[comp.sys.amiga] Need new moderator for comp.{sources,binaries}.amiga

page%swap@Sun.COM (Bob Page) (12/02/89)

As of Jan 1, I'm going to stop moderating the Amiga sources and binaries
groups.  It's not that I don't like doing it, it's that I don't have the
time to devote to the task to get it done as well as I'd like.  It
doesn't make me happy to be sitting on all these great sources and
binaries, when the rest of the world should have them.

So, I'd like to turn the task over to somebody else.  I don't want to
pick the new moderator, so please don't send your suggestions and
nominations to me.  Most of us are adults and I'm sure we can reach a
consensus as quickly as possible.  If everyone feels this should be
conducted via email, somebody can act as coordinator.

If/When a new moderator is chosen, I'll happily supply the tools I use
and impart some of the philosphy I used.  If no moderator is chosen,
I'll ask the Powers That Be to declare the group unmoderated.

Of course I will continue to accept and post sources and binaries
until Jan 1.

..bob

charles@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Charles Brown) (12/04/89)

> As of Jan 1, I'm going to stop moderating the Amiga sources and
> binaries groups.  It's not that I don't like doing it, it's that I
> don't have the time to devote to the task to get it done as well as
> I'd like.
>	page%swap@Sun.COM (Bob Page)

Bob
  Thank you for the great service you have provided to the Amiga
  community.  We are all indebted to you.
--
	Charles Brown	charles@cv.hp.com or charles%hpcvca@hplabs.hp.com
			or hplabs!hpcvca!charles or "Hey you!"

page@swap.Sun.COM (Bob Page) (12/06/89)

This posting is rather long, but I hope there's a lot of signal.

A number of folks have sent me mail expressing their interest, and
asking what it takes to be moderator.  First, interest should be
expressed to the net; I don't think I should be picking the new
moderator, I think the readers of comp.sys.amiga shoud decide.  If the
readers of c.s.a want me to decide, we can probably have the whole
matter taken care of in a few days, as I've already gotten some very
good people (in my opinion) asking to moderate.

Second, here's some answers to questions.

> How do you get stuff?

People email it to me.  Sometimes they post it to the binaries or
sources group like a regular posting.  In that case, some software on
their system knows it's a moderated group, and emails the article to
some site that knows who the moderator is.  That site emails the article
to me.  So either way, it ends up in my mailbox.

Since I also have Internet access, some folks send me mail with a
pointer to the code, and I FTP from their machine.  This is not common,
however.  At ULowell, I had a directory where people could FTP files to
me for posting, but Sun doesn't allow anonymous FTP, so I don't do
that here.

> Do you test the postings?

Usually not.  Mostly because I don't have the time.

> How much volume?

It comes and goes.  Figure on the average, about 200KB a week.  However,
the more often I post, the more people are encouraged (or reminded
maybe) to send me stuff, so when I'm posting, I'm usually getting a lot
of submissions.  If I don't post anything for a few weeks (a practice
I do not recommend, by the way), things come in slowly.  Since I
don't post a lot, I'd say 200KB/week.  If you post stuff as it comes
in, it might be as high as 500KB/week.

> How much time does it take to do the job justice?

I'd figure on 10 minutes per individual posting you end up sending.  For
multi-part postings, maybe 5 minutes per, so a 6-part posting to the
binaries groups takes maybe half an hour to prepare and post.  I do
everything on my UNIX machine so I can get it done faster (sometimes the
Amiga is faster but there's upload/download time involved too).  If I
tested the code, it would naturally take a lot longer.

Some take a LOT of time, some take almost no time.  I can count on
submissions from Matt Dillon to take a while, as the binaries and
sources need to be parsed out of his tree into different areas, docs and
config files need to be indentified and duplicated, and sometimes
binary-only run-time code needs to be uuencoded for the sources group,
otherwise the source code isn't complete, and I'll get flamed.  On the
other hand, I know anything from Kim DeVaughn can go out very quickly,
since he sends me things in split, uuencode zoo files, usually separated
into sources and binaries.

You can cut down on the amount of time you spend fiddling with code by
requiring rigidly formatted submissions, but I suggest against it.  I
accept things in just about any format - compressed tar files, split
uuencoded lharc files, etc.  You name it, people will send it.  I figure
that way is best, because if people have to conform to rigid posting
rules, they won't submit.  I can easily see Matt, for example, saying
'take it or leave it, I'm too busy to format it for you' .. and I
wouldn't blame him for it.

> How much disk space do you have to devote to the job?

Once the posting comes in, it goes into a holding area until I can get
to it.  When I go to post it, I copy it from the holding area into the
posting work area, and also to a 'saved' area, just in case I get
reports of problems later on.  I nominally save the 'saved' stuff (the
original postings as they come into me) for about a month.

Once the posting is reformatted to "Usenet-standard" and goes out to the
world, I put the files in an archive.  I was fortunate that while I was
at ULowell I ran the machines, so I could devote as much disk space to
the archive as I wanted.  At Sun, Raz was kind enough to give up 70MB of
his workstation's disk for the kilowatt archive, so I could keep stuff
there.

While you don't HAVE to have an archive, there are two reasons why you
should.  The first is that when you post something, you give it an
archive name, for all those sites around the world (and there are quite
a few of them!) that automatically archive the sources.  If you don't
have an archive yourself, you'll save disk space, but you won't know
what names you've already used, so you might give something the same
name you've already used, which is going to mess up the archive, if not
the archivers.  The second reason is that folks will often ask you to
send them posting foo.uu4 or something, which you posted a month ago, or
yesterday, but for some reason never made it to their site.  [This
manual intervention stuff goes with the territory, I'm afraid.  At Sun
Raz set up en email archive server so I could direct folks to use that
rather then spend my time sending people stuff from the archive]

The archive is currently about 40M-50MB.  An exact figure is hard to
give since kilowatt's archive is in a sad state.  Raz has since moved,
so he's not on kilowatt any more.  My (and now Raz's) network connection
to it hasn't been good enough lately to get things as good as they
should be.  Hopefully soon I can put everything on tape and send it
off to those folks who want it.

Technically, you can get by without having to use up much disk space.
The method I took probably maximized the amount of disk space needed.
Over time, however, I'm glad I used the approach I did.

> Do I have to post from a UNIX system?

No.  You do need the posting tools, however.  The most rudimentary are
the preparation tools, like zoo, uuencode, shar and split.  I have some
special tools to look for viruses in binaries, binaries in source
postings, etc, but there's just stock C that you can port anywhere.

There is one tool, the actual posting program, that does a lot of things
on your behalf, like increment the issue number, keep a log of postings,
make sure you get the headers right, etc.  It was originally written for
UNIX by Rich Salz, moderator of comp.sources.unix.  I've modified it a
great deal, and it still runs only under UNIX, but I've used it on a
VAX, sun3 and sun4 without any problems.  Once you see what it does, you
might be able to port it to your machine, or convert it to AREXX
scripts, or whatever.

The one tool I don't have but should is something that looks for
copyright notices and shows them to me.  At the moment I have to do it
myself.  You'd be suprised at the number of people who put copyright
notices in their code and docs and never permit redistribution.  A quick
note to them usually clears things up.

> How much do you reject?

I accept almost everything except for:
	1. Demos of commercial software
	2. Products of software, like animations, sound files, pictures.
	   Once in a while I make an exception for stuff that's bundled
	   with something else; e.g. a sound file with 'muncho'.

I also temporarily reject Copyrighted material with no redistribution
statement, and stuff I can't unpack (people invent the weirdest ways to
send stuff.  If comp.binaries.amiga was unmoderated, there would be
more people wailing about how they need some unarchiver than people
posting code).  Usually a note to the submitter about the problem
will clear things up.

I don't like posting shareware either, but I post it.

> How do you decide what gets posted when?

Usually First in, first out.  Once in a while I give priority to some
code that's relevent to a hot topic in one of the discussion groups.
However, I don't do that any more because I haven't had time to read
Usenet since July.

> Bitnet OK?  Or is it pretty much a internet/usenet specific function???

It's pretty much a USENET (not even internet) specific function, only
because USENET was never designed to ship large programs around.  I
think the moderator needs to continually keep that in mind, else we'd
start seeing 400K postings, which would never work in the Usenet world.
[We're talking least common denominator here, unfortunately].  BITNET
has the distinctly bad reputation for 80-character records, and munging
the ASCII character set.  It's doable from anywhere, but I think a
Usenet site would be best.

> Will I be famous?

Yup.  Not as famous as Fred Fish, though.	:-)

..bob

michael@fts1.UUCP (Michael Richardson) (12/12/89)

In article <128801@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> page@Eng.sun.com (Bob Page) writes:
>This posting is rather long, but I hope there's a lot of signal.
>
>A number of folks have sent me mail expressing their interest, and
>asking what it takes to be moderator.  First, interest should be
>expressed to the net; I don't think I should be picking the new
>moderator, I think the readers of comp.sys.amiga shoud decide.  If the

  Yes, please post to the net! It wasn't until my roomate told me
of your decision that I knew of it. I stopped reading comp.sys.amiga
because of the volume. (I'm in favour of lots of smaller newsgroups,
or at least --- a big kill file)

	I have resubscribed to comp.sys.amiga with a kill file to mark
anything with `moderator' as the subject as unread.

	I wish I had the time --- I can probably find the disk space.

--
  :!mcr!:
  Michael C. Richardson

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (12/12/89)

As you know, Bob Page is going to stop moderating the Amiga sources
and binaries groups at the end of the year.  He has asked that a
potential new moderator come forward, and that we discuss/decide upon
a new moderator ourselves in comp.sys.amiga.

I would like to offer my services as moderator of comp.sources.amiga
and comp.binaries.amiga.  I believe that I have the time and resources
to devote to these newsgroups to ensure reasonable turnaround.  Many
of you already know me as the maintainer of the Xanth Archives, a long
time archive site of Amiga software.  My contact site of
xanth.cs.odu.edu is easily reachable on the IP Internet and via UUCP
(being registered in HOSTS.TXT, the DNS, and the UUCP Mapping Project).

If I were to be moderator, I would perform much as Bob has (no
testing, repackage everything into consistent uuencoded split zoo
files, etc.)  I would probably choose a different naming scheme
(something more similar to comp.sources.unix, where multi-part
postings appear in the archives as Part01.Z, etc), although I could be
convinced to do otherwise.

Bob has served as a great moderator, and I'm sorry to see him go.  He
asked that the discussion of this issue be in comp.sys.amiga, so let's
get to it...

Comments?

	...tad

bryan@cs.utexas.edu (Bryan Bayerdorffer @ Wit's End) (12/13/89)

In article <TADGUY.89Dec11223718@diatomite.cs.odu.edu> tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) writes:
=-
=-I would like to offer my services as moderator of comp.sources.amiga
=-and comp.binaries.amiga.  I believe that I have the time and resources
=-to devote to these newsgroups to ensure reasonable turnaround.  Many
=-of you already know me as the maintainer of the Xanth Archives

	Tad's been coing an excellent job with the archives, and in my opinion
it's a big advantage to have the moderator also be the maintainer of the
archive at a well-connected internet site.  Unless someone's got a radically
better suggestion, he's got my vote.

I propose the following:  Allow one week for anyone who thinks they can do a
better job as moderator to volunteer.  If one or more such persons come
forward, someone can collect the votes of comp.sys.amiga* readers.  If not, Tad
is it.  We don't want to drag this out forever.
	I'd volunteer to collect votes, but I'm going to be away for three
weeks shortly.

nraoaoc@nmtsun.nmt.edu (NRAO Array Operations Center) (12/13/89)

In article <TADGUY.89Dec11223718@diatomite.cs.odu.edu> tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) writes:
>As you know, Bob Page is going to stop moderating the Amiga sources
>a new moderator ourselves in comp.sys.amiga....
>
>I would like to offer my services as moderator of comp.sources.amiga
>Comments?
>	Tad

I think it is great that Tad is willing to take this job on.  As a frequent
user of the xanth archive, I can say that we can be sure he will do a good
job.

We are all indebted to Bob for his contributions to the Amiga community.

Pat Palmer

nschultz@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Ned W. Schultz) (12/13/89)

I think that Tad has more than demonstrated his competence via xanth,
so he has my vote for the new moderator.  Thanks for you willingness
to do this, Tad.

Ned Schultz    nschultz@polyslo.calpoly.edu

Tad is our man.  I cast my vote for him.

-- Marco
[.signature under contruction]

Tad's got my vote.

-larry

--
" All I ask of my body is that it carry around my head."
         - Thomas Alva Edison -

GIAMPAL@AUVM.BITNET (12/13/89)

Tad has my vote for new moderator also, but I just have one question for Tad.
You mentioned that you will be leaving your position at Xanth when you are done
with school.  How much longer is that?  I'm sure you'll do a good job, but will
it cause any confusion if your address changes?   Just wondering.

      --dominic

fac2@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) (12/14/89)

In article <1989Dec13.041211.20315@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU>, nschultz@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Ned W. Schultz) writes:
> I think that Tad has more than demonstrated his competence via xanth,
> so he has my vote for the new moderator.  Thanks for you willingness
> to do this, Tad.

Mine too.  Would that also mean that Tad would keep the submissions online
there at xanth as well?

             ____ ____    ___
Earle Ake   /___ /___/ / /     Science Applications International Corporation
           ____//   / / /__                 Dayton, Ohio
Internet: fac2%dayton.saic.com@uunet.uu.net    uucp: uunet!dayvb!fac2

aegnor@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (David C. Powell) (12/14/89)

Tad gets my vote also...  I can NOT get to Xanth, but after hearing/seeing
all the good things said about him, they MUST be treu...  ;-)  right Tad?

Besides that, I maintain OUR archives of Amiga stuff here at BSU, and wish
the service of GETTING binaries/sources to remain pretty consistant/constant!

There...  my .02 worth...

                                  David C. Powell
                                  M.I.S. Senior
                                  Ball State University
                                  Muncie, Indiana

*-David Powell :ARPA: aegnor@bsu-cs.bsu.edu--------------------------*
| \/ President :UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!aegnor       |
| /\etwnk Industries, Ltd. :                                         |
*-"If it doesn't work, we DIDN'T do it!"-----------------------------*

kms@uncecs.edu (Ken Steele) (12/14/89)

In article <TADGUY.89Dec11223718@diatomite.cs.odu.edu>, tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) writes:
> As you know, Bob Page is going to stop moderating the Amiga sources
> and binaries groups at the end of the year.  He has asked that a
> potential new moderator come forward, and that we discuss/decide upon
> a new moderator ourselves in comp.sys.amiga.
>
> I would like to offer my services as moderator of comp.sources.amiga
> and comp.binaries.amiga.  I believe that I have the time and resources
> to devote to these newsgroups to ensure reasonable turnaround.  Many
> of you already know me as the maintainer of the Xanth Archives, a long
> time archive site of Amiga software.  My contact site of
> xanth.cs.odu.edu is easily reachable on the IP Internet and via UUCP
> (being registered in HOSTS.TXT, the DNS, and the UUCP Mapping Project).
> 	...tad

Tad has volunteered for this position, and he has the background
to do an excellent job.

It is time that we moved along with picking a new moderator.
Other people who are interested in the position should do like
Tad.  Go ahead and post your offer along with a short description
for people who may not be familiar with your history of
involvement with comp.{sources | binaries}.amiga.

Ken

--
Ken Steele   Dept. of Psychology    kms@ecsvax[.bitnet]
             Mars Hill College      kms@ecsvax.uncecs.edu

monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) (12/15/89)

In article <864.25864509@dayton.saic.com> fac2@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) writes:
>In article <1989Dec13.041211.20315@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU>, nschultz@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Ned W. Schultz) writes:
>> I think that Tad has more than demonstrated his competence via xanth,
>Mine too.  Would that also mean that Tad would keep the submissions online
>there at xanth as well?

    Along this same vein, could something like the server we had for a while
be set up to allow access to the archives for us people that do not have ftp
access? Just a thought, no flames please.

Monty Saine

jenglish@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Jim English) (12/15/89)

In article <556@sagpd1.UUCP> monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) writes:

>    Along this same vein, could something like the server we had for a while
>be set up to allow access to the archives for us people that do not have ftp
>access? Just a thought, no flames please.

We do not have the luxury of FTP either. A server would be fantastic!
Herbie casts one vote for stuffing!!!
--
Jim English    MD-IPC   | JENGLISH@F74.TYMNET.COM or jenglish@tardis.tymnet.com
(214)637-7406  Dallas   | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jenglish

In <TADGUY.89Dec15135100@diatomite.cs.odu.edu>, tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) writes:
>  While I'd like to make them available, I'm concered about the possibility of
>someone submitting copyrighted material, which would then be available for ftp.
>I think it'd be safer if the unposted submissions were kept away from the ftp
>area until they are verified to be distributable.

I agree.  While I would not expect the moderator to fully test each and every
submission, I do feel that submissions should be at least checked for copyright
before being made available. There is nothing that will screw things up quite
as badly as posting copyright material.

-larry

--

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (12/16/89)

In article <89347.090815GIAMPAL@AUVM.BITNET> GIAMPAL@AUVM.BITNET writes:
> You mentioned that you will be leaving your position at Xanth when
> you are done with school.  How much longer is that?  I'm sure you'll
> do a good job, but will it cause any confusion if your address
> changes?  Just wondering.

You weren't supposed to mention that! :-)

It's true -- I start a new job January.  However, I will continue to
have access to xanth (universities are funny that way), and will
continue to maintain the archives there until I have a suitable
archive site established at my new place of work.  The new archive
will probably be on my SPARCstation-1 with 660M of local disk space... :-)

I don't foresee my job change as affecting my ability to moderate, or
to maintain the xanth archives.

	...tad

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (12/16/89)

In article <864.25864509@dayton.saic.com> fac2@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) writes:
> Would that also mean that Tad would keep the submissions online
> there at xanth as well?

Complete archives of comp.sources.amiga and comp.binaries.amiga (since
Bob took over) are already archives on xanth.cs.odu.edu in /usenet/.

Postings that haven't yet gone out would be kept on xanth, but I'm
undecided whether yet-unposted submissions should be available.  While

donw@zehntel.zehntel.com (Don White) (12/16/89)

In article <TADGUY.89Dec11223718@diatomite.cs.odu.edu> tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) writes:
>As you know, Bob Page is going to stop moderating the Amiga sources
>and binaries groups at the end of the year.  He has asked that a
>potential new moderator come forward, and that we discuss/decide upon
>
>I would like to offer my services as moderator of comp.sources.amiga

     My (often faulty) memory of Bobs request was for feed back. Who chooses
  the moderator? I sent him mail saying that I felt he was a good person to
  make the choice.

     For my two cents worth, Tad sounds like an excellent choice.

     Don (wish I had the time to do it myself.) White
     Box 271177 Concord, CA. 94527-1177
     zehntel!donw

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (12/16/89)

In article <556@sagpd1.UUCP> monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) writes:
>     Along this same vein, could something like the server we had for a while
> be set up to allow access to the archives for us people that do not have ftp
> access? Just a thought, no flames please.

I intend to have a mail based archive server available, but I can't
offer any dates or committments.  Just good intentions...

I'm an archive-server elitist -- I'm not fully happy with any of the
archive servers I've found so far, though they all have some things I
like.  I want one that encompasses all those good things.  I'll
probably end up doing it myself (actually, I've already half-written
it).

When it's available, I'll post an announcement, but don't hold your
breath.  Sorry...

	...tad

magik@sorinc.PacBell.COM (Darrin A. Hyrup) (12/17/89)

In article <886@tardis.Tymnet.COM> jenglish@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Jim English) writes:
>In article <556@sagpd1.UUCP> monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) writes:
>>    Along this same vein, could something like the server we had for a while
>>be set up to allow access to the archives for us people that do not have ftp
>>access? Just a thought, no flames please.
>>
>We do not have the luxury of FTP either. A server would be fantastic!
>Herbie casts one vote for stuffing!!!

I also think it would be a good idea for the new moderator to be able to
make the archives available via anonymous UUCP or email server for those
who do not have access to the internet/ftp.

Btw, I put in my vote for Tad.

>Jim English    MD-IPC   | JENGLISH@F74.TYMNET.COM or jenglish@tardis.tymnet.com

        -Darrin
--
Darrin A. Hyrup              // AMIGA Enthusiast         rencon!esfenn!dah
magik@sorinc.PacBell.COM   \X/ & Software Developer   pacbell!sorinc!magik

monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) (12/21/89)

>When it's available, I'll post an announcement, but don't hold your
>breath.  Sorry...
>
>	...tad

Thank You, we will wait (probably impatiently - but hopefully).

Monty Saine

davel@sequent.UUCP (Dave Lennert) (12/28/89)

>>    Along this same vein, could something like the server we had for a while
>>be set up to allow access to the archives for us people that do not have ftp
>>access?
>
>We do not have the luxury of FTP either. A server would be fantastic!

While we're on the subject, I'd like an email server for access to
Fred Fish disks.  I also lack FTP access and would love to be able to
pickup the occasional program that wasn't also posted to usenet.

Any possibilities of this?

    Dave Lennert                {uunet,sun,tektronix}!sequent!davel
    Sequent Computer Systems    sequent!davel@uunet.UU.NET
    15450 S.W. Koll Parkway
    Beaverton, OR  97006        (503) 526-4245