[comp.sys.amiga] Apple SCSI not compatible with standard SCSI?

stephen%hpdml93.hp.com@cunyvm.cuny.edu (12/06/89)

dawill@hubcap.clemson.edu (david williams) writes:
>     Hummm.  I am in the process of hacking together a 50pin-to-25pin connector

>for a StarDrive I recently got.  The target drive (my roomate's) is a
 miniscribe
>8425S.  Is this drive differential?  If not, how often is differential drive
>used in the REAL world?  I have a feeling that this would only be used on
>really high-end drives, much as professional audio uses balanced connectors,
 and
>consumer stuff only uses single-ended.

Yup.  Differential drives are mostly used on high-end systems.  The SCSI
bus uses +12V and -12V signal levels as opposed to +5v and GND used on
Single-ended drives.  Obviously, the differential drives are not as
sensitive to say a 2V signal drop as would a single-ended drive.

NOTE TO EVERYONE WHO IS WORRIED IF THEY HAVE A DIFFERENTIAL DRIVE ON
THEIR AMIGA:  All of the SCSI controllers that I know of for the Amiga
use single-ended SCSI.  You would *REALLY* know if you put a differential
drive on a single-ended controller!! :-)

I would *LOVE* to see standardization of cables (eg, SCSI means 50 pin
cable, serial interface means DB-25 cable, etc.).  Speaking of standard
cables, what possessed Commodore to use a DB-23?!?!?!? :-)

Stephen Holmstead
...!hplabs!hpdmlge!stephen                      //
Hewlett Packard Disk Memory Division          \X/  Amiga Forever!

"I remind you that humans are only a tiny minority in this galaxy."
        -- Spock, "The Apple," stardate 3715.6.

charles%hpcvca.cv.hp.com@cunyvm.cuny.edu (12/07/89)

>      Hummm.  I am in the process of hacking together a 50pin-to-25pin
> connector for a StarDrive I recently got.  The target drive (my
> roomate's) is a miniscribe 8425S.  Is this drive differential?

No.  SCSI is not differential.  It merely (most of the time)
interdigitates signals and grounds in the 50 wire ribbon cable.
Sort of a poor man's differential drive.

> If not, how often is differential drive used in the REAL world?  I
> have a feeling that this would only be used on  really high-end
> drives, much as professional audio uses balanced connectors, and
> consumer stuff only uses single-ended.
>                Dave Williams
>                  dawill@hubcap.clemson.edu

Rarely.  Don't worry about it.
--
        Charles Brown   charles@cv.hp.com or charles%hpcvca@hplabs.hp.com
                        or hplabs!hpcvca!charles or "Hey you!"

toweri@clinet.FI (Jukka Lindgren) (12/17/89)

Is anyone out there able to tell, how "standard" the "standard"
SCSI-drives are?

In my work, I am seeing a lot of >300Mb SCSI-drives, and sometimes I
have wondered, if it would be possible to connect them to my Amiga.
I have GVP 42Mb drive with GVP controller.  It has an external connector
(25 pins) and it draws its power from Amigas own power supply.  Is the
external connctor ONLY for Amiga-SCSI-drives, or is it universal?
(More or less, at least...)

-=(toweri)=-
--
= VOICE: + 358 0 571789              || Any opinions expressed contain        =
= EMAIL: toweri@clinet.fi            ||     * The Absolute Truth *            =

In <1371@clinet.FI>, toweri@clinet.FI (Jukka Lindgren) writes:
>Is anyone out there able to tell, how "standard" the "standard"
>SCSI-drives are?

Most modern SCSI drives support a common command set that allows them to be
used interchangably. There are exceptions to this, and the only real way to
tell is to either find someone who has tried a particular combo, or try it
yourself.

>In my work, I am seeing a lot of >300Mb SCSI-drives, and sometimes I
>have wondered, if it would be possible to connect them to my Amiga.
>I have GVP 42Mb drive with GVP controller.

You have half the battle won, in that you have the GVP and the drives to try.
I don't have a GVP host adapter, but have tried many drives on the ComSpec,
2090, 2090A, and HardFrame, with only one attempt being a failure (Maxtor
LXT-100S on a HardFrame).

>  It has an external connector
>(25 pins) and it draws its power from Amigas own power supply.  Is the
>external connctor ONLY for Amiga-SCSI-drives, or is it universal?
>(More or less, at least...)

There really isn't any such thing as an 'Amiga-SCSI-drive', unless you want to
put that label on one of the 'packaged systems'. The 25 pin connector is
Apple's idea of a SCSI interface connector (I sincerely wish the Amiga folks
doing host adapters would supply a real 50 pin one instead). You will need a
cable (get it from a Mac dealer, an external enclosure/pwr_supply/fan if you
need to mount it externally.

-larry

--
" All I ask of my body is that it carry around my head."
         - Thomas Alva Edison -

monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) (12/20/89)

In article <1371@clinet.FI> toweri@clinet.UUCP (Jukka Lindgren) writes:
>Is anyone out there able to tell, how "standard" the "standard"
>SCSI-drives are?

    In MOST instances the hardware is "standard" (apple has a different
reset handling method) your problem lies in which SCSI commands are
implemented and how they are implemented. I am presently working on a
SCSI project and have two devices that handle reporting of bad blocks entirely
different. One uses the extended request sense command and the other
uses a specific command to return the information. The point here is
that the SCSI spec leaves a lot of "user definable" holes that are filled
differently by different manufacturers.
    I guess the real answer to your question is the bus is standard but
the information carried over it is not.

    Hope I helped
    Monty Saine

>In my work, I am seeing a lot of >300Mb SCSI-drives, and sometimes I
>have wondered, if it would be possible to connect them to my Amiga.
>I have GVP 42Mb drive with GVP controller.  It has an external connector
>(25 pins) and it draws its power from Amigas own power supply.  Is the
>external connctor ONLY for Amiga-SCSI-drives, or is it universal?
>(More or less, at least...)

rokkar@dsoft.UUCP (Paul Bell) (12/31/89)

As a registered GVP dealer, I can tell you this (if someone already has,
apologies) -- the Impact and other hard drives by GVP are advertised as being
able to chain 6 SCSI drives and 1 Apple/Mac SCSI.  So, there must be some
difference, but they do allow you one connect anyway.  If it's a big drive,
why not give it a shot.

By the by, gang, I offer great prices on anything GVP.  Happy to help anyone
seeking to purchase drives, accelerators, etc.

Paul
Paul Bell & Assoc Inc.
West Orange, NJ. 07052
(201) 736-3298: office

Or, reach me at ddsw1!tronsbox!dsoft!rokkar
or, uunet!tronsbox!dsoft!rokkar