[comp.sys.amiga] ARC and ZOO Help Needed

sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu (scott sutherland) (12/29/89)

	I have two quick questions.  First, is there an ftp site where I can
get a version of ARC for the SUN 3/50?
	Second, and most importantly, I just downloaded the WaveSailing demo
from xanth.cs.odu.edu in zoo format.  I have zoo which I also got from xanth
which is now up and running on my SUN 3/50.  I used the SUN version of zoo
to extract the WaveSailing demo, but the .info files were skipped.  I need
to know if the anim and other files which were unzoo'd using the SUN version
of zoo will work if I transfer them to my Amy, or do I need to use the Amiga
version of zoo and first transfer the zoo'd files to my Amy and THEN extract,
using the Amiga zoo.  If the latter is true, then I do need ARC, since the
version of Amiga zoo which I got from xanth is an .arc file.

Need help soon.

Thanks,

Scott Sutherland
sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu

BTW, has anyone out there actually seen the WaveSailing demo?  Is it all that
it is cracked up to be?

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (12/29/89)

In article <838@orange9.qtp.ufl.edu> sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu (scott sutherland) writes:
> Is there an ftp site where I can get a version of ARC for the SUN 3/50?

anonymous ftp to xanth.cs.odu.edu, in /pub/unix-arc/
(it's the same stuff that available from Simtel20...)

> I used the SUN version of zoo to extract the WaveSailing demo, but
> the .info files were skipped.

Umm, try the -a option to ``ls''.  Remember that in UNIX, files with
names beginning with a dot are hidden by ls by default.

> I need to know if the anim and other files which were unzoo'd using
> the SUN version of zoo will work if I transfer them to my Amy,

They will work, however...

> or do I need to use the Amiga version of zoo and first transfer the
> zoo'd files to my Amy and THEN extract, using the Amiga zoo.  If the
> latter is true, then I do need ARC, since the version of Amiga zoo
> which I got from xanth is an .arc file.

You'd do yourself a favor to get Zoo on your Amiga.  You will then be
able to download the .zoo files instead of having to worry about
things getting eaten on the way, ``forgetting'' a file, messing up the
directory structure, etc.  It'll make things easier for you.

So, get your UNIX version of ARC, unpack the Amiga ZOO and put it on
your machine, then send the wavesailing demo to your machine and unzoo
it there with peace of mind that you've got it all. :-)

	...tad

> BTW, has anyone out there actually seen the WaveSailing demo?  Is it all that
> it is cracked up to be?

It's pretty neat.  Worth the trouble...