[comp.sys.amiga] Supra 2 Meg Ram problem on older A500

adams@cgou01.dec.com (01/10/90)

pl@kaarne.tut.fi (Lehtinen Pertti) writes:

>Subject: Supra-ram problems
>Date: 27 Oct 89 23:28:24 GMT
>
>	We have a strange problem with 2 Meg supra-ram.
>	Situation is as follows:
>	- My friend has A-500 and Supra hard disk and it works ok.
>	- He add to it 2 Meg supra-ram and it doesn't work.
>	- We tried his controller and ram on my A-500 and it works ok.
>	- On his machine ramtest gives errors.  Address and bit-position
>	  given by test variates randomly. (no pattern found).
>
>	So the question is:
>	- What can be wrong in his machine?
>	- All works ok without ram, but with it doesn't.
>	- Ram itself is ok ( works on other machine ).
>	Any ideas?

I noticed the above article while researching a problem  for a friend.
The symptoms described above are identical to what he is seeing.

His A500 is quite old, this was confirmed when the dealer had to do some
extra etch cuts etc. (procedure from Commodore) when the Fatter
Agnus installed.

The Supra and memory work on a friends (newer) A500.

He called one of the local service depots and they said that they have
seen the same problem and that there is no known fix. A call to Supra
got the usual response - "We know of no problems".

Has anyone else seen this? Is there any way to fix it?

Any help is greatly appreciated....   Clint