[comp.sys.amiga] Service Center Cooperation

dixon@cs.nps.navy.mil (Roger Dixon) (01/07/90)

     I am one of those poor unfortunates that owns a 1084S monitor
with my Amiga.  Back in October, the monitor blew because of faulty
parts.  I dutifully packed it up and took it to my nearest service
center for repair (26 miles).  They didn't have the needed parts on
hand, so they promptly put them on order.  They have since made
numerous phone calls to C=, first to get them to agree to pay since
the monitor blew because of faulty parts (common in the 1084S), and
then to get status on those "backordered" parts.  Twice I have called
HT Electronics (over 80 miles away) and found they had the needed parts
but would not sell them to me.  I've pasted on the info to my service
center, but when they call, they get told to take a hike.  I called the
manager at HT to see why they couldn't make some kind of arrangement,
as both places are C= service centers, and he told me it was up to the
technician wether any cooperation took place.

     Now I know my business degree has collected a little dust, but I
would think it is in Commodore's best interest if these service centers
cooperated.  It might even help remove the image of poor service that
has been generated over the years, that has kept some people from buying
Commodore.  In this particular case, it would help my service center
reduce it's 4 monitor back-log, and I'm sure HT could find some way to
take the credit.  As it stands now I have two choices, either take the
monitor out of my servcie center and drive 60 more miles to give it to
HT to repair (not on the same day of course), or wait and hope it doesn't
take another four months.

      What does everybody on the net feel about service center cooperation?

Roger Dixon                                     Standard Disclaimer
ARPAnet (Defense Data Network):		        dixon@cs.nps.navy.mil

commike@sunybcs.cs.Buffalo.EDU (Alan Commike ) (01/08/90)

In article <528@cs.nps.navy.mil> dixon@cs.nps.navy.mil (Roger Dixon) writes:

>     I am one of those poor unfortunates that owns a 1084S monitor
>with my Amiga.  Back in October, the monitor blew because of faulty
>parts.

I have one too, lousy monitors aren't they :(
Bet the bad part was the fly-back transformer!

My solution was to bring the monitor to a local television repair shop. I
had to absorb the cost, but it only too a week to fix...

What was the final conclusion on the fix for the "double-interlace" on the
1084S's? Is there one, and does it work??

	...alan
internet: commike@cs.buffalo.edu |
bitnet: commike@sunybcs.BITNET   |
uucp:  ..!{watmath,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!commike
Real-Life: Alan Commike - SUNY @ Buffalo, Buffalo NY

Q: How many computer scientists does it take to change a light bulb?
A: It's undecidable!