[comp.sys.amiga] Answering Machine

antunes@ASTRO.PSU.EDU (Sandy Antunes) (01/12/90)

Hello!  I am planning to try and implement an idea, and I thought I would
check the net to see if anyone has done it or thought about it yet.

The Idea:  write a program that monitors the modem and answers incoming
   calls.  It then procedes to use the speech capability to answer the
   call with a message (from an easily changed script file), then hangs
   up (I doubt it could record messages! :-)

The Questions:
   1)  Is this do-able?
   2)  Has anyone done something that does this already?
   3)  Any useful hints?
   4)  Would it be possible to make the program activate a tape recorder
       (also hooked to the line?) and record messages?  This question is
       mostly of the "as long as I'm asking" variety...   :-)

If anyone has any comments, email would be fine.  I will summarize any
earthshattering answers or results, if needed.
------------
Sandy Antunes   "the Waupelani Kid" 'cause that's where I live...
antunes@astro.psu.edu                 Penn State Astronomy Dept
------------        "que sera c'est la via"         -------------

stefan@sherlock.cs.concordia.ca (BUCHHOLZ) (01/12/90)

It's being done, A friend of mine is working on it.  Near completion...

hamilton@intersil.uucp (Fred Hamilton) (01/12/90)

In article <9001112057.AA09595@nomad>, antunes@ASTRO.PSU.EDU (Sandy Antunes) writes:
> Hello!  I am planning to try and implement an idea, and I thought I would
> check the net to see if anyone has done it or thought about it yet.
>
> The Idea:  write a program that monitors the modem and answers incoming
>    calls.  It then procedes to use the speech capability to answer the
>    call with a message (from an easily changed script file), then hangs
>    up (I doubt it could record messages! :-)
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sure it could, if you've got any of the Amiga audio samplers out there.

> The Questions:
>    1)  Is this do-able?

YES!

>    2)  Has anyone done something that does this already?

Dunno.  I've thought about it before but I've never gotten a round tuit.

>    3)  Any useful hints?

The main technical difficulty will be coupling the Amiga's audio output
to the phone line.  I suspect one of those 1K-1K isolation transformers
with a capacitor in series with it on the phone line side would be best.

Use another transformer for the digitizer if you decide to do that.  Radio
Shack used to sell them.

>    4)  Would it be possible to make the program activate a tape recorder
>        (also hooked to the line?) and record messages?  This question is
>        mostly of the "as long as I'm asking" variety...   :-)

This is possible.  I think Amazing has recently had some articles on
controlling external hardware along those lines.

--
Fred Hamilton                  Any views, comments, or ideas expressed here
Harris Semiconductor           are entirely my own.  Even good ones.

robin@sabre.uucp (Robin D. Wilson/1000000) (01/12/90)

In article <9001112057.AA09595@nomad> antunes@ASTRO.PSU.EDU (Sandy Antunes) writes:
>Hello!  I am planning to try and implement an idea, and I thought I would
>check the net to see if anyone has done it or thought about it yet.
>
>The Idea:  write a program that monitors the modem and answers incoming
>   calls.  It then procedes to use the speech capability to answer the
>   call with a message (from an easily changed script file), then hangs
>   up (I doubt it could record messages! :-)

It would probably be hardest to get the modem to talk in any language other
than carrier tone.  (That's the high pitched squeal you hear when you pick
the line that the modem is using.

BTW,  Commodore announced just such a product (It had a built in modem, but it
also had voice answer capability as well), that was supposed to allow you to
record voice mail on you Amiga's system resources.  They later scrapped it.
I never heard why, but I would have bought one.  If you are able to come up
with the hardware hack you need to get your's working, let me know, I'll
consider buying one (heck, if it's good enough, I would even consider investing
in a company to manufacture one.)

|The views expressed herein, are the sole responsibility of the typist at hand|
|USNail:                               UUCP:                                  |
|2323 Wells Branch Pkwy., #G107        cs.utexas.edu!romp!ibmchs!auschs\      |
|Austin, TX  78728                     !sabre.austin.ibm.com!robin            |
|Home: (512)251-6889                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^<-MUST BE INCLUDED|

erd@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (Ethan R Dicks) (01/13/90)

In article <2934@d75.UUCP> robin@reed.UUCP (Robin D. Wilson/1000000) writes:
>In article <9001112057.AA09595@nomad> antunes@ASTRO.PSU.EDU (Sandy Antunes) writes:
>>Hello!  I am planning to try and implement an idea, and I thought I would
>>check the net to see if anyone has done it or thought about it yet.
>>
>>The Idea:  write a program that monitors the modem and answers incoming
>>   calls.  It then procedes to use the speech capability to answer the
>>   call with a message (from an easily changed script file), then hangs
>>   up (I doubt it could record messages! :-)

>It would probably be hardest to get the modem to talk in any language other
>than carrier tone.  (That's the high pitched squeal you hear when you pick
>the line that the modem is using.

If you could get your hands on a cheap 1200/300 auto-answer modem, with the
schematic, it should not be difficult to hack it.  It would probably be
easier to buy a cheap answering machine and to hack the audio circuit to
accept input from the Amiga's audio-out port.  If I remember correctly, there
are audio pins on the RS-232 port.  Make a cable which grabs all the needed
pins and passes the normal pins on to the modem.  There should also be
a couple of unused signals on the serial port which could be monitored to
interrupt the Amiga and tell it to speak, as well as for the Amiga to
activate the tape recorder.

How does it sound so far?

-ethan

--
Ethan R. Dicks       | ######  This signifies that the poster is a member in
Software Results Corp|   ##    good sitting of Inertia House: Bodies at rest.

ammrk@swbatl.UUCP (Mike R. Kraml) (01/13/90)

In article <75609@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Ethan R Dicks <erd@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>In article <2934@d75.UUCP> robin@reed.UUCP (Robin D. Wilson/1000000) writes:
>>In article <9001112057.AA09595@nomad> antunes@ASTRO.PSU.EDU (Sandy Antunes) writes:
>>>Hello!  I am planning to try and implement an idea, and I thought I would
>>>check the net to see if anyone has done it or thought about it yet.
>>>
>>>The Idea:  write a program that monitors the modem and answers incoming
>>>   calls.  It then procedes to use the speech capability to answer the
>>>   call with a message (from an easily changed script file), then hangs
>>>   up (I doubt it could record messages! :-)
>
>>ETC ETC ETC
I have made an autoanswer, full digital answering machine with DTMF menus, etc,
If you own a Mimetics Joystick digitizer, and don't mind interfacing to your
parallel port, I can offer you a mail message on how I did this.  The hardest
part was figuring out how to read the joystick sampler, once I did that, the
rest just kind of fell into place.  It works quite well, very good quality
speech, but tends to be a memory hog.  Anyway,  just let me know, and good
luck.  Mike...

  Mike Kraml - Manager-Separations MECHANIZATION - SWBT - (The Techies)
  UUCP: {uunet, bellcore, texbell}...!swbatl!slims!ammrk

mks@cbmvax.commodore.com (Michael Sinz - CATS) (01/13/90)

In article <9001112057.AA09595@nomad> antunes@ASTRO.PSU.EDU (Sandy Antunes) writes:
>Hello!  I am planning to try and implement an idea, and I thought I would
>check the net to see if anyone has done it or thought about it yet.
>
>The Idea:  write a program that monitors the modem and answers incoming
>   calls.  It then procedes to use the speech capability to answer the
>   call with a message (from an easily changed script file), then hangs
>   up (I doubt it could record messages! :-)
>
>The Questions:
>   1)  Is this do-able?
>   2)  Has anyone done something that does this already?
>   3)  Any useful hints?
>   4)  Would it be possible to make the program activate a tape recorder
>       (also hooked to the line?) and record messages?  This question is
>       mostly of the "as long as I'm asking" variety...   :-)

Well, I never got the thing, but back at in the beginning of time (1985, July)
a company, who just introduced a machine called "Amiga 1000" had, as one
of the "Ready Now" enhancements, an answering machine like what you want.
But then EA was to have PinBall Construction Set and the EnableGroup was
to have Enable (EnableWrite, EnableCalc, etc.)  And there was a whole bunch
of other items that I am still waiting for.

>------------
>Sandy Antunes   "the Waupelani Kid" 'cause that's where I live...
>antunes@astro.psu.edu                 Penn State Astronomy Dept
>------------        "que sera c'est la via"         -------------

Disclaimer:  I did not work for Commodore back then and they don't
             know how and what I think about those days.  (Being a
             member of the initial Amiga Developer group...)

/----------------------------------------------------------------------\
|      /// Michael Sinz -- CATS/Amiga Software Engineer                |
|     ///  PHONE 215-431-9422  UUCP ( uunet | rutgers ) !cbmvax!mks    |
|    ///                                                               |
|\\\///          When people are free to do as they please,            |
| \XX/                they usually imitate each other.                 |

rod@venera.isi.edu (Rodney Doyle Van Meter III) (01/13/90)

The easy but expensive (for personal use) approach: get a bridge board
and plug in a Voice Mail card. I've seen ones that plug into the PC,
and supposedly use only 1 megabyte of disk for 5 minutes of message,
for $700 or $800. No idea how well they work, but it was geared
toward a good sized office, with up to 999 mailboxes.

		--Rod

jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) (01/13/90)

Guys, guys, what you are talking about exists in the IBM world.  It's
called Watson.  And it works quite well.  Perhaps someone might want
to persuade the company to port it to the Amiga, as it doesn't
tie up the parallel port or their joystick port...
--
John  M.  Adams    --*--    Professional Student on the six-year plan!
Internet:  jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu   -or-   vladimir@maple.circa.ufl.edu

In article <21767@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) writes:
>Guys, guys, what you are talking about exists in the IBM world.  It's
>called Watson.  And it works quite well.  Perhaps someone might want
>to persuade the company to port it to the Amiga, as it doesn't
>tie up the parallel port or their joystick port...
>--
>John  M.  Adams    --*--    Professional Student on the six-year plan!
>Internet:  jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu   -or-   vladimir@maple.circa.ufl.edu
>"Houston, we have a negative on that orbit trajectory." Calvin & Hobbs

I am sure everyone realizes that this product is available in the PC world.
I think the questions started as to how can it be done on the amiga.  Well,
the one I built was done very easily, useing the Mimetic's joystick sampler,
and a simple parallel interface, an inexpensive DTMF decoder, (available at
your local radio shack), and a little time and it was built.  It provides a
simple mail box function, full touch tone driven, and with the INTERNAL audio
capabilities, amiga voice was added at no extra cost.  The total price, well,
about $100.00 including the digitizer.  This could have been done for about
$20.00 using the parallel port build your own digitizer, and the joystick port
to drive the interface, but I happen to have the joystick digitizer laying
around from my music stuff, so for me it was much more practicle.  Anyway,
I hope this helps all you hacks out there wanting to build Voice mail boxes,
I must admit there is some low level routines to read the digitizer in real
time and controll the i/o (to drive the relays and such), but its always fun
to learn a new trick.  Catch ya all later, Mike...

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (01/14/90)

In article <21767@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) writes:
|Guys, guys, what you are talking about exists in the IBM world.  It's
|called Watson.  And it works quite well.  Perhaps someone might want
|to persuade the company to port it to the Amiga, as it doesn't
|tie up the parallel port or their joystick port...

	How about just using the existing product
	with the Bridge Board?

--
  ,,,,	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \$$/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

dannie@coplex.UUCP (Dannie Gregoire) (01/16/90)

	I have had a similar idea in creating an Amiga answering machine.
	The route I wanted to take was to impliment touch-tones.  I wanted
	somw way of getting the amiga to recognize touch-tones.  Thus I could
	give all of my friends a touch tone code. When they called, they could
	get a personallized message that only they would hear.  All those
	without codes would get the standard "I'm not here" message as a
	default.  Messages could then be left via a digitizer.

	This "device" would also be usefull in screening phone calls.  A sort
	of screening mode could be implimented, whereas if a correct touch-tone
	code was not entered, the phone would be hung up, or a busy signal/ring
	could be played.  If a correct code was entered, a secondary phone
	ringer could be activated.

	Anyone who has some ideas on bringing this who thing together
	let me know.
   | |\ /\   Prove that you exist, and I'll listen to you!  \   / |
   | |/.\/.        Dannie Gregoire  (dannie@coplex)  `Roof!'- U	  |