[comp.sys.amiga] Need Undelete program

In <7054@nigel.udel.EDU>, A4422DAE%AWIUNI11.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Konrad Neuwirth) writes:
>THIS IS A PANICS MESSAGE!!!!!
>
>   I just destroyed some files on my harddisk which I really need
>(some of them are a beta package I am to test) and suddenly realized
>that I DO NOT HAVE ANY UNDELETE PROGRAM!!!!!!!! If it helps, it
>happened to me on a FFS formatted Hard disk.
>
>   Please, if you have such a thing (no, I don't want to use
>diskdoctor and don't have enough memory for running Disksalv on my
>42meg disk) please send it to me ASAP!!!!

Not sure what you mean about not having enough memory to run DiskSalv. You do
know that you have an ASK option in DiskSalv? You do know that you can recover
to (for example), a floppy, and that you can pause DiskSalv while you delete
unneeded files to make more room?

BTW, be sure not to write to that disk until you have recovered the files.

-larry

--
" All I ask of my body is that it carry around my head."
         - Thomas Alva Edison -

A4422DAE%AWIUNI11.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Konrad Neuwirth) (12/29/89)

THIS IS A PANICS MESSAGE!!!!!

   I just destroyed some files on my harddisk which I really need
(some of them are a beta package I am to test) and suddenly realized
that I DO NOT HAVE ANY UNDELETE PROGRAM!!!!!!!! If it helps, it
happened to me on a FFS formatted Hard disk.

   Please, if you have such a thing (no, I don't want to use
diskdoctor and don't have enough memory for running Disksalv on my
42meg disk) please send it to me ASAP!!!!

tnx
konrad

root@ccave.UUCP (Juergen Hermann) (12/31/89)

In article <7054@nigel.udel.EDU> A4422DAE%AWIUNI11.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Konrad Neuwirth) writes:
>diskdoctor and don't have enough memory for running Disksalv on my
>42meg disk) please send it to me ASAP!!!!

DiskSalv is always the best choice, and I think you just have to use the
START/STOP options when you don't have the memory. It works with my 15MB
partition and 1 MB of FREE memory (1.5MB total), so divide the key range
in 3 or more parts and call DiskSalv for each part (or until you got all
the files).

I haven't tested it (I don't have a large drive :-( ), but it should work.

--
   //  Juergen Hermann		root@ccave.UUCP
 \X/   75 Karlsruhe 1, FRG	Fido: 2:241/2.1212@FidoNet

GORRIEDE@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Robert Gorrie) (01/03/90)

You can use disksalv to recover your deleted files.  Just don't write to the
drive until you do.  I often use DiskSalv to recover files on my 155Meg
Micropolis (connected to my 1.5Meg A1000).

If you read the manual for DiskSalv, it will help a lot.  Here is an example
that I would use on my drive:

disksalv from dh0: to ram: quick start 140000 stop 170000 ask

My drive has one big partition with about 300000 blocks.  On this FFS partition
the ROOT area of the disk contains all of the directory blocks.  This is the
area 140000 to 170000.  On your 42 meg drive, if you have a 42 meg partition,
this would be about 30000 to 50000 on an FFS partiton.

Then Disksalv creates a directory block listing.  Then it prompts you to
undelete directories.  Answer Yes to the directories that your files that
you want to recover are in.  Answer NO if your files were not in the subdir
that DiskSalv propts you with.  Eventualy you will reach the subdir that
your files were in, and you can un-delete them.  The recovered files will
be recovered to RAM:.  Then when you have got them, you can press cntrl-c
to quit disksalv.

I wish DiskSalv could do this process of hunting out the DirBlocks automaticaly
instead of having people search for them by trial and error.

|Dennis Gorrie                 'Sudden de-compression Sucks!'           |
|GORRIEDE AT UREGINA1.BITNET                                            |

in article <9001030607.AA27938@jade.berkeley.edu>, GORRIEDE@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Robert Gorrie) says:

> disksalv from dh0: to ram: quick start 140000 stop 170000 ask

> My drive has one big partition with about 300000 blocks.  On this FFS partition
> the ROOT area of the disk contains all of the directory blocks.  This is the
> area 140000 to 170000.  On your 42 meg drive, if you have a 42 meg partition,
> this would be about 30000 to 50000 on an FFS partiton.

The latest DiskSalv (V1.42) extends this a bit.  The START and STOP options now
take percentages as well as absolute block numbers or the word ROOT.  So, for
example, you might say something like:

DiskSalv from dh0: to ram: quick start 40% stop 60% ask

to get the center of the disk, where you'll find most directory and file headers.
As mentioned before, this version also knows the FILE keyword.  You could type:

DiskSalv from dh0: to ram: quick start 40% stop 60% ask file #?.(c|h)

for example, to only scan for C language files on the disk.  The file option
only restricts file matching, not directory matching.  I put this in to make
DiskSalv more useful for undeleting things, since I found myself using it for
that.  It's still not really an undelete program, as undeleting with it is more
brute force than a good undelete program should be.  I plan to have a good
undelete option in the next major release, but that probably won't be ready
until some time in the Spring.

> I wish DiskSalv could do this process of hunting out the DirBlocks automaticaly
> instead of having people search for them by trial and error.

I'm thinking about what to do with a directory pattern.  With the file pattern,
it's really easy, and it also restricts the scan and the memory required, since
I can accept or reject a file based on the name alone.  With a directory search,
I would either have to accept every directory and then filter out the ones that
don't match when the scan is over, or reject those that don't match, then go
back and recursively get all the parents of those matched directories.  I'll
probably have such a feature in version 2, whenever it gets done.

> |Dennis Gorrie                 'Sudden de-compression Sucks!'           |
--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
                    Too much of everything is just enough