[comp.sys.amiga] Manx gives 'solid' ship date!

plav@cup.portal.com (Rick M Plavnicky) (01/03/90)

I figure that there are probably others that are awaiting the
much-talked-about Manx 5.0 compiler as anxiously as I am.

According to Mona at Manx this morning (1-2), the wait is just about
over.  She said that their 'committed' ship date will be January 9th.
Orders currently on file will be satisfied on a first-come,
first-served basis.

When can you expect yours?  Well, I ordered on 12/1/89 and, Mona says,
there are about 90 orders in front of me.  She figures they'll get
about 30 packages out the door per day.

On a more cynical note, and more in line with the luck *I* have with
these things, some catastrophe will probably befall whatever conveys
that shipment of manuals from the Baltimore printer to New Jersey, and
we'll all be back to the waiting game....  Or, Fed Ex will lose the
first package of the new year - mine.  In short, I'll believe it when
I've got it running on *my* machine!

Of course, I hope that nothing goes wrong.

For order and status info, try calling 1-800-221-0440.

I hope that someone finds this news helpful.

Disclaimer:  I don't work for Manx, but I use their products.

Rick Plavnicky
{...}!sun!cup.portal.com!plav
"I've got a bunch of bananas, and a bottle of bleach..."

crash@boake2 (01/04/90)

True, true, true!  I called them this morning (Jan 4) and ordered my
Professional System (is that the one with the library source?).  The
price was $299.  The low-end version was $199.  (I had considered buying
the current 3.6a version and paying the $75 upgrade fee, but the
Professional 3.6a had a local price tag of $239.  Well, I tried!)

Something I shouldn't tell you...

The woman I spoke to at the 800 number (Mona, isn't it?) told me that
the Source Level Debugger didn't come with it.  I told her, "Awww, and
that's one of the reasons I wanted the new 5.0 package!"  Sha asked me
if I would care to hold while she checked something out.  When she came
back on the line, she said I could have it for nothing!!  "Is this
great, or what?!"

Anyway, I want you all to noticed that I've taken my name out the From
line just in case Manx Systems is on USEnet ;-)

They start shipping on Tuesday (Jan 9).  I asked them to hold mine until
Jan 12, Friday, and then send it next day FedEx for arrival on Monday.
(I'm going out of town and won't be back until Saturday night.)  She
took the information, but I don't know if it'll work.  I have a paranoid
fear of giving the least bit complicated message to a receptionist...

-----
#include <std/disclaimer.h>			/* Is this needed? */
No Name Please!

dlarson@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dale Larson) (01/05/90)

plav@cup.portal.com (Rick M Plavnicky) writes:
>According to Mona at Manx this morning (1-2), the wait is just about
>over.  She said that their 'committed' ship date will be January 9th.
>Orders currently on file will be satisfied on a first-come,
>first-served basis.

Before I became a beta tester (mid '89), I called Mona every other month
or so to try to find out when it would be available.  I realize she only
passes on what she is told (or what she hears), but I got real sick of
those "next week" stories.  The person in charge of beta testing 4.9
(Mike Spille) has told me about delays caused by a family emergency of
his and by the printer of the manual changing deadlines.  He has not told
me when he expects to ship.  If I hear anything that definate, I will
certainly let the net know.

BTW, an integrated environment and ARexx interface were added in the 4.9c
beta (late november).
--
	    A lack of prior planning on the part of any programmer
		       always constitutes an emergency.

           Digital Teddy Bear      dlarson@blake.acs.washington.edu

In <2537@netxcom.DHL.COM>, ewiles@netxdev.DHL.COM (Edwin Wiles) writes:

>If I'd been thinking, I'd have turned on my capture buffer.  Sorry!  If I get
>into another of these conferences, you may be assured that I will do so.

The full transcript of the Manx conference should be available within a week or
so of the conference itself, in the LIB area, as are all the formal
conferences.

-larry

--
"Cavett Emptor - Let the talk show host beware!" - Evan Marcus

ewiles@netxdev.DHL.COM (Edwin Wiles) (01/06/90)

dlarson@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dale Larson) writes:
>...but I got real sick of those "next week" stories.  The person in charge
>of beta testing 4.9 (Mike Spille) has told me about delays...
> ...[personal reasons]...[printer changes]...
>...He has not told me when he expects to ship.  If I hear anything that
>definate, I will certainly let the net know.

Mike Spille was 'at' an interactive conference on Compu$erve on Jan 3rd.
He stated that the printer's delivery date was Jan 9th, and that they would
begin shipping that week.  The people who have prepaid for the upgrade will
be the first to recieve it, in order that the payments were received.

He also stated that they had learned a LOT durring the whole mess of getting
5.0 out the door, and that the would be holding firm to a 6 month timeframe
for getting the next release after 5.0 out the door.

Other points that I remember (perhaps incorrectly):

- No retail price has been set for people who do not yet have the compiler.

- The Manx 5.0 compiler runs MUCH faster than Lattice 5.04, but the code they
  generate is roughly comparable w.r.t. size and speed.

- 32 bit integers are now the default, instead of 16.  Yes, you will be able
  to force 16 bit integers via an option.

    (Having had to deal with this sort of change before, I became concerned.
     When SCO shifted to 32 bit integers, all the structure packing changed
     to 4 byte boundaries, instead of 2 byte boundaries.  If I understood Mike
     correctly, there will be a 'pragma' directive which allows you to specify
     the boundaries that the structure is to be padded on.  [Same as SCO.]
     This becomes VERY important for both backwards compatability with existing
     data, and for writing conversion utitilies.)

If I'd been thinking, I'd have turned on my capture buffer.  Sorry!  If I get
into another of these conferences, you may be assured that I will do so.
	"Who?... Me?... WHAT opinions?!?"	| Edwin Wiles
    Schedule: (n.) An ever changing nightmare.	| NetExpress, Inc.
  ...!{hadron,sundc,pyrdc,uunet}!netxcom!ewiles	| 1953 Gallows Rd. Suite 300
       ewiles@iad-nxe.global-mis.DHL.COM	| Vienna, VA 22182

phorgan@cup.portal.com (Patrick John Horgan) (01/06/90)

I read a note from Mike Spille on the Manx bulletin board last night
 and he says an announcement is coming soon, but not yet:)  He'll
post it on their board:)  (201)542-2793

Patrick Horgan                  phorgan@cup.portal.com