[comp.sys.amiga] IFF Library

In article <19361@cup.portal.com> stephan@cup.portal.com (Stephen Derek Schaem) writes:

> Well the idea could be; From CBM to make a disk based iff library that

I don't remember who, but I seem to recall
that somebody said they were working on an iff.library.

Question to whom ever you are: How are you going to deal with the
multitude of different forms?

I simple idea that I had is: have libraries of the name IFFform.library,
where 'form' is the 4letter form code. There would also be a
IFFgeneral.library that each of the IFFform.libraries would open and
use. This would make it easy for anybody to extend their iff libraries.

This is an example of a short .signature   jap@frith.cl.msu.edu

rap@rap.ardent.com (Rob Peck) (06/13/89)

In article <3373@cps3xx.UUCP> porkka@frith.UUCP (Joe Porkka) writes:

>I don't remember who, but I seem to recall
>that somebody said they were working on an iff.library.

There are now at least two different iff.library workers, one
is on either FISH disk 164 or 173, but I have heard (though not
yet noticed) that there are some bugs in it.  The bug report
comes from someone at Amiga World who claims to have received
a more recent copy (and will be sending it to me RSN).  The
other iff-ish.library is from Leo Schwab and friend (Scott E? if
I remember right).  He declares it as version 0.31 or so, and has
not yet released it for general distribution.  Great docs Leo --
wish I'd had time to actually test it out.

Actually, Leo's is an iff PARSER library, "hand me the next chunk
in this file that looks like this", I believe.  For example, it
does not have functions for unpacking interleaved bit maps, leaving
the processing of iff chunks to the caller.  Wanna release any details
Leo?

Rob Peck

stephan@cup.portal.com (Stephen Derek Schaem) (06/14/89)

 To be more precise on the type of iff.library:
ILBM come to mind... SMUS,8SVX,WORD ANIM?..
I will be really happy if only the ILBM was done, It's really incredible
to see how mutch time/space is WAISTED.... I would love to see all
aplication adopting a IFFILBM.library (<-good idea..).
 First if the library is corectly written (at least good asm code) and bug
free.That offer a +, since you know that now there are *really* compatible
formate since all are using the same code.
 I dont see how wont be happy to have a library the like.But to make it
function right it better come from CBM, since comercial product dont
use *uncertain* programes.
 But I would like to push the idea further to not only ILBM for gfx but
others too.

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) (12/29/89)

Hey all comp.netters !

(Merry belated X-MAS and all)

I am working on a program here that would benefit from some pictures and
sound.  To that end, I went BBS-Hopping and found

          "The Universal IFF LIBRARY FOR THE AMIGA"
           By Christian A. WEBER (Zurich)
           VERSION 16.1    01-DEC-88

This is a VERY nice setup, has a iff.library file for LIBS:, and loading a
picture is as easy as OpenIFF("filename") and DecodePic(file,bitmap) and
so on.

He promised to upgrade this library to deal with sound, and as I want sound
in this program was wondering if there was a new version??

OR , is there any code around to play digitized sounds...???

"Perfume and leather baby , you and me together baby,
  what good is living in paradise, if you don't let yourself once or twice."
 -Tiffany

 Kenneth J. Jamieson ---- THE BOSS at Xanadu Enterprises Inc.
      UUCP: tron1@tronsbox.UUCP  BEST PATH ---> uunet!tronsbox!tron1
      Sysop, Romantic Encounters BBS - (201)759-8450 / (201)759-8568

riley@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Daniel S. Riley) (12/31/89)

In article <[259a9bc4:3533]comp.sys.amiga@tronsbox.UUCP> tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) writes:
>          "The Universal IFF LIBRARY FOR THE AMIGA"
>           By Christian A. WEBER (Zurich)
>           VERSION 16.1    01-DEC-88
>
>This is a VERY nice setup, has a iff.library file for LIBS:, and loading a
>picture is as easy as OpenIFF("filename") and DecodePic(file,bitmap) and
>so on.

Actually, it isn't all that nice.  It isn't very general (it *certainly*
isn't universal), and every release I have seen has serious bugs.  Some
of the routines just don't work, and some will crash parsing perfectly
legal IFF FORM ILBM's (it seems to not like some legal sizes).

When, oh when, is the long awaited IFFparse.library going to come out, so
we can get rid of all these second rate pretenders?

-Dan Riley (riley@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu, cornell!batcomputer!riley)
-Wilson Lab, Cornell University