[comp.sys.amiga] Starflight

akcs.dfrancis@tronsbox.UUCP (Dennis Francis Heffernan) (12/16/89)

     I see that STARFLIGHT is out for the Amiga- my local store wants $45
for it, list is $50.
     What >I< want to know is, will this run on a 68030 system?  If I
haven't heard in a week or so I'll probably try it anyway and install a
selector switch if it isn't, but I figured it'd be a good idea to ask first.

--dfh   ..uunet!galaxy!dsoft!dfrancis
        "Think of something clever, and assume I said it."

evtracy@sdrc.UUCP (Tracy S. Schuhwerk) (12/21/89)

In article <2589cdcc:3238comp.sys.amiga@tronsbox.UUCP>, akcs.dfrancis@tronsbox.UUCP (Dennis Francis Heffernan) writes:
>      What >I< want to know is, will this run on a 68030 system?  If I
> haven't heard in a week or so I'll probably try it anyway and install a
> selector switch if it isn't, but I figured it'd be a good idea to ask first.

I have Starflight and have run it on an '020 machine with no problems if
that is any comfort.

     /// _______________     /        /                    /        ///
    ///     /    (___    _  /_       /_          _   __   /_/      ///
\\\///     / .  _____)__(__/ /__/_/_/ /__/_/_/__(/__/ (__/ \   \\\///
 \XX/           Structural Dynamics Research Corporation        \XX/

dfrancis@dsoft.UUCP (Dennis Heffernan) (12/25/89)

Well, Starflight is here, and I've got it.  Runs on my 68030, no problem.

Thing is, now that I've seen it, the question is not "How did they port it to
the 64" but rather "What took them so long?"  I don't think it lives up to
its hype.

In addition, it's S-L-O-W.  Now, I don't have any 32-bit RAM yet- just the
25 MHz 030 and FPU- but the benchmark progams I've run say I'm still getting
a 40-50% speed increase.  I'd hate to see it on a stock machine.

These things are probably due to the people who did the port- MICRO MAGIC,
the same bunch that brought us OMEGA, a (cough) wonderful program that doesn't
allow you to use your harddrive and completely ignores the standard Amiga
ways of doing things.  Guess what, folks- Starflight runs the EXACT SAME WAY
as OMEGA.  And the graphics are at least as good.  :-)  It's the part about
the hard drive that gets me though, since neither game has on-disk copy
protection.  It seems to be just sheer laziness.

My advice:  I paid $35.  If you can get it for less, do so.  If not, forget
it.

--dfh  ...uunet!galaxy!dsoft!dfrancis
       "Think of something clever, and assume I said it."

robocop@netmbx.UUCP (Thorsten Ebers) (01/08/90)

Hi Fans,
has anybody some hints for playing Starflight.
i collected so much artifacts.Most of them are worthless.
Is there a oprtunity to install the devices or to switch them on ?
The are also some ships that have weapons that blast my ship immediatly away
besides I have my ship configurated best(everything class5) and all
persons at ship are trained full.Some ships have plasma weapons some have an
device that you just explode ?
Any hints are welcome.
Thorsten

--
Thorsten Ebers                      Overseas:..pyramid!tmpmbx!netmbx!robocop
Goerresstr.20                       Europe  :..altger!tmpmbx!netmbx!robocop

dfrancis@dsoft.UUCP (Dennis Heffernan) (01/10/90)

In article <4049@netmbx.UUCP> robocop@netmbx.UUCP (Thorsten Ebers) writes:
>Hi Fans,
>has anybody some hints for playing Starflight.

	First hint: Don't buy it.  Too late for that one, though.

	Next:  SOME of the artifacts will do things, but they'll do it
automatically.  There's a Cloaking Device that will activate whenever you're
in
an encounter with weapons armed; a Ring Device that automatically locates all
fluxes (useless, a fully trained navigator does that too); a Crystal Pearl
that
warps a badly damaged ship to the nearest safe point.  There's also the three
items you need to win the game, but I'll let you figure out what they are and
such.

	Most of the other artifacts are indeed useless; just sell them.

	The ships with the plasma weapons are *probably* Uhleks.  I say
probablybecause they're the only ones I never got to talk to.  And, I never saw them
again after destroying the Uhlek Brain Planet.  (Which was a joke in itself;
the "Uhlek Brain Planet" had NO guards of any kind.  I just flew in and blew
it
up.)  The Garzutoids were suposed to be mean, but the only time I fought one
I blew the snot out of it.  Then there's the guys in the huge spherical ships
that scan as all rodnium, but shooting at them didn't do anything and talking
to them, when they would talk, got me a string of binary numbers.  Never did
figure out what to do with that.

--
	--dfh	...uunet!tronsbox!dsoft!dfrancis
		"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition