[comp.sys.amiga] Vocabulary expansion

johnboyd@ocdis01.af.mil (John Boyd) (01/01/90)

OK, I'll bite; what's a guru?  And yes, I'm new to the Amiga.

                     Thanx,
johnboyd@ocdis01.af.mil                    72341.1707@compuserve.com
 "Remember, just because you're paranoid doesn't necessarily mean there's
  not someone out to get you" -Gallagher

  -The opinions expressed here are my own. Did I REALLY say that?.

king@cell.mot.COM (Steven King) (01/01/90)

In article <7156@nigel.udel.EDU> johnboyd@ocdis01.af.mil (John Boyd) writes:
>OK, I'll bite; what's a guru?  And yes, I'm new to the Amiga.

A guru is:
  1) A Hindu spiritual guide or teacher.
  2) Common slang amongst computer folk for a very knowledgable person (ie.,
     a Unix guru).
  3) A system error specific to the Amiga, similar to idiot lights on a car.
     ("Look dear, the CHECK ENGINE light just came on.  That explains the
     smoke pouring out from under the hood!")

The "Guru Meditation" error on the Amiga also gives you a code number that
tells you where in memory things went wrong and why.  There's an explanation
of these floating around on the net somewhere; wait for the monthly "new users"
posting.  It's either in there or that posting tells you where you can get
it.

There's a story behind calling system errors "Guru Meditations".  Look around
for the article about the origins of the Amiga, or I'll email it to you.

--
---------------------------------------------------+---------------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you must be    | Steve King  (708) 991-8056

hugh@kink.UUCP (Hugh D. Gamble @ Phaedra V's Amiga 2500) (01/03/90)

In message <7156@nigel.udel.EDU> johnboyd@ocdis01.af.mil (John Boyd)
writes:

>OK, I'll bite; what's a guru?  And yes, I'm new to the Amiga.

I propose a contest.  What's the record length of time anyone used an
Amiga before finding out what a guru is?  email me and I'll post the
winner(s).

--
# Hugh D. Gamble (416) 267-6159  No Disclaimers.
# hugh@kink.UUCP

jonka@microsoft.UUCP (Jon KAGLE) (01/04/90)

In article <7156@nigel.udel.EDU> johnboyd@ocdis01.af.mil (John Boyd) writes:
>OK, I'll bite; what's a guru?  And yes, I'm new to the Amiga.
>
>                     Thanx,

Yes, with your support, Amiga users may never have to know what a guru is.  ;-)

       -Jonathan

JKT100@PSUVM.BITNET (JKT) (01/07/90)

>There's a story behind calling system errors "Guru Meditations".  Look around
>for the article about the origins of the Amiga, or I'll email it to you.

I looked around - couldn't find it.  I tried to e-mail you - it bounced.
If you read this Steve, could you send article to me?  Thanks!

                                                              Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (814) 862-8630  ||   Looking for Amigas in all        ||
|| 600 E. Pollock Rd., #5705    ||   the wrong places......           ||
||   jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  or  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1             ||
||      or  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu                   QLink: KurtTappe   ||