[comp.sys.amiga] Microbotics Starboard Stardrive

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (01/03/90)

timothy>    Can anyone out there give me some information on the Microbotics
timothy> Starboard Stardrive SCSI module (the board that plugs into the Starboard)?

Do you have anything specific in mind?  Here's the lowdown on the
StarDrive, from one owner's point of view:

	* inexpensive

	* non-DMA, still pretty fast nonetheless, certainly enough to
	  be acceptable (I got diskperf reads of 190K/sec on a 32K
	  buffer using a 68010)

	* has built-in battery backed clock.  Not compatible with the
	  Commodore clocks on the 500/2000, though Microbotics
	  supplies programs to adjust the clock and set the system
	  time.

	* very solid software driver -- I have never had problems with
	  it.

	* mediocre to poor support software (disk formatter, etc).

	* exceptionally poor documentation.  They probably still
	  haven't revised the support software and docs for the
	  Fast FileSystem, though I'm not sure.  You have to know the
	  relevant parameters (#cylinders, etc) for your drive.  Best
	  bet is to contact the drive manufacturer.

	* has a Mac-style 25-pin SCSI plug -- any Macintosh-compatible
	  SCSI disk will do, or if you are adventurous you can build a
	  25-50 pin SCSI cable for your Rodime drive.  It comes with
	  no cable.

	  I have instructions for building the 25-50 pin cable at
	  home.  They were sent to me by several kind members of
	  comp.sys.amiga. Unfortunately, they exist only in hardcopy
	  and not in electronic form, so it will take me a little
	  while to type them back in.

timothy> now I am looking for a CHEAP controller (needs not be fast) so
timothy> I figure the Stardrive is the best route since I already have the Starboard.

If you want cheap and you already have the Starboard, the StarDrive is
definitely the way to go.

timothy> Is the documentation adequate?

Like I said above, the documentation is horrible, but I managed to get
mine set up with the bevy of information I culled off the net.

timothy> How about a mount list - or whatever the StarDrive expects?

You can (and should) use a standard mountlist entry with the
StarDrive.  Microbotics supplies this bogus "DHMount" program that
supposedly mounts the drive for you, but 1) it's non-standard, 2) it
doesn't support all of the keywords that a mountlist entry can use, 3)
you won't be able to use the Fast FileSystem.  Naturally, the
documentation doesn't describe how to make a Mountlist entry for the
StarDrive.  I can supply you with my Mountlist entries if you like --
that way, you can just plug in the parameters for your Rodime drive.

timothy> Any info would be appriciated.

Hope this helps.  If you need more detalied info, feel free to send me
email.

			--M
--
__
\/  Michael Portuesi	Silicon Graphics Computer Systems, Inc.

cullip@unc.cs.unc.edu (Timothy Cullip) (01/03/90)

   Can anyone out there give me some information on the Microbotics
Starboard Stardrive SCSI module (the board that plugs into the Starboard)?

I have just acquired an old 20 Meg Rodime 652 SCSI drive, power supply
and case; now I am looking for a CHEAP controller (needs not be fast) so
I figure the Stardrive is the best route since I already have the Starboard.
(don't laugh, the drive, supply, StarDrive module should total $250).

Does this board expect a 50 pin SCSI cable or a MAC like 25 pin cable.
If its a 25 pin connector, where can I get a 25 pin to 50 cable or
adapter since the Rodime has a 50 pin connector on it.
Does it come with any cable?
Is the documentation adequate?

The Rodime came with no documentation at all - does anyone out there
have a discription of the drive (model 652) - things like number
of cylinders, tracks, access time (I thinks its in the neighborhood of
65 to 80 ms), etc.  Any suggested interleave factor?
How about a mount list - or whatever the StarDrive expects?

Any info would be appriciated.

Finally, does anyone have a used StarDrive they want to sell before
I go out and buy a new one?

   Tim Cullip
   email : cullip@cs.unc.edu

riley@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Daniel S. Riley) (01/04/90)

In article <PORTUESI.90Jan3105636@tweezers.esd.sgi.com> portuesi@sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes:
>Do you have anything specific in mind?  Here's the lowdown on the
>StarDrive, from one owner's point of view:

[stuff I basically agree with deleted]

>	* exceptionally poor documentation.  They probably still
>	  haven't revised the support software and docs for the
>	  Fast FileSystem, though I'm not sure.  You have to know the
>	  relevant parameters (#cylinders, etc) for your drive.  Best
>	  bet is to contact the drive manufacturer.

There is a software update to the StarDrive software, which includes
instructions on setting up a Mountlist entry for the Stardrive, a
utility which queries an attached SCSI drive so you can find out what
the drive thinks its relevant parameters are, support for Adaptec
controllers, an expanded list of supported drives, a decent explanation
of interleave, and some improvements to the device driver.

Unfortunately, the only place I have seen it is in the listings area of
the Microbotics support conference on BIX, and it can't be redistributed
(the documentation is very clear on this point).  Presumably, if you call
them up and ask nicely, they will send you a copy.  I do wish they would
send out some sort of notification of updates.

>	* has a Mac-style 25-pin SCSI plug -- any Macintosh-compatible
>	  SCSI disk will do, or if you are adventurous you can build a
>	  25-50 pin SCSI cable for your Rodime drive.  It comes with
>	  no cable.

Or you can buy a 25-50 pin SCSI cable.  I picked mine up at the campus
bookstore.

-Dan Riley (riley@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu, cornell!batcomputer!riley)
-Wilson Lab, Cornell University

tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) (01/05/90)

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) replies:

>timothy>    Can anyone out there give me some information on the Microbotics
>timothy> Starboard Stardrive SCSI module (the board that plugs into the Starboard)?

>	* has a Mac-style 25-pin SCSI plug -- any Macintosh-compatible
>	  SCSI disk will do, or if you are adventurous you can build a
>	  25-50 pin SCSI cable for your Rodime drive.  It comes with
>	  no cable.
But the instructions that came with the one I got about a year ago
included schematic and comments about the cable.  I built the cable
to their spec and have had no trouble with it.  I believe similar
cables are available commercially, since Macs have a very similar
problem.

>timothy> now I am looking for a CHEAP controller (needs not be fast) so
>timothy> I figure the Stardrive is the best route since I already have the Starboard.
>
>If you want cheap and you already have the Starboard, the StarDrive is
>definitely the way to go.

I concur.  I've been pleased with mine.

>timothy> Is the documentation adequate?
>
>Like I said above, the documentation is horrible, but I managed to get
>mine set up with the bevy of information I culled off the net.

I found the docs to be adequate, barely.  The net info was helpful
but not necessary.

>timothy> How about a mount list - or whatever the StarDrive expects?
>
>You can (and should) use a standard mountlist entry with the
>StarDrive.  Microbotics supplies this bogus "DHMount" program that
>supposedly mounts the drive for you, but 1) it's non-standard, 2) it
>doesn't support all of the keywords that a mountlist entry can use, 3)
>you won't be able to use the Fast FileSystem.  Naturally, the
>documentation doesn't describe how to make a Mountlist entry for the
>StarDrive.  I can supply you with my Mountlist entries if you like --
>that way, you can just plug in the parameters for your Rodime drive.

I don't recall just what my docs said, but it, coupled with the
Commodore info on Mountlist entries, was enough to bring it up.
(It seems like it was just the standard Commodore mountlist entries,
with the Stardrive driver called out, and, as noted, appropriate
entries for cylinders, sectors, tracks, whatever about the drive.)

>timothy> Any info would be appriciated.
>
>Hope this helps.  If you need more detalied info, feel free to send me
>email.

One additional comment:  I wish they would provide more (any?? :-) info
on directly accessing the SCSI command set, so you could write your
own drivers for other SCSI devices.  On a related note, there are
some drives that the thing seems like it should work with but doesn't.
One fellow around here had trouble with a Seagate ST-296N that he
finally solved with some custom software.  I have the feeling that
the driver wasn't written with all the corner cases in mind, and
now that drive capacity is increasing, the corners are explored more
often...

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) (01/05/90)

>I have just acquired an old 20 Meg Rodime 652 SCSI drive, power supply

A >GREAT< drive , have had mine for 3 years and never ONE error.

>The Rodime came with no documentation at all - does anyone out there
>have a discription of the drive (model 652) - things like number
>of cylinders, tracks, access time (I thinks its in the neighborhood of
>65 to 80 ms), etc.  Any suggested interleave factor?
>How about a mount list - or whatever the StarDrive expects?

Here is my mounlist (two 10 mg partitions in use) (C.LTD SCSI card)

DH0:       Device = SCSI.device
           Unit   = 1
           Flags  = 17424434
           Surfaces  = 4
           BlocksPerTrack = 17
           Reserved = 1
           Interleave = 0
           LowCyl = 0  ;  HighCyl = 296
           Buffers = 5
           BufMemType = 0
      GlobVec = 1
      FileSystem=l:FastFileSystem
#

DH1:       Device = SCSI.device
           Unit   = 1
           Flags  = 17424434
           Surfaces  = 4
           BlocksPerTrack = 17
           Reserved = 1
           Interleave = 0
           LowCyl = 297  ;  HighCyl = 592
           Buffers = 5
           BufMemType = 0
           GlobVec = 1
           FileSystem=l:FastFileSystem
#

"Perfume and leather baby , you and me together baby,
  what good is living in paradise, if you don't let yourself once or twice."
 -Tiffany

 Kenneth J. Jamieson ---- THE BOSS at Xanadu Enterprises Inc.
      UUCP: tron1@tronsbox.UUCP  BEST PATH ---> uunet!tronsbox!tron1
      Sysop, Romantic Encounters BBS - (201)759-8450 / (201)759-8568