[comp.sys.amiga] Disk went Bad!

aliu@nunki.usc.edu (Terminal Entry) (01/02/90)

Hi all.. (and Happy New Year!)

I need help with a disk went bad... I was running DNET and was doing some
other stuff at the time, and I gurued something the nice way (the Task
Held requester did come up)... I don't think DNET was the one that gurued,
most likely an IFF viewer I was fiddling with..

Anyway. I tried to reboot after I saved my stuff, not the disk is not
bootable anymore!  It gurus every time I try to boot it up, even before
reading the preferences. (gives me a guru 8700000B.265F48F1, which I have
NO idea what means, just something related to DOS)

I tried VirusX to see maybe I got 'infected', but it gurus every time it
attempts to read the bootblock...

My question is, is there any way I can recover my stuff on there? I have
an A500 w1meg, 1.3 ROMs, 1.3 WB.. Is there a program I am overlooking that
would let me recover it, or maybe reformat the bootblock only? I tried
INSTALLing the disk, but alas, it gurued..

Thanks.

In <7212@chaph.usc.edu>, aliu@nunki.usc.edu (Terminal Entry) writes:

>I tried VirusX to see maybe I got 'infected', but it gurus every time it
>attempts to read the bootblock...
>
>My question is, is there any way I can recover my stuff on there? I have
>an A500 w1meg, 1.3 ROMs, 1.3 WB.. Is there a program I am overlooking that
>would let me recover it, or maybe reformat the bootblock only? I tried
>INSTALLing the disk, but alas, it gurued..

As always, DiskSalv is the answer (when isn't it?). Use DiskSalv with the
NOCHECK option. The reason you are visiting the GURU is because the bootblock
is corrput, and gets looked at when you isnert the disk to do any 'normal'
operation. DiskSalv allows you to bypass the validator when you insert the
disk.

-larry

--
" All I ask of my body is that it carry around my head."
         - Thomas Alva Edison -

C475141@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Brian Whitman) (01/16/90)

When is DiskSalv not the answer?  It seems to me always.  I have never
been able to get the blasted thing to work.  I have sent in comments to
C.S.A and noone seems to deem it necessary to enlighten me on what I am
doing wrong.  In fact I had another person say that they were having the
exact same problems.  They were using a 2000 I believe (it has been a
couple months now).  If you would help me out I would gladly recant my
above statement.

Here is the setup   A1000 w/ 512k one external 3.5 drive, a modem, and
a printer. (Modem and printer shouldn't make any difference but anyways.)

My attempt (and please forgive me for I don't have the docs here in front
of me and it has been about 2 to 3 months since I have tried to do any-
thing with it) was to do
        DISKSALV DF1:
It loads DISKSLAV and then ask to insert the diskette into DF1:.  I do
and press return.  It starts crunching away.  I don't remember what it
says something about reading diskete and then it ran out of storage.
So I looked back through the docs for how do only a segment thinking
that I could split it up into about 4 or 5 segments.

I started with like track 0 to 19 I think. still the same problem.  I
wound down to doing only bocks of 3 tracks I think and still the same
problem - "Out of memory"  That is when I decided that DiskSalv was a
piece of trash.  If you can change my mind I would appreciate it.

I will probably go home and try it again and write you the real
results later on tonight.  But please help me get this thing to working.
    __                  ___
   /  >                /       /    //
  /--<  ._ ' _   ._   /--     /    //__ ' -/- .___  _  .__
 /___/ /  / <__/ /  /___ o  /_/_//  /_/_/__/ / /_<__/ /
 C475141@UMCVMB.Bitnet           C475141@Missouri.edu

billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) (01/16/90)

In article <8258@nigel.udel.EDU: C475141@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Brian Whitman) writes:
:My attempt (and please forgive me for I don't have the docs here in front
:of me and it has been about 2 to 3 months since I have tried to do any-
:thing with it) was to do
:        DISKSALV DF1:

	A couple of things... Disksalv is set up to be used between two disks.
Try putting a formatted disk into DF1: and the bad disk into DF0: and do a:
	DiskSalv DF0: DF1:
Answer (Y)es to the first prompt, and away you go! Also check to see that you
are using the latest version. (1.42 or 1.5, I think...)

: C475141@UMCVMB.Bitnet           C475141@Missouri.edu

--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
Bejed, Inc.       NES, Inc.        Northwest Amiga Group    At Home Sometimes