[comp.sys.amiga] Falcon on an IMpact A500 HD.

robin@sabre.uucp (Robin D. Wilson/1000000) (01/03/90)

I just got an Impact A500 20M hard disk for Christmas (the new one with the
space for 4 meg. of SIMMs).  I tried to put Falcon v1.1 (using the supplied
HD install program) on the hard disk, but now when I start it up, it doesn't
live up to the floppy based version.  Problems I have had:

	1) The sound is way off.  Instead of having engine noise like
	before, I now get silence.  No missles, but every now and then
	I can hear the engines when I fire a missle, or change the HUD.

	2) The screen is screwy.  Right above the controls, and right below
	the horizon (or wherever the nose of the plane is) there is a band
	about 4-6 pixels wide going all the way across the screen (left-to-
	right).  Some of the instruments don't show up all of the time,
	leaving holes in the instrument panel.

Other than that, it loads much faster 8-).

My first guess was that with the hard drive on the system, I was running low
on memory; but, I have 1 meg. and when I start up falcon there is somewhere
more than 700K available.  And it used to run better than this in my 512K
set-up.  My second guess was that I moved the falcon drawer out of the root
directory on the HD.  (I put it into my Games dir.)  If this is the problem,
I guess I'll live with it, but I won't like it.

|The views expressed herein, are the sole responsibility of the typist at hand|
|USNail:                               UUCP:                                  |
|2323 Wells Branch Pkwy., #G107        cs.utexas.edu!romp!ibmchs!auschs\      |
|Austin, TX  78728                     !sabre.austin.ibm.com!robin            |
|Home: (512)251-6889                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^<-MUST BE INCLUDED|

king@cell.mot.COM (Steven King) (01/03/90)

In article <2898@d75.UUCP> robin@reed.UUCP (Robin D. Wilson/1000000) writes:

>I just got an Impact A500 20M hard disk for Christmas (the new one with the
>space for 4 meg. of SIMMs).  I tried to put Falcon v1.1 (using the supplied
>HD install program) on the hard disk, but now when I start it up, it doesn't
>live up to the floppy based version.  Problems I have had:
>
>[descriptions omitted]
>
>[...]  My second guess was that I moved the falcon drawer out of the root
>directory on the HD.  (I put it into my Games dir.)  If this is the problem,
>I guess I'll live with it, but I won't like it.

THIS IS ONLY A GUESS as I don't own Falcon, but I've encountered similar
problems with my hard drive.  Let me guess, the installation software for
Falcon created the directory (drawer) on the hard disk for you, no?  It
probably also dropped a line into your Startup-Sequence like:

        assign Falcon: SYS:Falcon

If you later moved the stuff to a new directory, it probably can't find the
support files it needs.  Try changing the assign to point at your new
directory:

        assign Falcon: DH2:Games/Falcon

Hope this works for you!

--
---------------------------------------------------+---------------------------
It's only impossible until it's done.              | Steve King  (708) 991-8056
                                                   |   ...uunet!motcid!king
                                                   |   ...ddsw1!palnet!stevek

krag@cup.portal.com (Kevin Ray Grotjohn) (01/04/90)

The problem is chip ram.  You don't have enough with workbench loaded and
everything else.  Create a floppy that mounts your hard drive, does the
assigns and runs from the hard drive.  Shoul load from a bare s-s like this.
I occasionly see the horizontal garbage on the screen as well.

schur@venera.isi.edu (Sean Schur) (01/07/90)

In article <2898@d75.UUCP> robin@reed.UUCP (Robin D. Wilson/1000000) writes:

>I just got an Impact A500 20M hard disk for Christmas (the new one with the
>space for 4 meg. of SIMMs).  I tried to put Falcon v1.1 (using the supplied
>HD install program) on the hard disk, but now when I start it up, it doesn't
>live up to the floppy based version.  Problems I have had:
>
>	1) The sound is way off.  Instead of having engine noise like
>	before, I now get silence.  No missles, but every now and then
>	I can hear the engines when I fire a missle, or change the HUD.
>
>	2) The screen is screwy.  Right above the controls, and right below
>	the horizon (or wherever the nose of the plane is) there is a band
>	about 4-6 pixels wide going all the way across the screen (left-to-
>	right).  Some of the instruments don't show up all of the time,
>	leaving holes in the instrument panel.
>
>Other than that, it loads much faster 8-).
>
>My first guess was that with the hard drive on the system, I was running low
>on memory; but, I have 1 meg. and when I start up falcon there is somewhere
>more than 700K available.  And it used to run better than this in my 512K
>set-up.  My second guess was that I moved the falcon drawer out of the root
>directory on the HD.  (I put it into my Games dir.)  If this is the problem,
>I guess I'll live with it, but I won't like it.

You have two problems here. First of all, if you want it in a different
directory you should follow the enclosed instructions, by typing in the
CLI a command something like "execute Falcon_1.1:install /mydirectory"
it will install it in the right directory. The second problem is one I spoke
to the company itself about. The screen will always come up screwy if you
start the program by clicking on the icon. It will run properly if you run
it from the CLI. cd to the proper directory and type "falcon". It will work
fine. They know about the problem but are still working on why it happens.
Good luck

- Sean Schur

N5317.U0@legion.fidonet.org (N5317 U0) (01/07/90)

WWIVnet: Ratt Sass Productions [503-221-0726] - Node 5317
Name: schur@venera.isi.edu

In article <2898@d75.UUCP> robin@reed.UUCP (Robin D. Wilson/1000000) writes:

>I just got an Impact A500 20M hard disk for Christmas (the new one with the
>space for 4 meg. of SIMMs).  I tried to put Falcon v1.1 (using the supplied
>HD install program) on the hard disk, but now when I start it up, it doesn't
>live up to the floppy based version.  Problems I have had:
>
>1) The sound is way off.  Instead of having engine noise like
>before, I now get silence.  No missles, but every now and then
>I can hear the engines when I fire a missle, or change the HUD.
>
>2) The screen is screwy.  Right above the controls, and right below
>the horizon (or wherever the nose of the plane is) there is a band
>about 4-6 pixels wide going all the way across the screen (left-to-
>right).  Some of the instruments don't show up all of the time,
>leaving holes in the instrument panel.
>
>Other than that, it loads much faster 8-).
>
>My first guess was that with the hard drive on the system, I was running low
>on memory; but, I have 1 meg. and when I start up falcon there is somewhere
>more than 700K available.  And it used to run better than this in my 512K
>set-up.  My second guess was that I moved the falcon drawer out of the root
>directory on the HD.  (I put it into my Games dir.)  If this is the problem,
>I guess I'll live with it, but I won't like it.

You have two problems here. First of all, if you want it in a different
directory you should follow the enclosed instructions, by typing in the
CLI a command something like "execute Falcon_1.1:install /mydirectory"
it will install it in the right directory. The second problem is one I spoke
to the company itself about. The screen will always come up screwy if you
start the program by clicking on the icon. It will run properly if you run
it from the CLI. cd to the proper directory and type "falcon". It will work
fine. They know about the problem but are still working on why it happens.
Good luck

- Sean Schur

---
Gated By: Ratt Sass Productions - Temporary Gateway!
--
Legion EchoBarf Cafe/Pet Cemetary BBS
N5317 U0 - via FidoNet node 1:105/50