[comp.sys.amiga] Transactor Magazine - Down the Tubes ??

fc@lexicon.com (Frank Cunningham) (01/05/90)

In article <13586@s.ms.uky.edu> kherron@ms.uky.edu (Kenneth Herron) writes:
(with some editing)
> This is old data...
> Anyway, The box on the table of contents page lists:
> office number (416) 764-5273
This number is reported "not in service",

> fax number    (416) 764-9262
I don't do faxes.

> Order line    (800) 248-2719 x 911
This answering service no longer handles Transactor, and could not
give me their phone number since it was no longer in service. hmmm!

> see the additional phone # of (416) 764-5274
also "not in service"

and the address
> Transactor 501 Alden Road P.O. box 3250 markham Industrial Park
> Markham, Ontario L3R 9Z9
asking directory assistance for a phone for this address produces the
response that they've moved to Yonge St, in Thorn Hill,
and the 764-5273 number.
I believe Yonge St is a main drag in Toronto, and Thorn Hill is thus
a district, town, or suburb ?
So they moved and kept (temporarily) the old number.

You may draw your own conclusions.
--
-Frank Cunningham   smart: fc@lexicon.com	phone: (617) 891-6790
		    dumb: {husc6,linus,harvard,bbn}!spdcc!lexicon!fc

king@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca (Stephen King) (01/06/90)

In article <526@lexicon.com> fc@lexicon.com (Frank Cunningham) writes:
>response that they've moved to Yonge St, in Thorn Hill,
>and the 764-5273 number.

I just dialed it - no longer in service, although directory assistance told
me that that was the number for Transactor Publishing.

>I believe Yonge St is a main drag in Toronto, and Thorn Hill is thus
>a district, town, or suburb ?

Correct about Yonge Street - the longest street in the world (according to
Guiness). Thornhill is a community just north of the city.

>So they moved and kept (temporarily) the old number.
>
>You may draw your own conclusions.

Sure looks like they've gone down the tubes. <sigh>

shad04@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Dan Fandrich) (01/08/90)

Back in November, an editor for "Transactor for Amiga" left a message about
the delay in getting the magazine out which I (conveniently) saved.  It's
printed here in its entirety.

Date: 24 Nov 89 05:37:49 GMT

For those of you who have been wondering, Transactor for the Amiga has not gone
out of business. After an interminable delay caused by moving offices, a
corrupt subscriber database and staff downsizing, V3I1 was printed and sent
to distributors. However, it has not yet been sent to subscribers because of
said f****d database. Malcolm O'Brien has spent the last two weeks repairing
the database and we seem to have recovered everybody. We should be able to
generate the mailing labels tomorrow or Monday.

We are also (slowly) putting V3I2 together -- it's due to go to the printers
at the end of the first week of December. We will also be at the World of
Commodore show.

The downsizing of the staff left the editorial team intact. However, in
addition to trying to get a quality magazine out, us editors are now having
to take orders, talk to advertisers, issue reader response reports, et cetera,
ad nauseum. We're not happy campers.

Right now, we're concentrating on getting the Amiga mag out; the 8-bit mag
is temporarily on hold while we try to get our sh*t together. Those of you
who wish to reach us can mail to the old address or call (416) 764-5274 (this
number connects to an answering service). We're slowly getting through a very
large stack of messages and we'll do our best to return all calls.

All of our readers have been incredibly patient and we're grateful. You have
put up with a lot of inconvenience for the sake of the editorial quality of the
magazine. We editors too have put up with a lot of crap because we love our
Amigas and we love writing/editing about it. I however, have had enough. I will
only be staying with the mag long enough to get it back on its feet -- then
I'll be going freelance. The present publisher and I have had too many fights
about policy, too many differences we haven't been able to resolve (the slow-
ness of author payments was a biggie.)

In the meantime, I hope you will continue to support the magazine. I think you
will agree that, from a content point of view, we've done well. Malcolm and
Paul, the other two editors, will be staying with the mag.

As for me... anybody looking for a good technical writer/editor/typesetter? :)

Tim Grantham
Editor (for now)
Transactor for the Amiga

--