[comp.sys.amiga] WANTED: Info on Comal options

Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com (01/08/90)

What is/are the difference(s), if any, between the Comal being released on
a recent FISH disk and the Comal being offered by the Comal Users Group?
I understand the FISH version compiles to P-Code.  Is the other native-mode
(i.e., runs stand-alone)?  How well do they support system calls, libraries,
etc.?  Can they be used for commercial development?  Any information relating
to the current implementations' viability for commercial (development
environment) applications would be appreciated.  Thanks!
                                Julie Petersen (LadyHawke@cup.portal.com)

terry@helios.ucsc.edu (Terry Ricketts) (01/09/90)

In article <25714@cup.portal.com> Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com writes:
>What is/are the difference(s), if any, between the Comal being released on
>a recent FISH disk and the Comal being offered by the Comal Users Group?
>I understand the FISH version compiles to P-Code.  Is the other native-mode
>(i.e., runs stand-alone)?  How well do they support system calls, libraries,
>etc.?  Can they be used for commercial development?  Any information relating
>to the current implementations' viability for commercial (development
>environment) applications would be appreciated.  Thanks!
>                                Julie Petersen (LadyHawke@cup.portal.com)

	The Comal Users Group in Madison Wisc. has been selling the latest
version of AmigaComal for several months now. Just recently they were authorized
to release a demo version with the 'save' and 'enter' functions disabled. This
was first uploaded to People Link and has since been cross posted to Genie and
to a number of BBS's. I have not seen the version on the Fish disk yet, but I
would imagine that Len Lindsey of the Comal Users Group sent the demo to Fred
and that is what you are seeing there.
	There is a compiler for Comal available separately for about $35 that
will make Comal feasable for comercial development.