[comp.sys.amiga] Problems with Ares

schwager@m.cs.uiuc.edu (12/31/89)

I wonder if anybody else is having this problem:

On files that appear to be compiled with Aztec C, Ares (of Arp fame)
complains about checksum errors in the file.  Also, some (DMake, for
instance) will guru my machine regularly if I try to make it resident.  Am
I hosed, or is Ares?  Can anyone explain this behavior?

I have an A500 with 1 Meg ram, two disks, running morerows, conman, ashell,
dnet, and I'm trying to use Aztec C 3.4 (waiting for the next big release
before I update).

Thanks!
-Mike Schwager
INTERNET:schwager@cs.uiuc.edu
UUCP:{uunet|convex|pur-ee}!uiucdcs!schwager
BITNET:schwager%cs.uiuc.edu@uiucvmd
University of Illinois, Dept. of Comp. Sci.

riley@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Daniel S. Riley) (12/31/89)

In article <7200176@m.cs.uiuc.edu> schwager@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>On files that appear to be compiled with Aztec C, Ares (of Arp fame)
>complains about checksum errors in the file.  Also, some (DMake, for
>instance) will guru my machine regularly if I try to make it resident.  Am
>I hosed, or is Ares?  Can anyone explain this behavior?

Ares is not designed to make arbitrary programs resident.  It only works
for "pure" programs--programs that don't modify global or static data.
If you make a program resident that does modify its data segment, you
will get complaints about checksum errors and you are risking crashing
your machine.  Generally, programs have to be very carefully written
in order to be pure, although Lattice 5.0 does come with startup-code
and special smarts in the linker that makes creating pure programs
very easy.

-Dan Riley (riley@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu, cornell!batcomputer!riley)
-Wilson Lab, Cornell University

caw@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Chris Wichura) (12/31/89)

This is a problem that you will probably find with both Lattice and Manx
programs, both.  It has to do with the requirements of a resident program.
If a program was not specifically designed to be resident (does things  like
duplicating its data hunk on each invocation, etc) then ARes will complain
about a checksum error the next time you try and use it because the program
has altered memory in its data storage area.

Now, as to why it should cause your system to GURU I haven't the foggiest.
I have never had such a problem.  All the commands I use ARes on, though,
are written to be re-entrant and if I get a checcksum error then I know the
program has been condemed to being loaded from disk and use ARes' remove
command to get rid of it.

--
Christopher A. Wichura
u12401 @ uicvm.uic.edu  (my home account)

schwager@m.cs.uiuc.edu (01/01/90)

> Ares is not designed to make arbitrary programs resident.  It only works
> for "pure" programs--programs that don't modify global or static data.
> If you make a program resident that does modify its data segment, you
> will get complaints about checksum errors and you are risking crashing
> your machine.

Ooops... naturally!  I was thrown off because I didn't have these problems
with rez... but then, it was written by the Manx guy himself.  I'll use my
Manx programs with rez instead of Ares.  Thanks.
-Mike