[comp.sys.amiga] Bad Block?

In <5395.AA5395@caleb>, jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) writes:
>[ Dear Mr. Lineeater, please eat the Atari, FM Towns, and 80386 threads. ]
>
>Hello,
>       this is a request to anyone listening at CBM.  I have an A2090 (not A)
>with two SCSI drives attached.  On the new drive, format locks up on the 812
>cylinder (of 820.)  I assume that this means that there is an unknown bad block
>somewhere on cylinder 812.  How can I identify which block is bad?

It could also be that you have specified one extra sector per track than what
the drive thinks it has, and that you have simply run out of space. Many
drive specs include one extra, but it is not used for 'normal' data, but rather
as a place to put alternate blocks.

-larry

--
"Cavett Emptor - Let the talk show host beware!" - Evan Marcus

jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) (01/13/90)

[ Dear Mr. Lineeater, please eat the Atari, FM Towns, and 80386 threads. ]

Hello,
       this is a request to anyone listening at CBM.  I have an A2090 (not A)
with two SCSI drives attached.  On the new drive, format locks up on the 812
cylinder (of 820.)  I assume that this means that there is an unknown bad block
somewhere on cylinder 812.  How can I identify which block is bad?  (Note,
the drive had no bad block list on the outside of the drive.)  Even if I find
out which block is bad, is there a way to tell the drive to map out that block.
(I think that SCSI drives are supposed to be able to do this at the drive
level.)

PS.  Could we get a smarter, more robust format command for 1.4?

                                   Thank you,

--

                                        Jim Pritchett

                                        UUCP:  {attctc|texbell}!letni!caleb!jdp