[comp.sys.amiga] Question 3: How's Commodore doing?

jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Jules Cisek) (12/18/89)

Hello once more,

   There was a little talk at a month or so ago about Microsoft's  plans
for  the  Amiga.  It  was  said  that if Commodore sells 100,000 Amiga's
before the end of the year, Microsoft will release much of its  PC  line
for  the Amy. I assume the Amiga ad campaign was designed to push toward
this end. Anyone know how Commodore is doing with the sales so far?

   As I see it, if Commodore fails, it will be a nail on the coffin  for
the  big  market  hopes.  This  is  important  to me, as I'm planning to
upgrade to the A2000 with the GVP A3001 next summer ($$$)...
--
Fight |     //             Julius A. Cisek   jac423,jules      |Don't
Like a|   \X/ ->crunch<-   SUNYA, NY USA     @leah.albany.edu  | Be a

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (12/19/89)

In article <2321@leah.Albany.Edu> jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Jules Cisek) writes:
>   There was a little talk at a month or so ago about Microsoft's  plans
>for  the  Amiga.
>   As I see it, if Commodore fails, it will be a nail on the coffin  for
>the  big  market  hopes.

Well, I keep hearing about hopes for Microsoft products for the Amiga, but
as far as I'm concerned, Microsoft can stay on other machines.

Witness AmigaBasic, QuickBasic, Microsoft 'C', & their utilities.
Pretty poor software to me. Maybe I just do things differently :^), but
any time I have to work with Microsoft products, I end up spending
enormous amounts of time getting around incompatibilites and bugs that
I just don't encounter anywhere else. It's simply like the incomparable
frustration of trying to work with misdesigned or broken mechanical
tools where one spends more time fixing the tool than working on the
project.

With the problems I encounter on a routine basis with their products, I
am really amazed they have the audacity to go commercial with them.

There, I feel better now. (Need examples? I have plenty of them)

Disclaimer: My views. Too bad it's not those of my employer.
Kent Polk - Southwest Research Institute - kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
        Motto : "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing"

jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Jules Cisek) (12/19/89)

In article <24733@swrinde.nde.swri.edu>, kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) writes:
> Well, I keep hearing about hopes for Microsoft products for the Amiga, but
> as far as I'm concerned, Microsoft can stay on other machines.
>
> Witness AmigaBasic, QuickBasic, Microsoft 'C', & their utilities.
> Pretty poor software to me. Maybe I just do things differently :^), but
> any time I have to work with Microsoft products, I end up spending
> enormous amounts of time getting around incompatibilites and bugs that
> I just don't encounter anywhere else.

It  doesn't  matter whether Microsoft software is any good. It will make
the Amiga look good if Microsoft ports its stuff over, tho... They are a
prestigious  company. It doesn't really matter to me directly. I'm happy
with the Amiga specific software anyway...
--

ejkst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) (12/31/89)

In article <24733@swrinde.nde.swri.edu> kent@swrinde.UUCP (Kent D. Polk) writes:
>Well, I keep hearing about hopes for Microsoft products for the Amiga, but
>as far as I'm concerned, Microsoft can stay on other machines.
>Witness AmigaBasic, QuickBasic, Microsoft 'C', & their utilities.

Hmmm.  I see what you mean, but I'd still love to see Excel or Word for
the Amiga.  Not holding my breath, but I'd like to see it.  They *are*
capable of writing some good software.

--
Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cis.unix.pitt.edu

gerry@pencilbox.uucp (Gerry Lachac) (01/03/90)

In article <21331@unix.cis.pitt.edu> ejkst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) writes:

>Hmmm.  I see what you mean, but I'd still love to see Excel or Word for
>the Amiga.  Not holding my breath, but I'd like to see it.  They *are*
>capable of writing some good software.

[ in regards to Microsoft ]

Actually, Microsoft has only developed 3 major products, MS-BASIC, a mouse,
and Excel.  Everything else was bought from other companies (yes, even
MS-DOS which was purchased from Seattle Computer Products.)

Microsoft is one of the largest maintainence/bug-fix houses around.  They
are a huge marketing company, much like Electronic Arts is becoming for
games.

SIDE NOTE:  (My soapbox)
	Obviously, I show no great love for Microsoft.  I mean, Bill Gates
recently announced that OS/2 is being re-written in 'C' to make it a
portable operating system.  He seemed to think this is such a novel idea
and it would change the world.

	He obviously hasn't seen UNIX yet :-)
uunet!dialogic!gerry   | "Even a dead plant turns  |	Dialogic Corporation
	OR	       |  over a new leaf 	   |	300 Littleton Rd
gerry@dialogic.UUCP    |  when the wind blows."	   |	Parsippany, NJ 07054

ehoogerbeets@rose.waterloo.edu (Edwin Hoogerbeets) (01/08/90)

In article <2321@leah.Albany.Edu> jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Jules Cisek) writes:
%   There was a little talk at a month or so ago about Microsoft's  plans
%for the  Amiga.  It  was  said  that if Commodore sells 100,000 Amiga's
%before the end of the year, Microsoft will release much of its  PC  line
%for the Amy.

Don't count on it this for a long time. For every Amiga, there are 30 to
40 PC's out there, many of which are owned by businesses with money for
things like software. Which market would you write for if you wanted to
make lots of money?

Commodore would have to sell a heck of a lot more than 100000 Amigas for
Bill to even think about getting into the Amiga market.

Edwin
ehoogerbeets@rose.waterloo.edu  or uunet!watmath!watrose!ehoogerbeets
edwin@watcsc.waterloo.edu       or uunet!watmath!watcsc!edwin

kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (01/08/90)

>Don't count on it this for a long time. For every Amiga, there are 30
>to 40 PC's out there, many of which are owned by businesses with

Bzzzt. Try 12 to 15. There are something like 15 or 16 million PC's
out there and a bit over a million Amigas.

>Commodore would have to sell a heck of a lot more than 100000 Amigas
>for Bill to even think about getting into the Amiga market.

I believe the deal was if Commodore could sell 100,000 Amiga units in
4q89, Microsoft would start porting stuff. This is what the guy asking
the original question wanted to know.

--
Robert Jude Kudla  <kudla@pawl.rpi.edu>

"Famous? I'm not famous. People come up to me after a show and say
    'Hey, Steve!'"
                                -Jon Anderson

louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (01/08/90)

>I believe the deal was if Commodore could sell 100,000 Amiga units in
>4q89, Microsoft would start porting stuff. This is what the guy asking
>the original question wanted to know.

Gee, after using the wonder from Microsoft "AmigaBASIC", I count my blessings
that Microsoft isn't in the Amiga software game.  What a piece of garbage!

Now, ABasiC, that came with AmigaDOS 1.0 back in the good ole days, there
was some software with promise.  At least it could scroll without tripping
over its own feet!

Me, I'm real happy with Lattice C 5.04.  Here's one software product that
has shown steady improvement since the Developer's version I got back with
the Amiga 1000 introduction.  I wish more software vendors supported their
customers with very reasonably priced upgrades to fine product.

Microsoft?  Feh.  It will be interesting to find out if they could be
worse than that pox on Amiga users, Electronic Arts.  Double Feh!

louie