[comp.sys.amiga] AMIGA music software

frodo@b11.ingr.com (Chuck Puckett) (01/10/90)

I would appreciate recommendations on a program or (best set) of programs to
run on an AMIGA 1000 that provides the $KEYWORDS capabilities. I would like
to have composition for multiple instruments, a set of instruments in a
library, and the ability to playback my composition for review using the
AMIGA's onboard sound abilities. The composition capacity should have the
usual stuff: choose key and time, notes (down to 64ths), rests; hopefully,
it would have bars and ties, etc. Printing needs to be done to a dot-matrix,
hopefully with the AMIGA standard printer driver (this may be a bit much for
such specialized symbols, but when you're asking, ask for it all). I don't
need MIDI stuff, though I suspect that most programs of this ilk will provide
some MIDI capability anyway.

The thing that I have heard about that seems to satisfy my MMRs (Minimum
Mandatory Requirements) would probably be Deluxe Music Construction Set. I
realize that I invite ages-old commentary when I ask for opinions on this
program, but, what the heck: this forum is well-known for revisiting issues
when someone like me sticks his nose in a new arena and asks "Huh?" I invite
you over to rec.arts.drwho to find ever new requests for the knitting pattern
for Tom Baker's scarf or to rec.music.gdead to discover what the dancing
bears really mean.

Besides DMCS, what other program(s) might you suggest, and why? Danke in
advance. (Or why not DMCS?)

		    ...uunet!ingr!b17c!frodo     UUCP
		    ingr!b11!frodo@uunet.uu.net ARPANET
"There were hookers and hustlers, and they filled up the room
 I heard about this place they call the Spanish Moon"

goodloe@b11.ingr.com (Tony Goodloe) (01/11/90)

In article <7070@b11.ingr.com>, frodo@b11.ingr.com (Chuck Puckett) writes:

> Printing needs to be done to a dot-matrix,
> hopefully with the AMIGA standard printer driver (this may be a bit much for
> such specialized symbols, but when you're asking, ask for it all).
>
> ...would probably be Deluxe Music Construction Set.

I have used DMCS on a friend's AMIGA and my Kurzweil.  It did everything
you asked for. It did a pretty decent job at printing on his Epson
printer. We have even used the scores from DMCS for a small brass ensemble
- just to say that the scores are very readable. The biggest drawback
that I see is the method of entering the music for the score. It would
seem that selecting icons and placing them on a staff with a joystick or
mouse would be nice, but it gets old - fast. I've seen other methods
that are superior, such as entering values in a table:

Note	Duration	MIDI Channel
c5	16		1
f#5	8		1

etc.

hope this is worth something.

tony

givler@cbmvax.commodore.com (Greg Givler - PA) (01/12/90)

In article <7093@b11.ingr.com> goodloe@b11.ingr.com (Tony Goodloe) writes:
>In article <7070@b11.ingr.com>, frodo@b11.ingr.com (Chuck Puckett) writes:
>>
>> Printing needs to be done to a dot-matrix,
>> hopefully with the AMIGA standard printer driver (this may be a bit much for
>> such specialized symbols, but when you're asking, ask for it all).
>>
>> ...would probably be Deluxe Music Construction Set.

>It would
>seem that selecting icons and placing them on a staff with a joystick or
>mouse would be nice, but it gets old - fast. I've seen other methods
>that are superior, such as entering values in a table:
>
>Note	Duration	MIDI Channel
>c5	16		1
>f#5	8		1
>
>etc.
>
>hope this is worth something.
>
>tony

I use DMCS to write music for a Church Choir that I directed for some time
and the scores are legible. If you are going to put words in your music you
have to use a font that has lots of verticals and horizontals. In other
words Topaz looks lousy.

The way that I enter the notes into DMCS is with the little keyboard that
is on the screen. It is not as fast as MIDI entry, but it has some advantages,
for one thing you don't have to have one hand on the computer and one on
the keyboard. I have gotten to the point that I can enter a 10 page song in
2-3 hours. And my choirs like the DMCS output much better than my manuscript,
which is, to be kind, terrible.

Greg
Greg Givler                        | Q-Link: GregGivler
Analyst - Systems Evaluation Group | CompuServe: Greg Givler 76702,647
Commodore Product Assurance        | GEnie: G.Givler
215-431-9100                       | The NET: givler@cbmvax.commodore.com
"Wild Whores couldn't keep me away!" -- George Francisco
"That's Horses, George" -- Matt Sikes -- Alien Nation --  Fox Broadcasting --