[comp.sys.amiga] No CRs in BASIC??

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (01/05/90)

Basic seems to have developed an odd anomaly --- it won't print CRs any more.
Whenever it was supposed to do a CR, I just get a little char-sized rectangle
and it then just keeps printing.  This has survived a warm reboot!  Has anyone
seen this kind of thing before.  Any clue what it is and how to make it get
better?  It is NOT affecting shells, nor is it affecting any of my COMM
programs [both vt100 and OnLine! work fine].

  Thanks
     /Bernie\

trossi@tukki.jyu.fi (Timo Rossi) (01/05/90)

In article <50450@bbn.COM> cosell@BBN.COM (Bernie Cosell) writes:
>Basic seems to have developed an odd anomaly --- it won't print CRs any more.
>Whenever it was supposed to do a CR, I just get a little char-sized rectangle
>and it then just keeps printing.  This has survived a warm reboot!  Has anyone
>seen this kind of thing before.  Any clue what it is and how to make it get
>better?  It is NOT affecting shells, nor is it affecting any of my COMM
>programs [both vt100 and OnLine! work fine].

I have had the same problem a long time ago. It seems that if the memory
location zero contains a nonzero value, Basic doesn't print linefeeds.
And that survives reboots, because exec does not clear location zero with
normal warm boots (but exec does reset location zero if an alert occurs).

Some programs may have bugs that cause them to write to low memory (especially
location zero). The program 'MemWatch' by John Toebes can be used to
find what software doest that.

-- Timo Rossi --   trossi@jyu.fi

murphy@pur-phy (William J. Murphy) (01/05/90)

In article <50450@bbn.COM> cosell@BBN.COM (Bernie Cosell) writes:
>Basic seems to have developed an odd anomaly --- it won't print CRs any more.

Funny, I thought that an odd anomaly developed Basic. 8^$

Sorry I don't have any clue to your problem Bernie.

--
 Bill Murphy        murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu