[comp.sys.amiga] PSound_3.0 hates Sonix 2.0

C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) (01/01/90)

Problem:  I can't get Perfect Sound 3.0 to run concurrently with Sonix 2.0 on
my 1 meg 2000.  I have tried launching Perfect Sound from the Workbench after
starting Sonix, but Psound refuses to load.  I tried it the other way with
Perfect Sound already loaded, but then Sonix won't run.  I get similar results
from the Shell by typing program names.  On the other hand, if I use 'run'
to start the programs, Perfect Sound gives me a return code of 10 and fails to
run...or Sonix gives a return code of 26 and fails.   I checked chip memory
before/during each attempt and there really should be plenty.  What is it that
these programs are fighting for??

I realize that on my 1 meg system I can't do too much with these two programs
if they are both running simultaneously, but it would still be useful to do and
really should be possible.  Right?  Or what's wrong?  Maybe bugs in PSound
and/or Sonix, or poor programming?  I'm not an Amiga programmer; why won't
these programs multitask?

   thanks and Happy New Year!

# Baird McIntosh (2nd yr CS/MATH) -- "Sure, *sue* me; you WON'T get Ami!" :-) #
# INTERNET: c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu <-or-> BITNET: c503719@umcvmb.bitnet  #
# "You can keep your toy soldiers to segregate the black and white, but when  #
#  the dust settles and the blood stops running, how do you sleep at night?"  #

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (01/03/90)

Baird,

My guess (for what it's worth) is that the two programs are fighting
for the serial port.  But if I'm wrong then that isn't it.  It sure
sounds like you are right about them fighting for something.  If you
have XOper, you should be able to see which program is grabbing what
resources.  Since I have fired up XOper only twice I can't be more
specific.  Sorry. :(

Dana @ cup.portal.com

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (01/03/90)

Oh, oh, oh!  Silly me!!  It's is more likely the audio channels they
are fighting over than the serial port.  Not that this insight helps
you out, Baird.  I would guess that the programmers didn't figure they
would need to share the resources the programs are fighting over.

Could one of the audio gurus comment on the feasability of programs
like DMCS, Sonix, Perfect Sound, etc. being designed to share the audio
resources?  Seems like it should be possible.

Dana @ cup.portal.com              "A little knowledge and...y'know"

mark@xrtll.UUCP (Mark Vange) (01/13/90)

In article <7158@nigel.udel.EDU>, C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) writes:
> Problem:  I can't get Perfect Sound 3.0 to run concurrently with Sonix 2.0 on
> my 1 meg 2000.  I have tried launching Perfect Sound from the Workbench after
> starting Sonix, but Psound refuses to load.  I tried it the other way with
> Perfect Sound already loaded, but then Sonix won't run.

Probably they are simply fighting for the audio channels...Sonix, at least,
will want all four.  Perfect Sound (being stereo) will want at least two.
Since they probably allocate them when they first start running, they refuse
to displace each other (and we ain't got 6 audio channels).

I suspect that's your conflict.

--
Mark Vange			   ...uunet!mnetor!yunexus!xrtll!mark
PAS Systems - "Plain and Simple"      Ph#:(416) 730-1352   mark@xrtll