[comp.sys.amiga] Yeah, what's .Z

VAUGHN@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (01/11/90)

In article <25AAB4A2.4638@paris.ics.uci.edu>, rang@paris.ics.uci.edu (Roger Penaranda Jr. Ang) writes:
> quick question,
> 	I downloaded some binaries from xanth with .uu?.Z extensions.
> I fiddled with them but couldn't zoo or uudecode them.  What should I
> do to extract the files?

I have the same problem.  I know that you're supposed to unshar them, but
I am having no luck doing this.  I transfered the files on FTP using bget.
The files look pretty screwy if you look at them, and I can't edit them
in any way like it says to in the latest "Intro to comp.sys.amiga" file.
Plus, these instructions assume you're on a unix system!  I'm on a VAX 8650.
Is there a version on unshar for VAX/VMS?
Did I do something wrong when I transferred the files over FTP to my local
VAX account?

Help!

Chris

aliu@aludra.usc.edu (Terminal Entry) (01/11/90)

In article <21033@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> VAUGHN@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>In article <25AAB4A2.4638@paris.ics.uci.edu>, rang@paris.ics.uci.edu (Roger Penaranda Jr. Ang) writes:
>> quick question,
>> 	I downloaded some binaries from xanth with .uu?.Z extensions.
>> I fiddled with them but couldn't zoo or uudecode them.  What should I
>> do to extract the files?
>>
>I have the same problem.  I know that you're supposed to unshar them, but
>I am having no luck doing this.  I transfered the files on FTP using bget.
>The files look pretty screwy if you look at them, and I can't edit them
>in any way like it says to in the latest "Intro to comp.sys.amiga" file.
>Plus, these instructions assume you're on a unix system!  I'm on a VAX 8650.
>Is there a version on unshar for VAX/VMS?
>Did I do something wrong when I transferred the files over FTP to my local
>VAX account?

If you read the Intro to Comp.sys.amiga posting carefully, you might've
noticed that one of the entries was a listing of many of the commonly-
encountered entries.

The Bible of Comp.[binaries | sources].amiga:

If you have a number of files with extensions like .uu?.Z, you:

1. Decompress the using COMPRESS[1] on *nix, amiga, or whatever.

	(example:	'uncompress file1[.Z] file2[.Z] ...' )

2. Unshar them using the UNSHAR script, OR deleting the lines until
   you get to the ---cut here--- line and then run it through SH. Not
   familiar with what's available on Amiga.

	(example using UNSHAR script:	'UNSHAR file1 file2 ...' )
	(example using SH : 'sh file1 file2 ...' )

3. In step 3, you might have to join all the new files toghether. If you have
   a number of files like 'name.zu1' 'name.zu2', you must join them using
   your favorite utility... However, depending on how the archive was packed,
   you may not have to, so don't delete your original files. In any case, if
   you get a 'short file' message, it means that you need to append another
   file.

	(example using CAT:	'cat file1 file2 ... > destfile)'

4.  UUdecode the destfile.

	(example:	'uudecode destfile')

    ... and like magic, the file with the original name will be placed
    in your cwd.

5.   Now don't ask again!

warb@faatcrl.UUCP (Dan Warburton) (01/11/90)

>In article <25AAB4A2.4638@paris.ics.uci.edu>, rang@paris.ics.uci.edu (Roger Penaranda Jr. Ang) writes:
>> quick question,
>> 	I downloaded some binaries from xanth with .uu?.Z extensions.
>> I fiddled with them but couldn't zoo or uudecode them.  What should I
>> do to extract the files?

Looks like your need to uncompress (.Z) then uudecode (uu) decode them,
you did set binary when you ftp'd them?, they (uncompress, uudecode) should both be avaiable on a unix box. Good Luck!

kelso@mimsy.umd.edu (Stephen Kelley) (01/11/90)

In article <21033@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, VAUGHN@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
> In article <25AAB4A2.4638@paris.ics.uci.edu>, rang@paris.ics.uci.edu (Roger Penaranda Jr. Ang) writes:
> > quick question,
> > 	I downloaded some binaries from xanth with .uu?.Z extensions.
> >
> I have the same problem.  I know that you're supposed to unshar them, but

The summary says it all. There should be a 'compress' prog. on your
system. Also, one was (I believe) posted to comp.sources.amiga a
few(?) weeks ago. I was just experimenting w/ it on my A2500 last
night and it works fine.
--
Real:	Stephen Kelley, Welch Library, Johns Hopkins Univ.
Internet: stevek@welch.jhu.edu

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (01/12/90)

In article <1157@faatcrl.UUCP> warb@faatcrl.UUCP (Dan Warburton) writes:
> In article <25AAB4A2.4638@paris.ics.uci.edu>, rang@paris.ics.uci.edu writes:
> > 	I downloaded some binaries from xanth with .uu?.Z extensions. ...
>
> you did set binary when you ftp'd them?...

xanth forces users to use binary mode when retrieving files ending in
.Z, .tar, .arc, .zoo, and .wrp, regardless of the casing of the
extension (attempting to transfer such files in ascii mode results in:

``550 filename: Probably a BINARY file.  Perhaps you should set TYPE I first.''

It probably should be extended to include .lhw, .lzh, and .zip ...
	...tad