[comp.sys.amiga] Latest Lattice C

jol@sei.cmu.edu (Eel O'Nuj) (01/08/90)

What is the latest version of the Lattice C.  I just received mine from
Abel Supplies and the "latest" version they sent me is 5.0.
I thought the latest version was 5.4.

The Eelman
jol@sei.cmu.edu

jol@sei.cmu.edu (Eel O'Nuj) (01/09/90)

ThanX to all who replied.

The Eelman

robin@sabre.uucp (Robin D. Wilson/1000000) (01/09/90)

In article <5536@fy.sei.cmu.edu> jol@sei.cmu.edu (Eel O'Nuj) writes:
>What is the latest version of the Lattice C.  I just received mine from
>Abel Supplies and the "latest" version they sent me is 5.0.
>I thought the latest version was 5.4.

I just got version 5.04.  Perhaps that's what you mean by 5.4?

BTW, Has anybody tried to compile the examples?  When I do the only one I can
get to work is speechtoy (I also have not read the manual (manual"s") yet,
but I figured it would be easy enough to "wing-it" on the examples).  All of
them compiled with warnings.  I don't know about anybody else, but I would
think/hope that the compiler maker could come up with some code that doesn't
have any warnings on the compile.  Or maybe it didn't install properly.

{Before anybody flames me for not putting the assigns in the startup-sequence,
I DID READ THAT FAR IN THE MANUAL!}

|The views expressed herein, are the sole responsibility of the typist at hand|
|USNail:                               UUCP:                                  |
|2323 Wells Branch Pkwy., #G107        cs.utexas.edu!romp!ibmchs!auschs\      |
|Austin, TX  78728                     !sabre.austin.ibm.com!robin            |
|Home: (512)251-6889                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^<-MUST BE INCLUDED|

caw@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Chris Wichura) (01/10/90)

The latest version is 5.04a (the a update being available only though
their BBS and is mostly just fixes in the LCM.LIB math library as well
as for a floating point error in CPR.

--
Christopher A. Wichura
u12401 @ uicvm.uic.edu  (my home account)

keithh@atreus.uucp (Keith Hanlan) (01/11/90)

In article <5536@fy.sei.cmu.edu> jol@sei.cmu.edu (Eel O'Nuj) writes:
>What is the latest version of the Lattice C.  I just received mine from
>Abel Supplies and the "latest" version they sent me is 5.0.
>I thought the latest version was 5.4.

	Lattice just sent me 5.04b in response to a bug report I gave
	with 5.04. It was the most recent as of January 3rd.

	Keith Hanlan
Keith Hanlan
Bell-Northern Research, Ottawa, Canada 613-765-4645
uunet!utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!bmers58!atreus!keithh or keithh@bnr.ca

In article <2917@d75.UUCP> robin@reed.UUCP (Robin D. Wilson/1000000) writes:
>I just got version 5.04.  Perhaps that's what you mean by 5.4?
>
>BTW, Has anybody tried to compile the examples?  When I do the only one I can
>get to work is speechtoy (I also have not read the manual (manual"s") yet,
>but I figured it would be easy enough to "wing-it" on the examples).  All of
>them compiled with warnings.  I don't know about anybody else, but I would
>think/hope that the compiler maker could come up with some code that doesn't
>have any warnings on the compile.  Or maybe it didn't install properly.

You probably are experiencing the same bug I found in 5.04. It generated
incorrect code for global statically initialized arrays. That is:

char *fred = "abcdef";
main() {
	printf( "'%s'\n", fred );
}

prints out '' (the empty string). Using CPR (which I thought was great!)
showed that it was generating code using offsets from the LOCAL
frame pointer (A5) instead of from the static base (A4). (I might have
flipped the registers around - I'm new to the Amiga and its format)

By contrast:

char *fred;
main() {
	fred = "abcdef";
	printf( "'%s'\n", fred );
}

works as does:

main() {
	char *fred = "abcdef";
	printf( "'%s'\n", fred );
}

I have not been too impressed. Don't they run a regression test on all
the software they release? Even their demos didn't work with 5.04!
Pretty slipshod.

My next biggest beef is the fact that 50% of my lookups in the Master
Index fail. The documentation is not adaquate for the experienced
programmer/novice amiga programmer - doubtless a frequent customer.

Despising the C programming language and null terminated strings
even more-so doesn't help my disposition.