[comp.sys.amiga] TeX History

riley@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Daniel S. Riley) (01/01/90)

In article <89364.133957UH2@PSUVM.BITNET> UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) writes:
>PS  No.  I don't got nuthin' to do with Radical Eye, the maker of AmigaTeX
>    (and NeXT TeX, too??).

Tomas Rokicki, author of AmigaTeX, was also one of the principal
authors of Web2c, the program used to generate the C version of TeX
run on most Unix machines.  I don't believe any of the standard TeX
distribution has a Radical Eye copyright (I seem to remember greping
the source recently looking for any), but the latest version of dvips
(one of the most commonly used dvi to postscript converters) does.

-Dan Riley (riley@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu, cornell!batcomputer!riley)
-Wilson Lab, Cornell University

koren@hpfelg.HP.COM (Steve Koren) (01/03/90)

> [owns excellence!]
> of others it is not.  It is a little slow (though I could live with

Well, I'd tend to go a bit farther than "a little slow".  I'd say,
"almost unbearibly slow".  It is fine for very small files, but I have
found that it can't really handle documents over 8 pages, especially
if you are a touch typist.

I have a ~ 100 page file stored in excellence!, and if I want to insert or
delete text at the beginning of that file, I can wait up to 2 minutes
before my characters appear!  Even after I got one of those CMI boards,
I can still wait a minutes or more after I press return and before I can
insert my text.  I'd love it if it was faster.

        - steve