[comp.sys.amiga] Memory expansion problems

hysell@kodak.UUCP (John Hysell) (01/13/90)

I am posting this for a friend who does not have a news feed, so please
mail any
helpful replies directly to doncart@kodak.com (Don Cartwright).

Don has an Amiga 1000 with the extra ram module bringing memory up to 512K.
He has added a MicroBotics memory expansion module to the side expansion port
to add another meg.  The expansion borad has been tested good by the
manufacturer, but Don's machine refuses to boot with it attached.  The noted
sympton at boot time is after inital drive access, the system loops endlessly
trying to load OS into RAM.

Any helpful avenues of investigation will be appreciated.  While I can walk
around in a PC or PS/2, I am fairly ignorant of the Amiga's architecture, and
have been of little help to Don.

Thanks (in advance...)
-John Hysell
hysell@kodak.com
hysell@kodak.uucp

scott@wilbur.uucp (Scott Beckstead) (01/14/90)

In article <2268@kodak.UUCP> hysell@kodak.UUCP (John Hysell) writes:
>I am posting this for a friend who does not have a news feed, so please
>mail any
>helpful replies directly to doncart@kodak.com (Don Cartwright).
>
>Don has an Amiga 1000 with the extra ram module bringing memory up to 512K.
>He has added a MicroBotics memory expansion module to the side expansion port
>to add another meg.  The expansion borad has been tested good by the
>manufacturer, but Don's machine refuses to boot with it attached.  The noted
>sympton at boot time is after inital drive access, the system loops endlessly
>trying to load OS into RAM.
>
>Any helpful avenues of investigation will be appreciated.  While I can walk
>around in a PC or PS/2, I am fairly ignorant of the Amiga's architecture, and
>have been of little help to Don.

I will also send this via mail but I thought since my previous postings were
here I would continue in that vein.  I added the PAL  grounding mod to my
A-1000 this morning (saturday) and installed the CSA '020 card and it is
working beautifuly.  I also have a starboard II with 2 meg and a multifunction
card.  Until I added the PAL ground mod the combination was good for a quick
trip to the GURU.  I suspect that this may be your friend's problem.  I don't
know if there is any way that Microbotics could have prevented this problem
from occurring but I doubt it.  My complaint is that once identified it was
a simple fix why would Microbotics not try to help me find the problem?
I am told (this is hearsay) that they consider the A-1000 a dead product
and understandably don't want to support it any more but I mean really.
CSA was extremely helpful in fixing this problem (first noted in feb 1988)
and has worked with me off and on for the past 2 years (appr.) Microbotics
did at first but apparently gave up at some time.  In any case to get off
my soap box the conclusion is if you add memory whether or not you add a
new processor GROUND the pals at the first sign of trouble.  If you don't
know how to do it take it to your dealer and have it done (i won't post
instructions here, I don't need the lawsuits).
Scott