[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga Monitor 1080 and VGA

duncanj@umd5.umd.edu (James Duncan) (01/07/90)

The 1080 is an analog monitor.  Will it work with IBM type VGA adaptors?
If so what cabling is required.  What are the specs on the 1080?
I have a 1080 but the manual doesn't state it's screen resolution.

			Jim Duncan

givler@cbmvax.commodore.com (Greg Givler - PA) (01/09/90)

In article <5889@umd5.umd.edu> duncanj@umd5.umd.edu (James Duncan) writes:
>The 1080 is an analog monitor.  Will it work with IBM type VGA adaptors?
>If so what cabling is required.  What are the specs on the 1080?
>I have a 1080 but the manual doesn't state it's screen resolution.
>
>			Jim Duncan

The 1080 is NOT a VGA compatible monitor. It is Only CGA. The Analog is for
the Amiga.
Greg Givler                        | Q-Link: GregGivler
Analyst - Systems Evaluation Group | CompuServe: Greg Givler 76702,647
Commodore Product Assurance        | GEnie: G.Givler
215-431-9100                       | The NET: givler@cbmvax.commodore.com
"Wild Whores couldn't keep me away!" -- George Francisco
"That's Horses, George" -- Matt Sikes -- Alien Nation --  Fox Broadcasting --

givler@cbmvax.commodore.com (Greg Givler - PA) writes:

>The 1080 is NOT a VGA compatible monitor. It is Only CGA. The Analog is for
>the Amiga.

A better explanation is that VGA (which is analog) will not work on a 1080
monitor because VGA uses a different scanning frequency. The 1080 is
(I think) 15Khz while VGA uses something like 31Khz.

--
John Sparks  | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps. Accessable via Starlink (Louisville KY)
sparks@corpane.UUCP <><><><><><><><><><><> D.I.S.K. ph:502/968-5401 thru -5406