
 mike@otto.lvsun.com (Mike Mazzone)
 bchivers@smiley.mitre.org (Brent Chivers)
 sun!gatech.edu!dcatla!mclek (Larry E. Kollar)

Your input is much appreciated!  Thanks !

   Chris Chiesa
    Chris_F_Chiesa@cup.portal.com

ludde@nada.kth.se (Erik Lundevall) (12/27/89)

In article <25313@cup.portal.com> Chris_F_Chiesa@cup.portal.com writes:
>  Fourth, that mystical Control Panel!  A couple of people were excited to
>learn of it for the first time; several people remembered it but asked me
>how to get into it, and ludde@nada.kth.se (Erik Lundevall) told me that "The
>control mode is enabled after the scrolltext has been shown, it takes about
>ten minutes to reach that stage."  Thanks, Erik, but do *I* have to do any-
>thing to get it to appear, or does it come up by itself?  I remember at
>the store when I first saw it, I hit a few keys and POOF! there it was.

The control mode is entered by pressing the ENTER key, which is also used
to exit this mode. All parameters such as the speed are controlled with the
function and cursor keys. I might be wrong about the exact time when it is
possible to enter the control mode; it is not possible right from the start
and it is possible after the scrolltext has shown the instructions for it
(which is shown after 10-12 minutes).

>   Chris Chiesa
>    Chris_F_Chiesa@cup.portal.com

--
-Erik Lundevall                  Internet: ludde@nada.kth.se
 SnailMail: Korsbarsvagen 4B/422,S-114 23 STOCKHOLM,SWEDEN