[comp.sys.amiga] A1000 SCSI HD

auyeung@iris.ucdavis.edu (Tak [UlTech] AuYeung) (01/09/90)

Okay, after more than 2 months of thinking (and thinking), I've
decided to install a HD system for my good old Amiga 1000.

This is my plan:
(1)	Buy a Supra SCSI controller for $209
(2)	Buy a 49M Seagate HD for $349
(3)	Buy a box with power supply and fan for $79
(4)	Piece them together

It is the least expensive way to get a new >40M SCSI HD system that I
can think of.  However, I'm not sure whether it will work or not.  So
instead of trial and error, I'd like you guys (if kind enough) to give
me opinions, suggestions or corrections before I go ahead and make the
investment.

I'm not sure if the information should be emailed or posted.  I follow
this newsgroup fairly constantly, so either way I'll get your
information.  But are there other A1000 owners who want to install a
SCSI HD system?

Thanks in advance!

--Tak
 ___   #   #    =====         everything's only what it seems to be
(__/\  #   # #    # ===\ /=== #   # >>>>> auyeung@iris.ucdavis.edu
 O/O)  #   # #    # ----X     #---# >>>>> Tak-Ying (UlTech) AuYeung
 \-/|  \===/ \=== # ===/ \=== #   # >>>>> Logical Entity in Netland

billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) (01/11/90)

:
:This is my plan:
:(1)	Buy a Supra SCSI controller for $209
:(2)	Buy a 49M Seagate HD for $349
:(3)	Buy a box with power supply and fan for $79
:(4)	Piece them together
:
:It is the least expensive way to get a new :40M SCSI HD system that I
:can think of.  However, I'm not sure whether it will work or not.  So
:instead of trial and error, I'd like you guys (if kind enough) to give
:me opinions, suggestions or corrections before I go ahead and make the
:investment.

	Yup, that should work fine... Make sure you get the cable and
little adapter card with your Supra interface though! You'll also have
to buy (or build) a short 50 line ribbon cable with IDC connectors on
each end to go from the little interface card to the drive itself.

:Thanks in advance!
:

--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
                               ...tektronix!sequent.UUCP!calvin!billsey

braun@wrath.bellcore.com (David A. Braun) (01/11/90)

[UlTech] AuYeung) writes:
> Okay, after more than 2 months of thinking (and thinking), I've
> decided to install a HD system for my good old Amiga 1000.
>
> This is my plan:
> (1)	Buy a Supra SCSI controller for $209
> (2)	Buy a 49M Seagate HD for $349
> (3)	Buy a box with power supply and fan for $79
> (4)	Piece them together

> Thanks in advance!

This is essentially what I did and it works fine.  A point to consider though
is that the Supra 4X4 controller (thats what is printed on the box) is
just the SCSI controller chip (5380?) (that just about everyone uses) and
some glue chips to interface its pins to the Amiga's bus.  There is no DMA
capability.  There seems to be some interupt hardware but the software doesn't
use it (Xoper doesn't show anyone on the vector).  This is fine if all your
want is Supra controlled hard disks and single thread processing during
disk operations.  Problems arise when you start trying to use other SCSI
devices.  The interaction between Supra's stuff and the "foreign" stuff can
get really bizarre!

dave braun
(201)829-4493