[comp.sys.amiga] What do the protection codes mean?

a186@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor) (12/30/89)

 Bernie,
   I went around the block on this one a while back. The mnemonic for
 today is CHSPARWED. ;-)

   C - Comment
   H - Hidden
   S - Script
   P - Pure
   A - Archived
   R - Read
   W - Write
   E - Executable
   D - Deletable

   Does anybody want to add some more? Does Unix add more?
   Don't know about your Icon questions. Have you got .info & disk.info
 on the HD?
   <-Harvey

  "If a telephone pole excites me some day,
                I'll have a relationship with a telephone pole.
   If I don't have sexual intercourse with a beaver right now,
                it's because I wasn't able to catch him."
                                        -Jean-Claude Lauzon
      Harvey Taylor      Meta Media Productions
       uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Harvey_Taylor
               a186@mindlink.UUCP

riley@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Daniel S. Riley) (01/01/90)

>   Don't know about your Icon questions. Have you got .info & disk.info
> on the HD?

[The original message seems to have expired on our system, which is why
I'm replying to this instead of the original...]

In the current version of AmigaDOS, respect for the file protection bits
is fairly spotty.  Generally, OFS seems to ignore the protection bits
most of the time, while FFS obeys them some of the time.  In particular,
WorkBench will not display icons on an FFS disk if it does not have read
(R) permission to the *.info files, but it ignores the read bit on OFS
disks.  This is why the icons didn't appear on the hard disk but did appear
on the floppy.

-Dan Riley (riley@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu, cornell!batcomputer!riley)
-Wilson Lab, Cornell University

jwright@cs.iastate.edu (Jim Wright) (01/04/90)

a186@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor) writes:
|    C - Comment
|    H - Hidden
|    S - Script
|    P - Pure
|    A - Archived
|    R - Read
|    W - Write
|    E - Executable
|    D - Deletable

That "archived" bit has always bothered me.  Does it mean that the file
has changed and should be added to the next archive (backup), or that
the file has already been archived and no changes have been made since
then?  How about a less ambiguous designation, such as "touched"?  All
the other bits have fairly straightforward on/off, yes/no interpretations.

Another stinker is warp.  "WARP READ".  Are you reading an archive to
uncompress it to disk, or reading a disk to create an archive?  A little
forethought goes a long way.

--
Jim Wright
jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu

peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) (01/05/90)

In article <270@dino.cs.iastate.edu> jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Jim Wright) writes:
>a186@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor) writes:
>|    C - Comment
>|    H - Hidden
>|    S - Script
>|    P - Pure
>|    A - Archived
>|    R - Read
>|    W - Write
>|    E - Executable
>|    D - Deletable
>
>That "archived" bit has always bothered me.  Does it mean that the file
>has changed and should be added to the next archive (backup), or that
>the file has already been archived and no changes have been made since
>then?  How about a less ambiguous designation, such as "touched"?  All
>the other bits have fairly straightforward on/off, yes/no interpretations.

It is less ambiguous than you claim.  The bit is "archived", so if set, it
means "Yes this file is archived".  Actually, "touched" would be the
reverse of the sense of the "archived" bit.

Backup utilities generally set the archived bit as a file is backed up.
DOS clears the bit when the file is modified.

By the way, the "C" (Comment) protection bit is not supported by Commodore.
Perhaps somebody's "c:list" replacement shows a C if the file has a comment.

The "H" bit is defined but not used.  I have trouble finding a reference
to "Hidden" anywhere.

>--
>Jim Wright
>jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu

--
     Peter Cherna, Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
     {uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!peter    peter@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com

fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) (01/05/90)

From article <270@dino.cs.iastate.edu>, by jwright@cs.iastate.edu (Jim Wright):
> That "archived" bit has always bothered me.  Does it mean that the file
> has changed and should be added to the next archive (backup), or that
> the file has already been archived and no changes have been made since
> then?  How about a less ambiguous designation, such as "touched"?  All

"Archived" is just as unambiguous as "touched".  It means the file has been
archived and not changed since then.  As soon as a file is touched (opened
for writing or updating) the "Archived" bit should be reset.  Of course, until
the OS actually supports those bits they don't mean anything at all.

--Fabbian Dufoe
  350 Ling-A-Mor Terrace South
  St. Petersburg, Florida  33705
  813-823-2350

UUCP: ...uunet!pdn!jc3b21!fgd3

andy@cbmvax.commodore.com (Andy Finkel) (01/05/90)

In article <824@jc3b21.UUCP> fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) writes:
>archived and not changed since then.  As soon as a file is touched (opened
>for writing or updating) the "Archived" bit should be reset.  Of course, until
>the OS actually supports those bits they don't mean anything at all.

The OS (both the fast file system and the old file system) have supported
the archive bit for a long time.  (since 1.2)

The fast file system supports the rw bits since 1.3

Both filesystems have always supported the delete bit.

			andy
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"When I was a little boy I wanted to be a fireman.  Now I am."

bleys@tronsbox.UUCP (Bill Cavanaugh) (01/07/90)

>The "H" bit is defined but not used.  I have trouble finding a reference
>to "Hidden" anywhere.

I have the Scrabble commercial program, and it's got a file with no name,
and with protection bits hspa.  Hmmm... hidden, script, AND pure??

uunet!tronsbox!bleys

"The perversity of the universe tends to a maximum"

                             Finagle's First Law