[comp.sys.amiga] AMAX and music sequencing

tim@bacchus.esa.oz (Tim Edgoose) (01/10/90)

i'm interested in running music sequencing software using the amax emulator.

i understand that the mac midi interfaces should just hang of the serial
port and there should be no problems.

preferably though, and i've heard this rumored, the amax guys might be able
to hack the thing to work with the amiga interface.

anyone know better?

--                              __     /       |
tim :-)                        / /\    \   --\-O-/--
expert solutions australia    / /\ \   /      \^/
tim@bacchus.esa.oz           /_/__\ \  \      (.)  "life's a piece of shit
(03) 819 4554                \_____\/  /      /|\   when you look at it!"
                                              \|/
                                              ~|~

fc@lexicon.com (Frank Cunningham) (01/10/90)

In article <595@bacchus.esa.oz> tim@bacchus.esa.oz (Tim Edgoose) writes:
> i'm interested in running music sequencing software using the amax emulator.
> i understand that the mac midi interfaces should just hang of the serial
> port and there should be no problems.

This is the most coherent reply I received to posting of a similar
request a few months back.

"Frank, I don't believe that Finale (or any Mac MIDI software) will run
on the Amiga under AMAX.  The reason is that while most Mac software
relies on Toolbox calls to perform low-level system operations, MIDI
software directly accesses the Mac hardware chips.  Partly this was
due to performance considerations, partly because Apple had no avail-
able Toolbox calls (or Manager) for MIDI.  They have recently released
a MIDI Manager, and as more MAC software is modified to work with it,
it holds open the possibility of emulators handling MIDI as well.  Now
at least there will be some place to trap in to, intercept calls, and
provide alternate handlers (device drivers).

The limitations are the same on the Atari ST Mac emulator (Spectre)."
(author's name available on request)
-frank

--
-Frank Cunningham   smart: fc@lexicon.com	phone: (617) 891-6790
		    dumb: {husc6,linus,harvard,bbn}!spdcc!lexicon!fc