[comp.sys.amiga] Newkermit.c|h in Vt100 2.9

C506634@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Eric Edwards) (01/16/90)

Does anybody know what the new kermit does that the old kermit module did not?
Which version is the executable in the Fish Fish 275 distribution linked to?

Also, does anybody know of a kermit for the amiga that support a "user defined
recovery string".  Someone on the IBM7171 list suggested that as a possible
solution to lockups caused by parity errors.

Bitnet:    C506634@umcvmb.bitnet                    __________________________
Internet:  C506634@umcvmb.missouri.edu             / \.--------.           /  \
"The Amiga just isn't reliable enough unless you   |  | Eric   |---------+    |
know a lot about the machine" -- Jerry Pournelle   |  `--------'         !    |
  ================================================||  .--------.         !    |
"I did notice that at my party people stood in     |  | Edwards|_________+    |
 line to play with the Amiga"-- Jerry Pournelle    | /`--------'             |
                           BYTE, October '88       \__________________________/

acs@pccuts.pcc.amdahl.com (Tony Sumrall) (01/16/90)

In article <8279@nigel.udel.EDU> C506634@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Eric Edwards) writes:
>Does anybody know what the new kermit does that the old kermit module did not?
>Which version is the executable in the Fish Fish 275 distribution linked to?

The new kermit modules were written by Steve Walton (author of the
original kermit routines for VT100, if I remember correctly) and are
basically rip-offs of a relatively current C-Kermit (4E(068)?).  The
source was "wart'ed" and then munged a bit to make it fit into the VT100
scheme of things.  It has hooks for remote operation of a server and so
on...most (if not all) of the things that the "real" kermit has in it.
(BTW, if Steve Walton's reading this, I've tried contacting you I don't
know how many times and my mail has always bounced except for the last
msg I sent.  Please contact me again).

Assuming that the one of Fish 275 is the same one I posted to the net, it
is linked with the old kermit modules.

>Also, does anybody know of a kermit for the amiga that support a "user defined
>recovery string".  Someone on the IBM7171 list suggested that as a possible
>solution to lockups caused by parity errors.

Sorry, can't help here.

--
Tony Sumrall   author of VT100 2.9 (and 2.8a and 2.8 and...)
acs@pccuts.pcc.amdahl.com <=> amdahl!pccuts!acs

[ Opinions expressed herein are the author's and should not be construed
  to reflect the views of Amdahl Corp. ]