[comp.sys.amiga] hires ?

cs472222@umbc5.umbc.edu (CMSC 472/201) (12/23/89)

Mr. Wicks,

    You're wrong wrong wrong about amiga graphics modes (although I
wish you were right.)  The following are the supported modes on the
standard denise: (Please, someone ELSE please correct ME if I'm wrong).

   320 x 200    32 colors/4096 colors
   320 x 400    32 colors/4096 colors     interlaced
   320 x 200    64 colors/4096 colors     extra_halfbrite
   320 x 400    64 colors/4096 colors     interlaced extra_halfbrite
   320 x 200  4096 colors/4096 colors     HAM
   320 x 400  4096 colors/4096 colors     interlaced HAM
   640 x 200    16 colors/4096 colors     hires
   640 x 400    16 colors/4096 colors     interlaced hires

Any of these modes may be overscanned.

The ECS supposedly supports the following additional modes:

   640 x 480     4 colors/64 colors       productivity mode (Multisyncs)
   640 x 960     4 colors/64 colors       interlaced productivity mode
  1280 x 200     4 colors/64 colors       super hires
  1280 x 400     4 colors/64 colors       interlaced superhires

  1280 x 480     1 color/64 colors ???????????
  1280 x 960     1 color/64 colors ???????????

My question is, why the limitation of color selection to 64 colors?
Is it possible that a future denise may incorporate more
bitplanes/colors?
Why not go straight to that denise?

                  Larry Augsburger
BITNET:           CS472222@UMBC5.UMBC.EDU
                  CS379240@UMBC1.UMBC.EDU

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (01/08/90)

In article <2651@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> cs472222@umbc5.umbc.edu (CMSC 472/201) writes:
>My question is, why the limitation of color selection to 64 colors?
>Is it possible that a future denise may incorporate more bitplanes/colors?

How to get 1280x400 resolution (in 4 shades of gray) on all existing Amigas:

In addition to the standard sync and analog RGB signals on the DB23
connector, there are 4 digital signals for IBM CGA-compatible RGBI
monitors.  These bits are driven by 4 of the 12 bits of the currently
displayed color; R3, G3, B3, and B0.

If the color palette is carefully chosen, each of the 4 output bits can be
controlled by a single bit plane.  That is; changes to bit plane 1 affect
only the R bit, bit plane 2 only the G bit, etc.

A piece of external hardware could be designed to look at those 4 bits, two
at time.  Instead of looking at 4 bits in parallel to display a single pixel
in one of 16 colors, this hardware would display two pixels, each one being
one of 4 shades of gray.  This means a 640x400x4-bitplane image would show
up as a 1280x400x4-gray image.

Note that this would work on all Amigas, including the A1000, since all the
fancy hardware is external.  However, a new graphics.library would be needed
since adjacent pixels on the screen are no longer adjacent bits in the same
word, but rather in different bit planes.

This is how I had assumed the Hedley Monitor worked when I was first
announced.  That assumption turned out to be wrong, but the ideas presented
above are still valid.

Now, for color.  The video slot on the American A2000 has all 12 color bits
available.  A device plugged into this slot could to the same trick to look
at half of the bits (2 red, 2 green, and 2 blue), then the other 6 bits.
The end result is that the half-width pixels can be any one of 64 colors.
As in the monochrome setup above, 4 bitplanes are combined to act as 2
independent virtual bitplanes.  The end result is a 1280x400 screen that
displays 4 colors out of a palette of 64.

Of course this requires interlaced video for a 400-line tall screen, since
it is still running at NTSC frequences.  Noninterlaced screens are limited
to 200 to 243 lines.  If the horizontal sync pulse (and horizontal blanking
signal) were to be made one half its width, and a second h-sync pulse added
in the middle of the line, it would split this new 1280 pixel line into two
640 pixel lines, running at a horizontal frequency of 31.4 KHz instead of
15.7 KHz.  At this point, the Amiga's hardware thinks it is displaying a
640x200x16-color screen, but the additional hardware converts this to a
640x400x4-color noninterlaced screen on a VGA or multisync type monitor.

Now you can see why I was not at all surprised when Commodore announced
that the "Productivity Mode" of the ECS chips will be 640x400, noninterlaced,
showing 4 colors out of a palette of 64 colors.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms