[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga 2000 serial problems

gest_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Gavin Stark) (12/14/89)

I have heard that Commodore-Amiga had put out a batch of 2000s that had a
faulty chip in the serial port handler.  Does anyone know what serial
number ranges they were and if C-A has any plan to replace the faulty ones.

My 2000 is about 1.5 to 2 years old.

If you knoew anything about this please mail me at
GEST_LTD@UHURA.CC.ROCHESTER.EDU

Thank you,
Gavin Stark

brom@image.UUCP (Manuel Steudtner) (01/03/90)

In article <4503@ur-cc.UUCP>, gest_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Gavin Stark) writes:
> I have heard that Commodore-Amiga had put out a batch of 2000s that had a
> faulty chip in the serial port handler.  Does anyone know what serial
> number ranges they were and if C-A has any plan to replace the faulty ones.
>
> My 2000 is about 1.5 to 2 years old.

Since all the Ports in an Amiga are controlled by these 8520 chips, which have
to to all the i/o, it is rather unlikely that C= has produced a series of
a2000 which cause problems with thier serial port. Anyway, the 8520 ist easy
to replace. (The Amiga hast 2 of them, so that is is poosible to exchange
them to check wether they are all right or not.)
The 8520 is directly connected to the standart rs232 1488 and 1489 chips
wich one can find in nearly evry serial port. Ist allso rather unlikely that
C= put numerous faulty ones in their a2000. But again it's easy to put
in new ones.

...>
> Gavin Stark

Manuel
--
Manuel Steudtner                             ...einoed!utopia!image!brom
brom@image

Berlin; Europe

ridder@elvira.enet.dec.com (Hans Ridder) (01/09/90)

In article <31@image.UUCP> brom@image.UUCP (Manuel Steudtner) writes:
>In article <4503@ur-cc.UUCP>, gest_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Gavin Stark) writes:
>> I have heard that Commodore-Amiga had put out a batch of 2000s that had a
>> faulty chip in the serial port handler.
>
>Since all the Ports in an Amiga are controlled by these 8520 chips, which have
>to to all the i/o, it is rather unlikely that C= has produced a series of
>a2000 which cause problems with thier serial port.

Not exactly.  The Amiga serial port functions are split between two
chips.  The data lines are handled by a custom chip (Paula, I think),
and one of the 8520's handles the modem control.  Either way, I
haven't heard anything about bad custom chips either.

-hans
  Hans-Gabriel Ridder			Digital Equipment Corporation
  ridder@elvira.enet.dec.com		Customer Support Center
  ...decwrl!elvira.enet!ridder		Colorado Springs, CO