[comp.sys.amiga] Wedge and Bus Expander

In <4251@scolex.sco.COM>, brianm@sco.COM (Brian Moffet) writes:
>2 questions from people who have these boards:
>
>Wedge:  Does this pass all PC lines through?  Something I read
>	says it converts IBM St506 controllers to the amiga.
>	If I want to use an IBM Video card in it instead, would
>	that work?

No. It translates just enough to do its job. You can probably run other I/O
boards on it, provided you have written a driver to do so, but I don't know
what boards will or won't work.

-larry

--
" All I ask of my body is that it carry around my head."
         - Thomas Alva Edison -

brianm@sco.COM (Brian Moffet) (12/29/89)

2 questions from people who have these boards:

Wedge:  Does this pass all PC lines through?  Something I read
	says it converts IBM St506 controllers to the amiga.
	If I want to use an IBM Video card in it instead, would
	that work?

Bus Expander from Bill's Boards:  How good is it? Can you access
	both the memory and the I/O space of the 6 IBM slots?

I'm trying to find a reason to not sell my Amy 1000 and buy an 80386.
Video is very important.

thanks much

brian moffet

erd@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (Ethan R Dicks) (12/30/89)

In article <4251@scolex.sco.COM> brianm@sco.COM (Brian Moffet) writes:

>2 questions from people who have these boards:
>
>Wedge:  Does this pass all PC lines through?  Something I read
>	says it converts IBM St506 controllers to the amiga.
>	If I want to use an IBM Video card in it instead, would
>	that work?

As an owner of a WEDGE 1000 and a WEDGE 500, these are my $0.02 USD...

The WEDGE is an 8 bit mapping of I/O space into Amiga memory space.  The
interrupt lines are not run by default, but are present in the circuit (a
jumper and interrupt compatible software are required).  You can put into
the WEDGE, parallel cards, serial cards, disk interfaces and even game I/O
cards.  I don't believe that there is enough mapping space for a video card.

On my WEDGE 1000, I have had a multi-slot backplane (Ciarcia's Circuit Cellar's
passive AT backplane) but never got around to writing driver software.  The
WEDGE 500 should also be able to take more slots, but power and mechanical
considerations must be addressed first.

Good Luck
-ethan

--
Ethan R. Dicks       | ######  This signifies that the poster is a member in
Software Results Corp|   ##    good sitting of Inertia House: Bodies at rest.